Pre-buys

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
After spending three years filing the paperwork for about 50% of all the airplane weighs we do (I get two or three a week), I'd be tempted to require an airplane weigh during a prebuy. Especially if they are bragging up a high useful load or hasn't been weighed in the last 15 years.

Last edited:
If you have enough time to do a weigh on a pre-buy, you will have lost out on most of the great deals.

The best airplane buys happen word of mouth and suddenly.

A W&B only takes me about 20 min if it's ready. I make all my customers do one if theirs is more than 20 years old. The airplane has to be washed, cleaned of all junk, full oil, full hyd fluid, full toilet fluid and drained of fuel (these are the norms unless stated otherwise) and I roll it on, level it, weigh it and then roll it off. The FAA is getting mighty suspicious of 30-40 yr old W&B's. 1 lb is the definition of negligible weight. They are cheap and easy, don't be afraid of them.
Best,
Brian

Good point. I should probably do that on the 310 at some point - there have been a lot of changes over the years. Might be a good idea one year.

If you have enough time to do a weigh on a pre-buy, you will have lost out on most of the great deals.

The best airplane buys happen word of mouth and suddenly.

Yep, I got a call when I was in Indonesia, stopped by Phoenix and looked at the plane and we had a handshake deal 15 minutes later.

Good point. I should probably do that on the 310 at some point - there have been a lot of changes over the years. Might be a good idea one year.

I did one after all the changes were done..lost 200lbs :D

I did one after all the changes were done..lost 200lbs :D

The one I fly lost 65 lbs after all the major avionics work, but that was calculated/weighed.

I find your number to be more credible Ted. 200 pounds is a stretch.

I've seen 400 pound differences....on a 20,000 pound airplane.

Also seen a Cessna 750 undergo a full interior and re-paint jackpoint weigh within 5 pounds of the previous W&B report.

Last edited:
I find your number to be more credible Ted. 200 pounds is a stretch.

Generators swapped to alternators and pulled three generations of old avionics and wiring from behind the panel and out of the nose, altogether it was 200lbs. The nice thing about modern stuff is it is light weight.

Generators swapped to alternators and pulled three generations of old avionics and wiring from behind the panel and out of the nose, altogether it was 200lbs. The nice thing about modern stuff is it is light weight.

Right. :rolleyes2:

Your numbers are exaggerated.

Back