Practice.

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
as in, don't forget to do it every now and then. went up today for a 'checkout' in pretty strong, gusty winds at Concord JQF. couldn't hold altitude for squat in slow flight and my 3 landings all sucked, although never dangerous, just a sort of hard landing, a balloon, and an off-center landing as I got pushed right by a gust.

all in all I was a little disappointed but it was a new-to-me plane with strong gusty surface winds. no excuse, I should have nailed all the maneuvers.

I just went up the other day for pattern work with some 10kt+ winds. The previous flight my landing after a sight seeing hop was pathetic and I knew I needed to practice. It's amazing how it takes 4-5 landings to clean up you pattern legs and target speeds, not to mention fine tuning your flare.

When I can, I like to demonstrate maneuvers for friends. They usually think it's like a roller coaster, so I benefit from practicing and they get a cheap thrill on +1/-1 G's!

It was bouncy all afternoon down here. Winds were 10-15 from the NW, with another 5-10 gust factor tossed in. Many complaints to ATC of moderate to severe turbulence around 5000' but I was doing approaches at 3000-3500 msl. Still very bouncy, hard to control altitude and speed.

Made for good practice,MIT was like being in IMC, but skies were clear.

I can feel the skill degradation after about a 3 week layoff. You're right - practice.

Back