Practice your intercepts...

wow. Forget the Beech Sierra - I want one of those!!!

I prefer my fighting aircraft to be American-made, if only for patriotic reasons (and the fact they tend to be superior). However, the Fulcrum is a pretty sharp-looking ride. I'd love to buy one, then learn to fly it.

I'll get right on that, soon as I win the Powerball and collect my check for $80 million. B)

I'm a little rough on radio traffic; I'm still learning. However, I'd love to hear the ATC response to:

Mig-29er 4592 Delta, 7 miles from northwest, inbound for landing... :goofy:

Last edited:
The F-15 will still eat the 29's lunch. And is some situations the F-16 will too.

sere said:
The F-15 will still eat the 29's lunch. And is some situations the F-16 will too.

I've heard the Mig-29 isn't too far behind the F-15/16, but the real deciding factor is the strength of USAF training. Of course, the fact that F-15/16s continue to receive upgraded avionics packages helps keep American birds well in front.

Then there's the F-22 Raptor, which can easily best four F-15s at a time, let alone anything else, anywhere in the world. :D

NickDBrennan said:
wow. Forget the Beech Sierra - I want one of those!!!

Me too! However my dream warbird besides a WWII fighter, would be a
T/A-4 Skyhawk. I love that scooter as much as any jet.
:yes: :yes:

Re: ...

Straxus said:
... I'd love to hear the ATC response to:

Mig-29er 4592 Delta, 7 miles from northwest, inbound for landing... :goofy:
'bout the same as my response in a trip around the pattern at BJC a few years ago when tower advised "Caution MIG-19 on downwind." after 8 years of performing intercept control...solid shot of adrenaline and elevated pulse rate...

Straxus said:
I've heard the Mig-29 isn't too far behind the F-15/16, but the real deciding factor is the strength of USAF training. Of course, the fact that F-15/16s continue to receive upgraded avionics packages helps keep American birds well in front.

Then there's the F-22 Raptor, which can easily best four F-15s at a time, let alone anything else, anywhere in the world. :D

The Mig 29 is a good aircraft but is ground controled and does not have the HUD like American military TAF (tactical air force) aircraft. There pilots have to look inside the aircraft a lot and there stick is still cluttered with switches. For the Mig to best the F-15 they would need a lot of them vs one F-15 and/or very poor performance on our pilots part. One always needs to remember that the F-15 and the F-16 are designed to fight in different ways. Now the F-22 is a whole new story.

I wonder. Do they take VISA, MASTERCARD, or American Express?

Still, I'd hold out for a US fighter of the WWII era. Not quite as fast but a damned sight more pretty.

Frank Browne said:
Me too! However my dream warbird besides a WWII fighter, would be a T/A-4 Skyhawk. I love that scooter as much as any jet.

Try before you buy. :yes:
A marine instructor pilot I know got us in to fly the A4 IFR simulator at Beeville TX in 1991. Kind of a neat looking jet fighter sure. Tiny cramped cockpit (expendable nuclear delivery plane was the answer to that comment). Underpowered was my impression. Took forever to get up to speed and a surprisingly flat climbout. He said you could get it supersonic in a dive from 30,000ft...just before impact. He said the real thing isn't much better and definitely nothing to write home about. But he said they were fun to fly once you got them moving.

Back