Practice for the 709 ride

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Yesterday I flew the 170 A for the first time, I had not flown a 170 since 2001 when I sold my 170-B.

pretty humbling experience, Going back to a yoke, being able to see the runway, having a very light control forces, took some getting use to.

tracking center line no problem. holding climb speed took some work, I have a tendency to hold the nose too high. Gotta work on that sight picture. Being able to see out the front is a bit different. :)

Landings were easy, you can see the runway no big radial in front of ya. full stall landings were easy. the wheels landing needs work, Cessna's spring gear will really keep you honest.

back to it friday

Add just enough power to slow your final descent rate above the runway to less than 100'/min to make wheelies easier in Cessna T/D's.

Yesterday I flew the 170 A for the first time, I had not flown a 170 since 2001 when I sold my 170-B.

pretty humbling experience, Going back to a yoke, being able to see the runway, having a very light control forces, took some getting use to.

tracking center line no problem. holding climb speed took some work, I have a tendency to hold the nose too high. Gotta work on that sight picture. Being able to see out the front is a bit different. :)

Landings were easy, you can see the runway no big radial in front of ya. full stall landings were easy. the wheels landing needs work, Cessna's spring gear will really keep you honest.

back to it friday

And a photo of me and Tom at 11500 over the Cascades in my 170, for those who aren't.

Maybe the flight was less memorable for Tom, than for me :rofl:

Attachments

• P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    697 KB · Views: 64
Were you both really using those wing suits? :)

You might want to try to get a good TW instructor to ride with you at least once and see if there's anything you're missing which the checkride might cover.

You might want to try to get a good TW instructor to ride with you at least once and see if there's anything you're missing which the checkride might cover.

Or just get one of those planes with the new fangled "Face Saver" landing gear.

And a photo of me and Tom at 11500 over the Cascades in my 170, for those who aren't.

Maybe the flight was less memorable for Tom, than for me :rofl:

Oh my humble apologies, I did forget that.

Tony is not going to allow me to operate his aircraft until he is certain I can pass the ride (He is a CFI) and a long time tailwheel pilot.

And a hell of a nice guy.

Hey Tom I know a guy at KOKH who could probably help you out ;)

I know who you mean, and I haven't talked to him or dealt with him since. and by the way he lost his CFII certificate by trying that stuff with a FSDO planted inspector, because he had so many complaints.

Glad to see you're back at it Tom -- I'm sure you'll have this taken care of in no time.

Glad to see you're back at it Tom -- I'm sure you'll have this taken care of in no time.

I think I'll start taking my compensation for annuals out in flight time.

I picked up the 170 today and brought it up to BVS to do some solo practice in it for the ride.

Landed runway 11 at BVS with winds at 120 @ 15 G 25. and raining.

Shakey but safe..

Tom,

Do you know when your ride is and with whom? I recently provided quarterly T/W proficiency for one of the few tailwheel qualified Seattle FSDO inspectors in my Stearman. He's professional, and a class act, and really does have a heart for vintage planes and taildraggers.

He is a stickler for the non-negotiable airmanship and academic basics though (i.e. correct traffic patterns, landing on the centerline, WX, airspace, minimum equipment, etc).

Mike-

Tom,

Do you know when your ride is and with whom? I recently provided quarterly T/W proficiency for one of the few tailwheel qualified Seattle FSDO inspectors in my Stearman. He's professional, and a class act, and really does have a heart for vintage planes and taildraggers.

He is a stickler for the non-negotiable airmanship and academic basics though (i.e. correct traffic patterns, landing on the centerline, WX, airspace, minimum equipment, etc).

Mike-

There is only one T/W examiners (Chris) That's what he told me.

Back