Pre-planned flights

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Ben's moan got me thinking. I have made up several cards for specific flights when plans change. Ben's concern was, now what to do when my pax pull a no show.

Take this solo time to focus on practicing those skills which you may not have used since the last checkride.

Nothing beats a taxi in full view of the FBO, on fld restaurant, and terminal when you know you have the nose planted perfectly on the centerline. Practice a rolling IFR run-up, if that's part of your SOPs. Flows okay?

Max perf T.O. Vx climb. Depart the patt to practice slow flight, all manuevers you've previously practiced with a CFI to commercial standards. Be sure to give yourself a break now and then to simply take it in, also to again clear the area. Push yourself to be more exacting then the last time and don't accept average performance. Several T&Gs, or cleared for the option, to cool down. Max perfom ldg to full stop, taxi back in.

Obviously, you won't be able to fit it all into one flight, hence the several different cards I have for each flight. It's all about planning the flight and achieving a desired level of performance as you fly the plan. Don't be afraid to show the plane who's the boss.

EDIT: Having such a plan encourages thought to detail and that thought starts before you even get to the aprt. If you are uncomfortable with a maneuver examine why you are uncomfortable. It actually is fun to be so preoccupied with flying and performance.

Last edited:
Back