PPL Training in Philly

brooklyn26point2

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
brooklyn26point2
Hi, so I'm planning on starting my formal ppl training, and am looking for opinions on local flight schools. Looking primarily at Hortman Aviation, as they are both the closest and cheapest, but am by no means committed. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

When I was still in that area, there was a decent operation at Flying W over in Jersey offering both 141 and 61 programs.

Brooklyn as I recall you are or will be living in University City. I think the closest for you would be Hortman at PNE or Cross Keys Airport (17N) across the Bridge in NJ. FWIW I got my private and IR at Hortman. Check both out and see what fits you and your budget best. I think there is a poster here Kobra who may be a CFI at Cross Keys or there abouts. If you go to NJ you might as well check out VAY as well. PM me if you have any local questions.

I don't know much about northeast, but fly out of PTW and am checked out at DYL and CKZ which may be a little too far. There is a flying club at PNE with an archer and lance that looks interesting.

I've heard good things about flying w, but it's farther than i want to travel (~an hour each way). And, Mike, Crosswinds looks great but the prices look steep. And, I did see the group with the archer and the lancer, but hortman's grumman trainer is much cheaper than just about anything else i've seen. Adam, I'll send you a pm with specific questions. thanks!

Brooklyn as I recall you are or will be living in University City. I think the closest for you would be Hortman at PNE or Cross Keys Airport (17N) across the Bridge in NJ. FWIW I got my private and IR at Hortman. Check both out and see what fits you and your budget best. I think there is a poster here Kobra who may be a CFI at Cross Keys or there abouts. If you go to NJ you might as well check out VAY as well. PM me if you have any local questions.
I just googled the club that was at VAY when I lived there and they have since moved to N14, so I'm not sure there is a flight school at VAY anymore.

I did my Tiger checkout at Hortman, and am flying with one of their instructors to prepare for my IR checkride. I am impressed with the rigor and thoroughness of the instructors with whom I have flown there.

Like every FBO I've looked at in the last year since I'm back flying, some of the trainers are pretty threadbare, but Hortman have a well designed sqawk system that they seem to follow diligently. So I'm comfortable with their safety.

PNE seems like a pretty good learning environment. It has a tower so you'll be comfortable talking to ATC, but I've never seen it so busy that I've had a long wait either for departure or landing. Also it's under the Philly Bravo airspace so you can get experience with flight following, but the shelf is at 4000 ft so there's lots of room to fly outside of the Bravo. Finally, the practice area is close by across the river in NJ, so you don't waste much flight time traveling back and forth to there.

Enjoy the experience wherever you decide to train.

Barry

I did my Tiger checkout at Hortman, and am flying with one of their instructors to prepare for my IR checkride. I am impressed with the rigor and thoroughness of the instructors with whom I have flown there.

Like every FBO I've looked at in the last year since I'm back flying, some of the trainers are pretty threadbare, but Hortman have a well designed sqawk system that they seem to follow diligently. So I'm comfortable with their safety.

PNE seems like a pretty good learning environment. It has a tower so you'll be comfortable talking to ATC, but I've never seen it so busy that I've had a long wait either for departure or landing. Also it's under the Philly Bravo airspace so you can get experience with flight following, but the shelf is at 4000 ft so there's lots of room to fly outside of the Bravo. Finally, the practice area is close by across the river in NJ, so you don't waste much flight time traveling back and forth to there.

Enjoy the experience wherever you decide to train.

Barry

Barry - this is really helpful; thanks!

I think Herb Hortman are the guys who built Av Shilohs Turbo Comanche. If you have Redboard forum logon you might poke Av. I know he is a CFI as well and knows /has his Comanche based out of PNE.

All the comments I remember from Hortmans flight fleet were positive.

I think Herb Hortman are the guys who built Av Shilohs Turbo Comanche. If you have Redboard forum logon you might poke Av. I know he is a CFI as well and knows /has his Comanche based out of PNE.

All the comments I remember from Hortmans flight fleet were positive.

Thanks Tony. I've met Av - he was incredibly nice and helpful in discussing flight schools. And, he's certainly a fan of Hortman.

Back