Pre-Instrument Training

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
Let's suppose you're a fairly new Private Pilot. You're busy flying around, taking up friends and family, doing a few XCs.

You know that someday, you want to go for your Instrument rating, but you aren't ready to start the training yet.

What kinds of things should you be "working on" to get ready?

Building your hours is a good idea - flying cross countries of >= 50 nm as PIC to help ensure you've got the needed requirements.

You could also buy one of the VHS/DVD courses - King or Sporty's for example, to do some early reading.

Thanks. I've already bought the Jeppesen "big silver book" to read ahead.

I was thinking more along the lines of skills. Things like concentrating on holding altitude, heading, airspeed. Doing lots of VOR-based XC's to keep the needle centered.

I suppose this could turn into a list of things to practice to be a good pilot in general, but I was leaning more towards things that will help with instrument.

The Instrument rating is about 3 things. Aircraft control, flying by reference to instruments and instrument proceedures. At this stage the most important thing to work on is aircraft control. That means making the aircraft do what you want it to do all the time. Instead of just meandering about the sky learn to hold a heading precisely, stay at a determined altitude, climb and descend at precice rates, learn what power settings provide a specific performance etc. If you can control the aircraft with precision in VMC you are one third of the way towards your IR - and already way better than many pilots out there.
Stephen.

MSmith said:
Let's suppose you're a fairly new Private Pilot. You're busy flying around, taking up friends and family, doing a few XCs.

You know that someday, you want to go for your Instrument rating, but you aren't ready to start the training yet.

Mark, instrument flying is as much a state of mind as anything. In addition to the good advice already given, you might find an IR pilot and ride along while that person practices approaches. You may also volunteer to act as safety pilot. Just getting into the "system" will help lots. When you are ready to make the commitment, find a good CFII and keep working till it's done. Most of all have fun and learn all you can. :) Bill

Although, Bill - it should be said that just flying with an IR pilot might lead to adopting the pilot's bad habits, if any. Some have suggested not starting to do any real IR flying w/o a CFII in the right seat giving proper instruction. Or be prepared to have to unlearn the wrong things when you start. :)

YMMV. :)

Greebo said:
Although, Bill - it should be said that just flying with an IR pilot might lead to adopting the pilot's bad habits, if any. Some have suggested not starting to do any real IR flying w/o a CFII in the right seat giving proper instruction. Or be prepared to have to unlearn the wrong things when you start. :)

YMMV. :)

Good point Chuck! When I was an IR student, I was lucky enough to have several really sharp pilot friends who let me "ride along" on some actual flights. But, it's true, if you learn it wrong the first time (law of primacy) it's dang hard to unlearn. Sometimes I will ask IR students to "ride along" with another pilot and we then discuss what happened and what would you do differently. So, to Mark, let me qualify my previous post. If there is a CFII at your FBO, see who he/s may suggest with whom you could ride and make it a valuable experience. Bill M.

There is a 4th thing. Communication with ATC. Get VFR advisories every chance you get. Fly in some busy airspace. Get used to understanding the controllers and catching you N-number the first time:)

Eric made the same suggestion I would. Get experience talking with ATC. Fly into controlled airports, and get used to copying clearances for VFR departure.

IFR is more about procedures than anything else. Even if you can fly the maneuvers, if you can't communicate and follow procedure you'll have problems.

My other recommendation is to go out, fly a lot, and enjoy. When you start training, you're going to be begging to take off the hood and look outside.....

I am recently IR. Two recommendations that follow those above. Get X-C time in. You will be glad you did during training, as it takes some pressure off on that end, and it gives you extra time getting around yourself. The other recommendation is get VFR flight following just as often as you can. This will really help you with the radio work.

I think safety piloting is a good deal, but there has long been a split between those who recommend it and those who say you are prone to pick up bad habits.

Whatever else you do, have fun.

Jim G

ejensen said:
There is a 4th thing. Communication with ATC. Get VFR advisories every chance you get. Fly in some busy airspace. Get used to understanding the controllers and catching you N-number the first time:)

Been there, but I have a ways to go. My second post-Private XC flight included flying in the outer ring of a Presidential TFR around Philly. Nothing like jumping into the big leagues right away!

I've been listening to police scanners since I was 12 (a LONG time ago ;) ) and I've never had trouble listening or talking to ATC. I've even gotten past the point of being embarrassed when I say something stupid - I just laugh with the rest of the pilots on frequency.

Here's my $0.02 worth:

0) Learn to fly VFR precisely
1) While getting your 50hrs of X-C, visit as my different kinds of airports in different airpspaces as possible.
2) Be able handle a 10kt+ cross-wind landing (tail-wind too)
3) Get Comm1 radio simulator: Clearances on Request & IFR
4) Adopt flight proceedures and get disciplined in following them
5) Study the Weather (Robert Buck's book is a good text)

Hey Mark,
I am only a few hours away from getting my Private and have already started looking into my Instrument options. My Instructor already had me do 2 Instrument approaches just so i could see what it was all about. I am probably gonna buy a DVD set. Does anyone recommend a certain one? Or will anyone do.

