Precision approach now breaking out

If that's how you do it in a single-pilot aircraft, and don't look up until reaching DH/DA, you are very poorly trained on both FAA-recommended procedure and the regulations.
That's an interesting observation. I'll be sure to inform my present and past employers who have provided agency training, corporate training in-house, and training through substandard services such as Flight Safety International and CAE Simuflite. Perhaps it's coincidence that this training has been universally the same in various types of turbojets, turboprops, and piston aircraft, including large four engine radial aircraft.

Perhaps everyone is doing it wrong, except you. As a check airman, I must be doing it all wrong, but you've already said that. Clearly my flight and ground instruction given has been in error, as have my operations as a commercial pilot and ATP. FSI and CAE Simuflite got it wrong too, it seems. I won't be informing them, but you probably should. My present and previous employes apparently don't have it right, either. We do this daily all over the world, day in, day out in all kinds of weather, thousands of times a year, but I'm more than willing to concede that you've probably got it pegged, and we've all got it wrong. I've done this, taught this, practiced this, and been taught this all over the globe, on every continent but antarctica. I get regular checkrides and recurrent training, including rides with the FAA on occasion; all are apparently in error. I'm very fortunate to have found your guidance. You've already spotted glaring errors in our aircraft flight manual, an FAA approved document by which we're bound, and now you've seen what none of the rest of us could see. Thanks!

The only problem I see with your point of view, of course, is the basic concept that the decision to go around isn't made before decision height, but at decision height. MDA is a hard deck, and DH is not. Therefore, what's seen on the way down to DH isn't relevant (unless one sees the runway early, of course, or a spurious mountain goat in mid air on final, both of which may assist in making a proper decision). What one sees at DH, however, is very relevant; if one sees the required visual references at DH, then one may continue. If one does not, one must execute the missed approach.

The approach procedure must be flown with close attention paid to the needles on the way to DH. While a two-pilot crew can have the FO looking out, the person doing the flying should concentrate on flying. If, at arrival at DH, one doesn't have the references, cob the power, avoid the towers, and climb. Up, preferably.

If this basic, common sense, legal, correct way of flying bothers you, one can only imagine how you'd react to some of the other procedures I've needed, such as flying one or two dots right and high on ILS and PAR into Mosul, to avoid ground fire on final, or the development of distance and altitude letdowns in sandstorms in combat areas when there was nowhere else to go. Rather than get your blood pressure up, we'll stick with the basics, like making a decision at DECISION altitude, that hallowed place where one can't really make a decision without the basic criteria with which to decide; namely, whether one sees the required visual references upon arrival at DH.

You'll argue the point, of course, even in the face of quoted material from our B747 AOM. Perhaps you can set the FAA straight on all that too, and change our procedures: after all, we won't need to limit pitch attitude on the missed approach if ground contact isn't a possibility. Be sure to pick up a 747 type rating and try it yourself a few times first, of course. Let us know how it works out, after you get done lecturing our training department and cadre of check airmen about your procedures, and understanding thereof. They'll be thrilled that you stopped by.

That is the only time a mometary touchdown may occur; not on a CAT II.

When Ron's done lecturing everyone, I guess you're next in line. They'll be thrilled that you stopped by, too.

Last edited:
What's this from 14 CFR Part 1...definitions of words found in the regulations that use eerily similiar language to what has already been given. Go figure...

Decision altitude (DA) is a specified altitude in an instrument approach procedure at which the pilot must decide whether to initiate an immediate missed approach if the pilot does not see the required visual reference, or to continue the approach. Decision altitude is expressed in feet above mean sea level.

Decision height (DH) is a specified height above the ground in an instrument approach procedure at which the pilot must decide whether to initiate an immediate missed approach if the pilot does not see the required visual reference, or to continue the approach. Decision height is expressed in feet above ground level.

Could it possibly be that we're actually directed to make a decision at DH?

Could it possibly be that we need to have current, correct information at DH?

Could it be that we need to know if the runway is in sight or the necessary visual references are met at the time of arrival at DH?

If you answered yes to all three, you win!

