pre purchase inspection

david bellows

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
500dollarbartab
hello there, new to the forum and i have a question about pre purchase inspections. when you find the aircraft your interested how do you find a a&p in the area? should i call the local fsdo? thank you in advance

Try posting here and also find the make specific forums and post there as well. (e.g. Mooneyspace if you are looking at a Mooney etc). Not sure the FSDO would be in the recommendation business. You are looking for two things; 1. Not the mechanic that has been maintaining the plane for the current owner and 2. Someone who knows the type.

thank you, looking around for a decent grumman tiger.

If the plane you're looking at isn't too far away, you could do like I did: my mechanic and I flew out to spend the day and look at the plane in a borrowed plane. Then when he gave me the thumbs up, I bought it, flew it back, while he flew the borrowed plane back. It was only 250 miles each way, so not too bad.

i guess i need to get to know a good mechanic.

Might help to know where you are. Someone might know some good Grumman names in your area.

hello there, new to the forum and i have a question about pre purchase inspections. when you find the aircraft your interested how do you find a a&p in the area? should i call the local fsdo? thank you in advance

Once you find a plane that interests you throw it out on this forum for recommendations. I bought my plane out of the area and found a solid A/P from recommendations here.

There are 5-10 shops that are exceptionally familiar with Grummans, and I recommend connecting with the one of them closest to a prospective plane. Some have written that there is nothing complicated about Grummans and that any good A&P can maintain one. I agree in relation to the engines (standard Lycomings), but that hasn't been my experience with the airframe. Experience in the type is important.

If you would prefer to use a more local shop, my guess is that one of the Grumman shops would be willing to consult with your A&P on areas of concentration for a pre-buy.

Back