Precious Bodily Fluids!

I bet they get paid for doing the testing too.

Fun story for you. Great Britain carried out the 100,000 genomes project. Amazing resource. They got some DNA sequences (I don't think they did whole genome sequencing) on 100,000 people with a very complete medical history, and then made it free for the whole world to use. This has become and incredible resource for geneticists around the world. This data has had a hand in just about every big genetics discovery since it came out. You all probably think they blew it, giving all that intel to hostile state actors. Here's the rub, the guys in charge of the NHS love it. They see the whole world studying the British people, and everything discovered is going to help the British most of all.

Well, Sterling Hayden actually.

I was referring to Scott's portrayal of General "Buck" Turgidson. He was a caricature of General Curtis LeMay, and he played it perfectly. Another classic character was Major "King" Kong, played by Slim Pickens. His recital of the crew's survival pack contents is hilarious.

I was referring to Scott's portrayal of General "Buck" Turgidson. He was a caricature of General Curtis LeMay, and he played it perfectly. Another classic character was Major "King" Kong, played by Slim Pickens. His recital of the crew's survival pack contents is hilarious.
Well boys, it looks like nuclear combat toe to toe with the Ruski's :lol:

Fun story for you. Great Britain carried out the 100,000 genomes project. Amazing resource. They got some DNA sequences (I don't think they did whole genome sequencing) on 100,000 people with a very complete medical history, and then made it free for the whole world to use. This has become and incredible resource for geneticists around the world. This data has had a hand in just about every big genetics discovery since it came out. You all probably think they blew it, giving all that intel to hostile state actors. Here's the rub, the guys in charge of the NHS love it. They see the whole world studying the British people, and everything discovered is going to help the British most of all.
I don’t think they blew it. I do have concerns about the non medical, non research uses to which DNA data can and undoubtedly will be put. If there’s a way to make a buck or gain control of people’s lives with it, that way will be found and exploited. You can’t simply blow off valid ethical concerns. Besides, what is being discussed here is nowhere near the same thing. I very deeply doubt the Chinese (or, for that matter, any US commercial concern) is going to collect DNA data for pure research purposes. They’re doing it for profit and power.

I can probably come up with a very enlightened and beneficial use for the personal and banking data of millions of people. That doesn’t mean they would, or should, share that information with me.

As a society, we are moving toward biometric scanners for a lot of authentication. I expect DNA security scanners are not far behind.
Giving another country which is known for state actors commiting fraud is not beneficial for us as a society.

The Great Britain project did not provide raw DNA, and it was also just a subset which de-identified the individual. They addressed the security concerns.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Some folks have OPM letters after the hack of the clearance data base. Personally identified data can and will be used for purposes far different than intended.

Case in point: a lot of folks submitted their DNA to GEDmatch to help with ancestral research. But that was open to the public with few guard rails, and a company stepped in to use that data and provide names and other info to law enforcement to "solve cold cases". Yet it could also be used by insurance companies (subject to certain legal limits) and government agencies to potentially provide or deny benefits. Suppose the FAA med branch decided to access said database (or hire a contractor to do so) and determine that someone has a higher propensity to heart attacks, addiction, or alcohol abuse, then used that to approve/deny/condition pilot medicals? Or any number of other scenarios.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/virgini...logy-to-help-law-enforcement-solve-cold-cases

Back