Yes, you need to make a decision at the decision height. Yes you need current, correct information to make that decision and that's not what you say two hundred feet higher on the procedure, and it's not what you saw last week. It's what you see right here, right now at DH. That requires looking. If you don't look, you won't know. Therefore, look.

Mannnnnn I thought this was a simple question that would get one liner responses.:idea::D

Mannnnnn I thought this was a simple question that would get one liner responses.:idea::D
Not to mention that the FAA sends people out to monitor DH all the time or that all of this discussion will not make anyone change the way they do it.

:nonod:

I said I'd have a hard time seeing the worlds largest aircraft touching asphalt on a Cat I missed approach. To clarify I was talking about the DA and not the 100' HAT thing. Sorry if that ruffled any feathers...

The only time I have ever "touched down" on a go around (missed approach) was when the go around was called at about 50 feet and I was a tad late in reacting. And this was only in the sim. Never had to do it for real.

If that's how you do it in a single-pilot aircraft, and don't look up until reaching DH/DA, you are very poorly trained on both FAA-recommended procedure and the regulations.

Common Ron, that wasn't called for. On this topic your understanding isn't consistent with everyone else's. You have it set in you're mind one way...but it's not how the rest of the ILS shooting world sees it.

That said, I can't imagine a situation where the controllers require you to keep up so much speed that you can't transition from approach to landing flaps in close. Typically, the majority of the trim change comes with the first notch of flaps, and that means you have a lot less to deal with when selecting landing flaps at 200 feet or so. OTOH, trying to land a Cardinal RG at 100 KIAS seems an unwise choice no matter what the controller says.
No, this is what I've always done at "breakout": pull power, bring the nose up, dump the flaps, and flare. I was responding to your preference to maintain the stabilized approach all the way to landing, and of course I've never done this for real in an approach to minimums. My point was simply that the only way to do that and still fly the approach the way I was taught is not to transition to landing flaps at all, but to land with approach flaps.

And this was only in the sim. Never had to do it for real.

I have.

I said I'd have a hard time seeing the worlds largest aircraft touching asphalt on a Cat I missed approach.

The airplane isn't actually the world's largest, but it's close. It's big enough that there's a significant disparity between the distance from the gear to the ground, and from the cockpit to the ground. The wheel altitude isn't the same as the cockpit altitude. If we're seeing 200' on the barometric altimeter, the wheels are already at a lower altitude.

We have a rotation pitch attitude on a go-around of 9 degrees; this establishes an initial climbing attitude, but doesn't over-rotate in the even that the airplane touches the ground during the go-around. the normal descent rate on approach is about 800 fpm. By the time we in the cockpit are at a 200' DA, the gear is approaching 100', and We're still descending. In five seconds it will be reaching the ground; that's five seconds to initially rotate, while calling for climb thrust, and for the flight engineer to set the thrust, and while calling for the pilot not flying to retract flaps to 20 degrees, and the pilot not flying to do it. Pitch and climb isn't simultaneous, and we can't pitch and slow down, because we're already as slow as we're going to go during the approach and missed. The result? The airplane keeps going downhill until it starts going up, which takes some time.

The EGPWS gives us a voice alert approaching minimums, and then at minimums, and that's based on the radio altimeter; the gear is lower. On a category 1 approach, our former requirements were autopilot disconnect at 100' for threshold crossing heights greater than 47' (but 150' for approaches to a TCH of 47' or less), for the same reasons we have a maximum pitch angle on the missed. Bear in mind also that the missed approach is executed for us when, upon arrival at DA, the pilot not flying announces "Decision Altitude, Runway Not In Sight." At that point, and not before (especially when flying the procedure to minimums, which it often is in dust, sand, and weather), the pilot flying will loudly announce the go around and give the appropriate commands. The aircraft is descending during that time.

To turn that 630,000 lb landing weight from going down at 800 fpm to a climb, after the missed is decided AT DECISION ALTITUDE, while providing the commands to other crew members to configure and power up, isn't an instant action, and the aircraft can and will continue to descend during that time; it's part of the reason that we train to follow the glidesope all the way down, and to keep the needles centered to a touchdown.

