Pre solo test??

flyingmoose

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Flyingmoose
Ok got a question for some of you out there..
I am studying for my CFI initial right now and I ran across something that I cant seem to get a strait answer on.
I was writing a paper on endorsements to try and wrap my head around some of them so here goes:
Solo endorsements..FAR61.87(p)(4-5) gives the required endorsement before solo flight for a student. I see 2 endorsements. 1 for the student pilot certificate with make and model and 1 for the logbook with make and model that is good for 90 days. Right?
AC61-65 gives an endorsement for presolo aeronautical knowledge test?? I see that in FAR 61.87(b) it says that you need to do the test and review it, but not that you need to endorse the logbook stating that you did? Am I missing something here? Is the AC61-65 just a recommendation?
Thanks in advance.

My son's CFI required the pre-solo test, my wife had to fax it over before he would let Thomas solo. :mad2: a buddy of mine soloed at a local flight school, and he did the test as well. If my 16 yr old passed it, I'm sure it's not too difficult!;)

My son's CFI required the pre-solo test, my wife had to fax it over before he would let Thomas solo. :mad2: a buddy of mine soloed at a local flight school, and he did the test as well. If my 16 yr old passed it, I'm sure it's not too difficult!;)
Yea I know the test if required for new students to solo, but is the instructor required to endorse the logbook saying that the test was done? Fars don't say so. AC61-65 kinda implies you do.

There is no specific requirement for a logbook entry for the student pilot pre-solo knowledge test. FAR 61.87 says "At the conclusion of the test, review all incorrect answers with the student before authorizing that student to conduct a solo flight."
AC 61-65 addresses this in paragraph 12, but again does not specifically call for the endorsement. The AC also provides an example of an endorsement, which is of course a good idea, but not necessarily required. I've seen logbook endorsements and pre-solo written tests with an endorsement section.
I put an endorsement in the student's logbook and take a picture for my electronic records. Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no specific requirement for a logbook entry for the student pilot pre-solo knowledge test. FAR 61.87 says "At the conclusion of the test, review all incorrect answers with the student before authorizing that student to conduct a solo flight."
AC 61-65 addresses this in paragraph 12, but again does not specifically call for the endorsement. The AC also provides an example of an endorsement, which is of course a good idea, but not necessarily required. I've seen logbook endorsements and pre-solo written tests with an endorsement section.
I put an endorsement in the student's logbook and take a picture for my electronic records. Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Scott that is what I was thinking, but couldn't get a good answer. I didn't want to not know going into a checkride.

Back