PPL Written test prep

StanN45

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StanN45
For those that have done the online or video type "ground schools", how did you prep for the exam? I feel like there has to be a more structured way to study and prepare. Thoughts?

I just did gleims online ground school. Excellent to pass the test. Just did their IFR one and it takes about 8 hours if you burn through it and at the end you get your sign off. Literally its the exact same questions as on the test you probably won't even have to look at figures for the written cause you'll recognize the answers and be out of the testing center in less than 20 min.

I feel like the Sproty's study buddy had a major positive impact on my written.

FYI, they are changing it next month, so the "bank" won't match after that, for ppl

FYI, they are changing it next month, so the "bank" won't match after that, for ppl

Exncsurfer, do you recall where you heard this? I'm preparing for the written now. I've done King, and I'm working through a few books, shooting for a real understanding of the principles rather than just cramming to hit 70%+.

If they're going for variations on a theme, I'll be fine, but if they're going to change it radically, it might be worth just cramming it in before the change. I'm in no hurry, but I don't want to waste the time I've invested so far. Of course, the FARs and the laws of physics are what they are. The test won't change that.

Exncsurfer, do you recall where you heard this? I'm preparing for the written now. I've done King, and I'm working through a few books, shooting for a real understanding of the principles rather than just cramming to hit 70%+.

It's true that they are revamping the test starting June 13th. My understanding is that most - if not all - of the questions they previously used are being scrapped.
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/whats_new_general.pdf

If they're going for variations on a theme, I'll be fine, but if they're going to change it radically, it might be worth just cramming it in before the change. I'm in no hurry, but I don't want to waste the time I've invested so far. Of course, the FARs and the laws of physics are what they are. The test won't change that.
Yea, I think I heard it first on here, from write-stuff. But AOPA magazine has an article about it this month. link Hopefully this article is accurate and they've gotten rid of a bunch of tedious trick questions. I know I've tried to work a couple of those sample problems where the width of your pencil line can put you between two answers! Not sure what they were thinking on some of those. If you have the principles I suspect you'll be fine. I'm in the same boat, need to get mine knocked out asap and I just bought that 2016 supplement book that goes out of style next month.

Here's some info about testing changes:

www.goldsealgroundschool.com/testing-2016

Thank you for this information. I didn't realize they were replacing the test supplement AGAIN. It's ridiculous how some of the charts are now borderline illegible. The FAA really needs some accountability in all regards to knowledge testing. The test questions should not be a secret.

I had considered the Sportys Study Buddy but now I don't know if it will be relevant after the change. I will probably be test ready in July maybe August.

I had considered the Sportys Study Buddy but now I don't know if it will be relevant after the change. I will probably be test ready in July maybe August.

If you study the material and can answer most questions without requiring a study guide to tell you the answer, you'll probably just fine. The point is to know the material being tested, not memorize the the correct answers to the questions.

King schools ground school and dauntless test prep got me 92 on both ppl and IFR with only a week studying on each.

Note: this will only get you to pass the test. Not know the material. It's fine to just pass a checkpoint but to really learn the material you have to read and study other material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
King schools ground school and dauntless test prep got me 92 on both ppl and IFR with only a week studying on each.

Note: this will not get you to pass the test. Not know the material. It's fine to just pass a checkpoint but to really learn the material you have to read and study other material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know. I'm going to see if I can wrap up the written before the change, while I have a little momentum.

Hey, kid... Go ahead and "waste" the time to learn the material and quit knobdicking around. Your knowledge or ignorance could be the difference between living and dying some day.

I'm studying for Sport Pilot. Anyone know if that test is changing, too? All the articles I've seen only mention PPL.

I'm preparing for the written now...shooting for a real understanding of the principles rather than just cramming to hit 70%+.

If you're truly trying to gain a real understanding of the principles, your test score should reflect that and show a lot higher than 71%.

If you're truly trying to gain a real understanding of the principles, your test score should reflect that and show a lot higher than 71%.

I agree completely. I take it for granted that to be a competent private pilot, I should understand and be able to apply on the fly (literally) 100% of the material on the written. Isn't that why they ask you at the oral about the stuff you missed on the written? :)

Of course, the prep courses teach so specifically to the current test questions and their precise red herrings that it is possible to memorize many of the answers (like which obstruction the test wants you to find amid a confusing array of obstructions). Without such an aide, takers of the new test might be at a marked disadvantage; their scores could be much lower. Still, that effect, if it occurs, should obtain across the board, and it should be obvious to the FAA why they're lower.

In any event, you're right. Anyone who genuinely grasps the principles will do great on any reasonable test. :)

Back