Another wrench in the works is antenna switching, which takes place when the gear is lowered. Our glideslope antennas switch from a position on the nose to a position on the gear; if that switching doesn't take place, the airplane won't be at the same altitude over the threshold, or at the MAP, for that matter.

That the airplane will be below DA/DH during the missed procedure if the missed is executed at minimums (we always plan on minimums, and it's not that uncommon to be at minimums in many of the locations we fly) is a given. How far below minimums depends on various factors, but it's not like going missed in a 172. Regardless, there's no prohibition against going below DA. Given that it's the point where the decision is made, and given that simple physics tells us that if we're going downhill at the time the decision is made, barring an instantaneous change indirection (isn't going to happen at 630,000 lbs landing weight, guaranteed), the airplane will keep going downhill. There's not a lot of time between arrival at DA and arrival at the ground, especially with a lot of airplane a long way back and a long way below.

Another wrench in the works is antenna switching, which takes place when the gear is lowered. Our glideslope antennas switch from a position on the nose to a position on the gear; if that switching doesn't take place, the airplane won't be at the same altitude over the threshold, or at the MAP, for that matter.

That is a very cool detail you shared, for this old radio geek. Switch antennas... Neat!

These are really old airplanes (comparitively speaking). We have amber lights on the forward annunciator panel which illuminate if the antenna switching doesn't take place with the gear down and locked. We're supposed to make a correction in that case, along with executing a checklist, but I don't know anyone that would run the checklist at that point in the approach,and for the amount of fuel we would burn going around (and given that we don't arrive places with a lot left), we're not going to go somewhere and sort it out.

Most keep trucking down the glideslope and land.

In the simulator I'd go around, though. We seem to have a never ending supply of fuel, there. It's not the same in Khaborovosk, Russia, however, where the nearest alternate is Vladivostok or Harbin, China. In a light airplane, we like to say "go-arounds are free," but in situations like this, go arounds are very costly at a time when there's not a lot to go around.

Doug- Why isn't the altimeter calibrated to the height of the wheels? IOW when the wheels are at 0'MSL the altimeter should be reading 0'MSL instead of cabin height. It seems dangerous to me to go full power when the wheels may have touched down. It also seems a dangerous possibility for pilot error to cause a missed approach (touchdown in a location other than a runway) then attempt to escape the situation.

You will if you ever get a chance to fly an ILS with the weather near or at visibility minimums. Practice approaches under the hood cannot come close to simulating the transition from gauges to visual that exists in poor visibility.

I did my first ILS with low visibility this sunday. I broke out somewhat cleanly at 900 (runway is at 250ft) but did not have the runway in sight. I stayed on the needles. At 750, I thought I had the runway in sight. At 700, I was sure. At 650, I knew the landing was assured and took over 100% visually.

I did my first ILS with low visibility this sunday. I broke out somewhat cleanly at 900 (runway is at 250ft) but did not have the runway in sight. I stayed on the needles. At 750, I thought I had the runway in sight. At 700, I was sure. At 650, I knew the landing was assured and took over 100% visually.
Sounds good. A common mistake is to catch a glimpse of the approach lights and head for them, putting you low on the approach before the runway is in sight.

Sounds good. A common mistake is to catch a glimpse of the approach lights and head for them, putting you low on the approach before the runway is in sight.

It was daytime, but i'll keep that in mind for future night approaches.

One thing I may or may not have done on sunday could have been... bad. I have heard that canceling IFR upon breaking out, when coming into a field that is IFR can get you in trouble. For example, coming into a towered field, a pilot cancels at 300 feet agl after breaking out. This happened in some article I read, and the pilot had to take remedial training after getting busted.

If I were to cancel with nearby approach control after landing was assured at 400agl, would I be breaking any rules? or am I ok because of class G airspace. The field was uncontrolled. Probably a bad habit to get into regardless.

Never cancel with a towered field...well, almost never. I've done it maybe twice ever. It's EXTREAMLY rare that you should do this.

