PPSEL Knowledge Test Allowable aids...

pack66

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pack66
I'm coming up on taking my knowledge test and was looking at approved devices to bring. I noticed that the circular on Allowable Aids states:

c. The test proctor may provide calculating devices to applicants and deny them use of their personal calculating devices if the applicant’s device does not have a screen that indicates all memory has been erased.
The test proctor must be able to determine the calculating device’s erasure capability. The use of calculating devices incorporating permanent or
continuous type memory circuits without erasure capability are prohibited.

Does this mean that I can't bring in my Android Phone with free E6B app to use on the test? I know how to use the whiz wheel, but the electronic E6B app is soooo much faster.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

-J

I'm coming up on taking my knowledge test and was looking at approved devices to bring. I noticed that the circular on Allowable Aids states:

Does this mean that I can't bring in my Android Phone with free E6B app to use on the test? I know how to use the whiz wheel, but the electronic E6B app is soooo much faster.

-J
It means they should deny you the Android. The computer does have a built in menu driven E6B, though.

It means they should deny you the Android. The computer does have a built in menu driven E6B, though.

The test center I used (American Flyers) didn't have an "on screen" E6B. Don't know about LaserGrade or CATS.

Ask around to see if a pilot buddy has one of the electronic E6B's (Sporty's or ASA). Then take a few practice exams using it. It can definely help with many of the calculations like you've seen on your Android version.

The test center I used (American Flyers) didn't have an "on screen" E6B. Don't know about LaserGrade or CATS.

Ask around to see if a pilot buddy has one of the electronic E6B's (Sporty's or ASA). Then take a few practice exams using it. It can definely help with many of the calculations like you've seen on your Android version.

God point. I should have specified. I used LaserGrade, IIRC.

-J

Phones are not allowed.. you could call someone for answers.

You could store the entire bank of test questions on an Android (or most recent phones for that matter)

You could do the same with quite a few calculators too. Honestly, if you take the thing with Lasergrade, you really don't need anything.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but if you know how to use a whiz wheel, it is just as fast as an electronic E6B. I'm surprised your instructor didn't make sure you know how to use it properly. A whiz wheel uses no batteries!

you could call someone for answers.

1. "Hello, FAA? I'm a student pilot and I need help with a question..."

2. Where's Regis Philbin? "is 1450-feet landing roll over a 50 foot obstacle your final answer?"

Back