PRB lunch today

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I'm currently at the aprt terminal computer waiting for Areeda to arrive. Change of plans so Joe is bringing a Cirrus, not the Archer. Given my previous comments about flying the Cirrus, what am I going to do, tell Joe No?

Michael, it would be good to see you & April. It's even VFR at PRB after 1100.

I went for an early morning flight. Had a new GPS installed last week and a new hat rack compartment added to the mooney. The elevator controlls seemed stiff and even made some noise when pushed. I think i need my mech to look at it before i do any more flying.
Sorry Rich, next time for sure.

Sounds like you've been busy, Michael.

Just landed with Joe back at FUL. Joe gets to claim FUL for the CONUS Challenge. We were 13 pilots in 8 or so planes. Had good time. Next time, y'all.

The Cirrus TCAS called out a turkey vulture when on short final into PRB. Weird.

Richard said:
The Cirrus TCAS called out a turkey vulture when on short final into PRB. Weird.
I thought that bird was big enough to require a transponder.

It was a good time. Good food too!

So tell us what you thought of the Cirrus, I can take it.

Joe

What I thought of the Cirrus

Looking from the outside it's not much different except for the rather smallish looking rudder and those high aspect wings. The wings imply a higher performance capability.

Once seated inside my first impression was, Look at all the knobs! And there is plenty room inside. I thought the side stick was kinda' hokey, but I guess they had to put it somewhere. Actually, the stick felt very comfortable although a steep turn to your side (right turn for right seater/left turn for left seater) could be a wrist breaker, especially a steep turn with change in alt. I had my feet flat on the floor when I was playing with some turns and noticed no seat sliding in the turns. Pretty tight control coupling. I also like the large windows which permit relatively unobstructed viewing and the cockpit height above the ramp. Our TAS at 095 was around 155 Kts at 65% (171 Kts GS) I must say I am now sufficiently impressed by this plastic plane.

Joe and I discussed some of the things about the Cirrus which could be bad. F'rinstance, you're in a world of hurt should you have an elec failure. Everything is electric, even the trim, and no manual back up. Also, the A/P will climb you right into a stall.

We did two landings and both seemed heavy. I couldn't tell if that was the plane or the pilot. It seemed like the plane quit flying rather abruptly without any of the familiar indications of an impending stall. There were some other things but I think if a pilot is, you know, actually acting like a pilot instead of a pax in a tech advanced plane, he shouldn't have too much problem.

(I write this without today's accident in mind.) I think it would be very easy for a pilot to become complacent in this plane because they would overly rely on the advanced features of the Cirrus. Joe & I discussed that and concluded that the Cirrus accident record is because of pilot error, probably arising from their lackadaisacal attitude from relying on the plane to cover for PP pilot technique.

Would I fly one? Sure. Would I buy one? No, too much dough for what may be a life limited airframe due to the materials used. Would it take more hours to be proficient compared to another plane? I don't think so. I was initially apprehensive about the side stick but it really only took a couple minutes to feel very comfortable about being able to control the aircraft.

Last edited:
Michael, definitely get the tail looked at if you hear something when you move it. Good news is it most likely something left inside the airplane, and since the mooneys have rods instead of cables it's not as likely to screw up the elevator function. The bad news is since the entire empennage moves, the trim jackscrew could be affected if there is something floating around back there. Unless they tightened up a tail with too much play in it when they did the hat rack (and they should have told you), you shouldn't feel a change in control friction.

Back