As far as uncontrolled goes, cancel with approach or center IF, and only IF, the ceiling is high enough for you to go missed and STAY VFR in the pattern. When you cancel you assume VFR could clearance minimums and since you just shot an approach youre at least in Class E and that means at least the 3-152 thing.

You don't want to cancel on a single runway (two for Sara) airport and have a deer walk out on the runway(s) and have nowhere to go. Just don't forget to call and cancel on the ground. Many times you can get them on the radio. If it looks like I'm going to mins at an uncontrolled airport I'll ask approach before the handoff to CTAF if I can get him on the ground. They have always known the answer to that question.

Last edited:
Never cancel with a towered field...well, almost never. I've done it maybe twice ever. It's EXTREAMLY rare that you should do this.

As far as uncontrolled goes, cancel with approach or center IF, and only IF, the ceiling is high enough for you to go missed and STAY VFR in the pattern. When you cancel you assume VFR could clearance minimums and since you just shot an approach youre at least in Class E and that means at least the 3-152 thing.

But under 700' AGL I am in class G correct? I just have to maintain clear of clouds. E rarely goes all the way to the ground

And also, has anyone ever been to an airport with a working GCO.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, if your TPA is 1,000 feet I would cancel at an uncontrolled field unless the ceiling was AT LEAST 1,500 and no terrain. Higher with terrain that may affect a pattern.

But under 700' AGL I am in class G correct? I just have to maintain clear of clouds. E rarely goes all the way to the ground

Are you going to fly a 500' pattern to save yourself a phone call? How ya going to stay 500' above buildings? Fly 600'?

Anything goes wrong and you're going to be in a bad spot.

Are you going to fly a 500' pattern to save yourself a phone call? How ya going to stay 500' above buildings? Fly 600'?

Anything goes wrong and you're going to be in a bad spot.

As I mentioned earlier, probably not a great habit to get into. Though it would be legal in this scenario.

i'm fine flying a 500' pattern actually.

Last edited:
I meant 'nope' to "probably not a great habit to get into".

Again, why put yourself in that spot? So you don't have to make a phone call in 5 minutes? Plus, is switching freqs (CTAF to approach) and trying to make contact to cancel a good idea at 500' AGL?

Me, I'd just land and then cancle.

Last edited:
Again, why put yourself in that spot? So you don't have to make a phone call in 5 minutes? Plus, is switching Fred (CTAF to approach) and trying to make contact to cancel a good idea at 500' AGL?

Me, I'd just land.

It was pretty damn easy. At 500 feet agl, no one in the pattern, probably about 65kt groundspeed, daytime, a runway I have landed on 1000 times very much in sight. Approach was not busy.

If I were to cancel with nearby approach control after landing was assured at 400agl, would I be breaking any rules? or am I ok because of class G airspace. The field was uncontrolled. Probably a bad habit to get into regardless.

What happens if for any reason you decide to abort the landing and have to head back for the clouds?

Another thing to consider is once you cancle approach can now launch another plane on the IAP. They could breakout at your 700' and find you 200' below them flying your VFR pattern. Hopefully CTAF would deconflict this. What if your in the downwind at 500' and someone announces final on the approach? How far are you going to extend downwind at 500'?

All things to consider. I'm still not hearing a good reason to do any of this. A saved phone call is the best we"ve come up with.

You get on the ground and call 1-800-wx-brief and tell them to close your IFR plan.

What happens if for any reason you decide to abort the landing and have to head back for the clouds?

Like I said in every single previous post, not the best habit to get into. It would put me in a tough spot. But with 6500x100 runway I was pretty sure I could find somewhere to put the little 152 down. I know I can reach the local approach frequencies from as low as 100AGL so i'd probably fly a 500' pattern and contact them to get a pop up clearance.

The advice never to cancel unless you can fly a standard VFR pattern is good advice.

Last edited:
Doug- Why isn't the altimeter calibrated to the height of the wheels? IOW when the wheels are at 0'MSL the altimeter should be reading 0'MSL instead of cabin height. It seems dangerous to me to go full power when the wheels may have touched down. It also seems a dangerous possibility for pilot error to cause a missed approach (touchdown in a location other than a runway) then attempt to escape the situation.