Rudy,

I can't help with the recommendations (at Private + 20 hours, I'm more or less in the same boat), but good luck on your checkride!

Alright, good luck to you too!

Rudy said:
Hey Mark,
I am only a few hours away from getting my Private and have already started looking into my Instrument options. My Instructor already had me do 2 Instrument approaches just so i could see what it was all about. I am probably gonna buy a DVD set. Does anyone recommend a certain one? Or will anyone do.

I have done my training so far, PP and IA, with the Cessna materials, which are basically the King School productions. I liked both the PP and the IA.

Jim G

MSmith said:

I can't say exactly how this relates, but I've been wanting to get this off my mind for awhile now. Maybe it will help you to hear this.

The biggest hurtle for me both in the primary training as well as in the instrument training has been the psychological one. I am a slow learner--and I've never tried to hide that from anyone--but I think I know the reason. I doubt myself, but won't admit this to myself. For example, during my primary training, I never felt that I would solo because I thought that you had to be a special kind of person to do this. Then I never thought I'd do my solo cross-country, becuase I thought to be a skilled navigator, you had to be born with a gift.

So when I started training for the IR, I tried to pull a fast one on myself. I thought that if I simply did not admit that I was doing serious training, that I'd be taking the pressure off myself. Meanwhile, I read three IFR texts, watched the videos, did the Gleim, and even got another 100% on my written exam. During that time, I mostly toodled around doing cross-countries which were planned as meticulously as possible. I also did the occasional IR lesson. But when I finally passed that test, I was forced to admit that I was either seriously training for the IR, or I should stop kidding myself. Did this techinique work?

No.

In the end, I couldn't fool myself. Only recently have I felt like a real instrument pilot. This was on a flight in real IMC, partial panel, on an NDB approach which I performed well enough to pass my CFII's test. Yeah, sure--pat myself on the back; but this isn't good. If I could help it, I would have simply told myself that I needed to train seriously from the beginning, but that I was sure I would do well as long as I kept at it.

Now, I don't mean to suggest that any of this is goin on with you. I'm really just getting this off my chest. But you've already gotten golden advice above, and the only thing I really have to add is to take a professional, serious view of any flying you do, and if you feel you are going to get the IR any time soon, to get serious a lot sooner than did I!

Have a great time!

I'm a lot like you, Ben. I never feel like I know what I'm doing, and I always think everyone else does. I sometimes still think this is all a dream! Right now I'm trying to sneak in getting my IR by not putting it up front as the main thing I'm doing. I have all these books settin' on the kitchen table.... So I read when I can, and I kind of tell people I'll get my IR someday, and when nobody sees me in the plane I try to fly exact headings and altitudes and try to figure out where all the planes are that are holding near ISP, and what exactly they're doing, and maybe someday, if I don't stress about it too much, at least until the day I take the written, I can sneak up on it and all my anxiety will meanwhile be drained off into the acro! Maybe. I'll let you know if it works. :)

Anyway, these are the supplies I have: The King DVDs. Weather Flying by Robert Buck. Instrument Flying by Richard Taylor. Instrument Flying Handbook by the FAA. Aviation Weather by the FAA. Aviation Weather Services by the FAA. And of course the FAR/AIM.

I also think it's a good idea to reread basic texts from the private pilot days every now and then. It's amazing how much I do not retain over time, and I feel I need to be fluent in basic engine operation, airspace rules and regs, and airport operations. I try to fly to new airports whenever I can. I find that this is getting harder, because it is so much EASIER to fly back to old favorite places and just meet friends for lunch. It's so comfortable. I try to mix the comfortable with the new and unfamiliar. I think that kind of stretching is a good pre-IR attitude to take. When I go somewhere new, I have to really study the taxiway maps ahead of time and be able to read the signs. I want to understand what I'm listening to when I tune into the ATIS and they say which instrument approach they're using.

It is also a good idea to hang around airports (duh) and listen to your handheld so you can understand what Approach is saying and develop situational awareness for all the pilots who are flying IFR. When you're in the air, too, listening carefully is educational.

The three hours you spent in PVT-ASEL training under the hood need to be renewed. That is, control of the aircraft by instruments. Acquire the cross country VFR hours- but with another qualified pilot in the right seat. Reacquaint yourself with scan under the hood. After all, there are only a few elements of instrument flying:

(1)Straight and level flight.
(2)500 fpm constant airspeed climbs and descents.
(3)Standard rate turns, level.
(4)Combined constant airspeed climb/descending standard rate turns.

Learn the power settings required to to these, when flying at say, 85 knots- a reasonable "outer" approach speed for a singlle.

But don't go much further without the CFII. Bad habits do form quickly.

