PPonk Upgrade...what did it cost ya?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
I have a rebuild looming, probably gonna do it in the next 6 months or so unless the Cylinder Gods dictate otherwise and was considering a PPonk upgrade for my 1973 C182P with the 0-470-U. I don't REALLY need it nor wanna spend more than I have to, but I am all for adding some more performance to climb to the mid and upper teens for cruise altitude and read mostly positive reviews with little regret for those that have done it.

This bird is looking to be a long term keeper (until I win the Powerball anyway) so I don't mind making the investment plus I will still not be upside down even after a rebuild.

Having a hard time finding what the costs are above just the core rebuild. My question is...if you have upgraded, what was your out the door price once it was and said and done to get back flying?

I am looking at adding a simple engine monitor, but that will be a separate discussion!

The "U" engine is such a great engine, and a quiet one at 2400 RPM. I wouldn't do it.

Someone on the Red board did one not that long ago and shared their experience.

Don't remember the exact $$ figure, but it was very reasonable. Along the non-factory overhaul prices. I want to say low 20s, but we did start with a -R, so it was a bit more expensive and we did opt for a brand spanking new crankshaft

Ok, a couple things here...

What you get is an O-470-50. They can start with a -U core, but that isn't what you have right now in a stock '73 (I think you have an -R).

Are you looking for an engine swap or a rebuild of your own? Frankly, I'd just do a swap and send the core in for credit. Shipping from WA to Santa Cruz isn't bad, and any reasonably competent A&P can hang an engine.

We did a swap about 6 years ago of our -U (we have a '77Q model) for a Pponk. The Pponk core used was a -U, with only 1300 hrs TT (vs our trade in with around 5000 hrs TT).

The basic engine was around $24K, IIRC. However, we had to put a new prop on as well, as the 'Q prop isn't on the STC list. If you have a good prop that is on the STC list, you're good.

Your prop governor will need a reset to match the 2700 RPM redline and more than likely an OH as well while you're at it. That'll be a few bills. New alternator, vac pump, mags? Depends what you want to drop at the same time. We went pretty much hole-hog firewall forward, with prop and everything, including a rebuilt and strengthened engine mount the total bill rang in somewhere in the $40K range, including R&R of the engine.

I highly recommend sending out the engine mount (we used Kosola in Georgia) for an full examination. Ours ended up needing 5 new sections, total was around $1200.

We went with the ECI Titan cylinders (275 hp nominal rating, though you're data plate will still say 235 hp). At 800 hours, we've been happy. We just went through some mid-tbo rework, including new lifters and valve and ring work on a couple jugs, but that was likely due to a period of inactivity causing a bit of a corrosion issue and just typical cylinder wear issues for a low-ish use big-bore conti. It's running great again now.

Above all, just pick up the phone and talk to Steve or Norma Knopp. They are great folks and will help you get just what you want after going through all the options.
360-629-4812

Jeff

The "U" engine is such a great engine, and a quiet one at 2400 RPM. I wouldn't do it.

40 extra horses for crossing the mountains and high DA-ops says "do it". We operate from a noise sensitive airport, and just pull the prop back to 2,600 rpm right after lift off, and 2,500 rpm pretty quickly in the climb unless we're really heavy and high.

Back