The altimeter indicates whatever one sets in the window. The altimeters will never quite agree; one will always be higher or lower than the other, though not by much. It's very common to see about 50' difference between the two in cruise, although perhaps ten to sometimes twenty on the ground.

Sitting on the ramp, we're 26' feet higher than the wheels, in a level attitude. We're much higher than that, however, when pitched to land. The drop from the main deck door to the ramp is 16' when loaded; if we're empty and the gear is stretched, we're a bit taller.

As for being where one is supposed to be on landing, tha'ts a crew issue. The answer is simple: be where you're supposed to be. That's why we don't give up the localizer or glideslope when we go visual, or when we get toward the bottom end of the approach; we fly it to the ground. Let's face it; were it a Cat II or III approach, we'd be expecting to find the ground with very little visual reference, or no visual reference, and we need to be in the touchdown zone, on speed and on centerline every single time (no exceptions).

One thing I may or may not have done on sunday could have been... bad. I have heard that canceling IFR upon breaking out, when coming into a field that is IFR can get you in trouble. For example, coming into a towered field, a pilot cancels at 300 feet agl after breaking out. This happened in some article I read, and the pilot had to take remedial training after getting busted.

There are times when it's quite appropriate. With a tower, there's no need to cancel, but there are times when one would do well to cancel (assuming it's acceptable to one's employer, if that's the case, or to one's insurance if renting, etc) to free up the airspace for the next guy.

If you're breaking out at 300', that's not the time to be worried about freeing up airspace. That's the time to be concentrating on getting safely to the ground. If it's tower controlled, then cancelling isn't necessary. If it's not tower controlled, then wait until on the ground to cancel. There's no reason to do it at 300' while you're flying a single pilot, single engine IMC approach. Plenty of time to cancel when you're on the ground, not having to worry about going missed.

The guy who got busted was pressured by atc to cancel so airspace could be freed. He broke out cleanly but the field was reporting ifr. It's controlled airspace all the way to the ground, so 1mi clear of clouds did not apply.

... I broke out at 650 and canceled about 500agl. It did not seem like a big deal at the time. The weather exceeded circling minimums. Remember I am coming down the ils with about 65 kt ground speed. C-152, nice headwind. Nothing was rushed.

Last edited:
Breaking out at 650' and canceling is crazy. Even if it's legal there is zero reason to put yourself in that spot. I sure wish I could wrap my head around what your after here. Are you looking for support for this? I don't think you're going to find it.

Breaking out at 650' and canceling is crazy. Even if it's legal there is zero reason to put yourself in that spot. I sure wish I could wrap my head around what your after here. Are you looking for support for this? I don't think you're going to find it.

Doug's previous post seems to indicate that he thought I broke out at 300 feet. That would be quite different. I didn't want anyone thinking I canceled on breaking out just above minimums.

Last edited:
In my book 650' is "just above minimums".

In my book 650' is "just above minimums".

my only point was that there are some options available in the unlikely event I could not find a place to put my bird down upon breaking out at 650 vs 300 feet. Had the clouds and visibility been LIFR, my only recourse would be an illegal an irresponsible climb back into the clouds.

Last edited:
Breaking out at 650' and canceling is crazy.
I'm not sure I'd say "crazy," but I would buy "unwise." At that point, diverting my attention from focusing on making a good landing in poor conditions to fiddle with the radios to go from CTAF back to talk with Approach is not on my list of smart things to do.

Last edited:
my only point was that there are some options available in the unlikely event I could not find a place to put my bird down upon breaking out at 650 vs 300 feet. Had the clouds and visibility been LIFR, my only recourse would be an illegal an irresponsible climb back into the clouds.

What are you talking about???

If you just shot an approach and broke out why can't you 'put your bird down upon' the RUNWAY right in front of you? If you can't because a water buffalo is jackknifed in the middle of it then go missed and reasses.

Why are you insistent that you need to cancel?

Back