PPL written supplement

gdwindowpane

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
gdwindowpane
Exam costs $140+ and you can’t mark in the supplement. What’s the deal with that? Am I missing something?

I bought one for practice exams and do much better when I am able to mark it up.

Thanks!

Chris

The test center provides a clear plastic overlay and several sheets of blank paper. That should be sufficient.

Pardon my ignorance but how does one effectively use the clear plastic overlay and several sheets if blank paper?

Pardon my ignorance but how does one effectively use the clear plastic overlay and several sheets if blank paper?
Which pages/charts/whatever you need to mark? As Mike pointed out you can download the entire supplement for free, mark up to your heart's delight while studying, so when you get to the exam, you shouldn't need to do extensive calculations.

Just took the test, yesterday. They gave me a dry erase pen. I Put the plastic overlay on the page and drew a couple of reference lines on the border for proper alignment...then use it like a normal chart. The dry erase pen is thicker, so you’ll have to fudge a little...

E
Just took the test, yesterday. They gave me a dry erase pen. I Put the plastic overlay on the page and drew a couple of reference lines on the border for proper alignment...then use it like a normal chart. The dry erase pen is thicker, so you’ll have to fudge a little...

That makes perfect sense!

Thanks!

Chris

For future exams, you can download for free from the FAA website

Negative -- When you download/print the scale is whacked out. Practicing with the official book is much better.

This way, you can RTFQ and RTFAs and focus on that because you already have practiced with the supplement how to find the pages needed, and the other information that can help.

But I would practice NOT WRITING in it, since that isn't allowed. Also practice not using anything else you won't be allowed to have in the room. (iPad, phone, etc.)

@Ravioli ... before disagreeing, check your source material.

The AKTS's have all been updated very recently and unconverted to high quality PDFs. Many of the old scaling issues are fixed. And for IFR and beyond, there are very, very few questions where you are measuring distance.

And keep in mind, the primary task is becoming familiar with what is in that book and where it is. So the free PDFs serve that purpose well.

I actually brought tracing paper to my exam since my test center (also my training center) didn't have either. I took the PPL written in April and the sectional pics in the book are not to scale so make sure you take that into account. The test center provided the E6B and the plotter make sure the plotter is one you know how to use, I didn't check and when I got to the XC planning questions it was not a plotter I was familiar with, the one they provided had the "spinny" protractor which I didn't know how to use.

I actually brought tracing paper to my exam since my test center (also my training center) didn't have either. I took the PPL written in April and the sectional pics in the book are not to scale so make sure you take that into account. The test center provided the E6B and the plotter make sure the plotter is one you know how to use, I didn't check and when I got to the XC planning questions it was not a plotter I was familiar with, the one they provided had the "spinny" protractor which I didn't know how to use.

Can you bring your own E6B, plotter and calculator?

Can you bring your own E6B, plotter and calculator?
Yes.

If the E6B is one of the electronic ones from Sporty's or ASA, then you must remove the batteries to demonstrate that any volatile memory has been erased.

If the E6B is one of the paper or metal "Whiz Wheels", and you bring a separate calculator, then you must remove the calculator batteries to demonstrate that any volatile memory has been erased.

Smartphones with E6B apps cannot be used during the test.

For me, my purchase of the ASA CX-3 has been a good one. I find it easy to use, and very helpful to have during the exams. Yes, a bit pricey over the old style metals E6B's, but I find the digital one much easier to remember how to use and I'm less prone to mistakes because I read the wrong scale or spun the dial the wrong direction.

Sounds like you need to break out your copy of the ACS for private pilots. Appendix 2. If you don't have a copy, download free from FAA.

You are correct. Downloaded for future reference prior to asking another stupid question... :yes:

Sounds like you need to break out your copy of the ACS for private pilots. Appendix 2. If you don't have a copy, download free from FAA.
This is a reminder for me once I get my CFI.... introduce the ACS fairly early in the process and emphasize that it's as an important reference as FAR/AIM, PHAK, AFM, and others.

Back