practice 3rd class exam?

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
WOuld it be ethical to have a 3rd class exam with no paperwork to see if there isa problem...if not, then a week or so later take an official exam .. OK to do?

I don't do a practice test,but I always have my yearly physical,with my primary care,before the flight physical.

LOL. Only in aviation would someone want to practice medical exam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOuld it be ethical to have a 3rd class exam with no paperwork to see if there isa problem...if not, then a week or so later take an official exam .. OK to do?

Many AME will do a consultation, then based on the discussion, do (or not) the exam immediately following. It's actually a good idea and recommended by many if you have a complicated situation.

It isn't an airman's flight physical until you do a MedXpress 8500-8 and coordinate it with an AME exam.

Last edited:
Concur with the two posts immediately above, especially if you have any question about whether you will pass or not. Talk it over in advance with the AME involved.

Just pull up the exam parameters and do it yourself, or ask any EMT, nurse, Dr, to do it.

I've been able to do the entire physical on myself, minus the pee strip

You can do the pee strip yourself if you like. They're available at your neighborhood pharmacy. I raised a diabetic kid. You can get specific ketostix, but sometimes it's easier to use the same 7-way test strips that the AME's typically have.

But really, if you're spilling sugar you're in deep trouble, you should be seeing your regular doctor more.

If you have to answer YES to any question on the form or you have doctors visits, then yes, you should think about a consult with a aviation medical expert prior to commencing an examination for real.

LOL. Only in aviation would someone want to practice medical exam!
I doubt it. I suspect the question comes up in every occupation and vocation where there are medical standards for continued ability to engage in the activity.

Of course, in aviation there may be a difference that makes it a bit more likely. I don't know about any of the others, but in our activity, not taking the real exam after the "practice" consultation is very different than failing the real exam.

I don't do a practice test,but I always have my yearly physical,with my primary care,before the flight physical.
I always do these days as well. But unless your primary care physician is versed in FAA standards, it's pretty much irrelevant except in the very broadest sense.

Things your primary care physician might consider no big deal (even if she thought about flying at all) might well be an automatic denial for a medical certificate or at least bring on the prospect of delay and extended and expensive further inquiry and testing.

What's wrong with going to an AME and explaining what you propose. "give me a physical exam of the full scope of an FAA medical class 1,2,or3 (what ever the case may be)." But let's not start the paperwork yet.

Yes, it's ethical!!!! It's also the smart thing to do for many pilots. It's called a 'consultation with an AME'. I'm pretty that such a consultation is not a reportable event for FAA purposes, but ask your AME about that.

If you have any questions about what you should and should not say on the FAA form, or if you are not sure what class of FAA medical you qualify for then consult an AME prior to your FAA exam.

In many cases pilots have to go out and get extra tests, lab work, or letters from the primary care doc to keep the FAA happy. Having all the paperwork the FAA wants can cut months off the time you might wait for you FAA medical to be approved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back