CFII

The only think I would say is when you do your formal instrument training, do more than the 15 hours minimum with the instructor, and try to do 1/2 of your training at night. The flying at night increases the workload a little (operating the flashlight, writing, and talking to atc all while keeping one hand on the yoke will try you) but it makes your check ride and daytome IMC a whole lot easier to handle.

N2212R said:
The only think I would say is when you do your formal instrument training, do more than the 15 hours minimum with the instructor, and try to do 1/2 of your training at night. The flying at night increases the workload a little (operating the flashlight, writing, and talking to atc all while keeping one hand on the yoke will try you) but it makes your check ride and daytome IMC a whole lot easier to handle.

I know what the PTS calls for, but I'd go a step further and say that you should try to get some actual IMC time with your instructor during training. Even better if you can get it at night.

But watch the weather! In a lot of places the temp-dewpoint spread shrinks very quickly and you can get caught with fast growing ground fog, even if it was VMC above. I had the experience once of landing as the fog was growing. I had full visibility of the field on final (clear above), very brief burst of low vis at 25 feet AGL, and saw the runway again as I started to push throttle. A mile of vis (the entire runway) at that point. By the time I taxiied to the hangar, the ground vis (RVR) was about 200 feet. It was legal, but upon later reflection, the speed with which the fog built was scary! Lesson learned.

wsuffa said:
But watch the weather! In a lot of places the temp-dewpoint spread shrinks very quickly and you can get caught with fast growing ground fog, even if it was VMC above. I had the experience once of landing as the fog was growing. I had full visibility of the field on final (clear above), very brief burst of low vis at 25 feet AGL, and saw the runway again as I started to push throttle. A mile of vis (the entire runway) at that point. By the time I taxiied to the hangar, the ground vis (RVR) was about 200 feet. It was legal, but upon later reflection, the speed with which the fog built was scary! Lesson learned.

Bill, Very valid point! It happens a lot here at Felts in Spokane, where the original planners sited the airport adjacent to the Spokane River... First place the fog forms as the dewpoint spread closes, and the last place to burn off the next day! Then to compound the error, they were so happy with themselves that when the were planning the "Waste to Energy" incinerator out adjacent to Spokane Intl, they put it just upwind so all the moisture laden warm air is dumped within 1/4 mile of the longest (main) runway... Now they claim they can't understand the increase in fog at the airport.

Go figure! :(

MSmith said:

There's one thing I could add, I think, to the already plentiful advice here: try to do your cross-countries along airways (not just VOR to VOR). You may have done some of this already, but flying airways is a very basic element of IFR nav, if you don't have a GPS. Start learning to interpret the low alt enroute charts, too, and use them in conjunction with your sectionals. Learn to identify intersections and fixes. Make a point of identifying every fix as you pass it on the airway.

Nighty-night. I got a concert tomorrow morning!

I think you already did the right thing by using all the resources available to answer you question. Seems to me like you are on the right track. CRM is going to be even more important as you prepare to fly single pilot IFR one day. I would also recommend finding a flight school with a simple procedures trainer, Frasca or comparable, saves a lot of time and money.

One of the hardest parts of earning an instrument rating is mastering the amount of knowledge required. Compared to a VFR-only pilot, an instrument-rated pilot must learn a bunch of new regulations and procedures; demonstrate a more thorough knowledge of weather theory, reports, and forecasts; and understand more about aircraft systems, among other things.

I've found many free sources of information available online that help make mastering that material easier. For example, the Safety Advisors, Safety Briefs, and online courses available from the AOPA Air Safety Foundation Web site (free, even to those who aren't AOPA members) combine information from the FARs, AIM, Advisory Circulars, and other sources into handy, easy-to-understand, and practical pamphlets and short online courses (most of which count toward completion of the Wings program) that you can review whenever you have a few spare minutes.

Some examples useful to instrument pilots include:

Aircraft Deicing and Anti-icing Equipment

Aircraft Icing

Weather Strategies

Weather Tactics

WeatherWise

Spatial Disorientation

Single Pilot IFR

ASOS

GPS Technology

Single-Pilot IFR (online course)

IFR Adventure: Rules to Live By (online course)

You can also find many complete training handbooks online and available for free download. For example, the FAA has posted several handbooks on a section of its Web site. These handbooks (in PDF format, divided into several sections) include:

FAA-H-8083-15, Instrument Flying Handbook -- 1 of 2

FAA-H-8083-15, Instrument Rating Handbook -- 2 of 2

The updated Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, although intended for private pilots, has an excellent section on weather theory, reports, and forecasts. It is
also available on the the training handbooks site.

Finally, the FAA's Air Traffic Publications Web site includes online and downloadable versions of many important references, including:

Aeronautical Information Manual

Pilot/Controller Glossary

Contractions (all the cryptic abbreviations used in NOTAMS, METARs, etc.)

Air Traffic Control (the handbook for air traffic controllers)

Back