PPL training in Europe but flying in the US

HungryMancuso

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Anybody get their PPL in Europe and then move to the US and fly there? I am currently in Europe until later this year, and since I finally have the time and money, I have decided to finally get my PPL. I start my training at a flight school near the Holland/Belgium border in a couple weeks. I was wondering how well the training in Europe will translate to flying in the US. I imagine the actual flight control skills will be the same, but what about the other stuff? For example, knowledge of important FAA regulations, reading a US VFR sectional, understanding US airspace, reading US weather charts, etc.? Will my training in Europe give me the proper foundational knowledge that the transition will be manageable enough?

Not sure about that, but I am certain it will accustom you to one of the basics: it is expensive. (Far cheaper here in the U.S., according to two of my former students. One lives in Germany and the other in England.)

Are you a US citizen? Do you have legal residence in the EU?

When I lived in the Czech Republic (on a residence visa as I am American), I was unable to fly on a US license even in an N-registered plane. I was told this was because I was a legal resident of Europe. To get a Czech license I was going to have to pass 7 written tests in the Czech language. I ended up moving back to the US. This was in 2012-2015 or so so may have changed.

Not Europe, but South Africa in my case. The FAA validated my SA PPL and gave me an FAA foreign-based private certificate. That's a completely paper process with no tests of any kind, so I was legal to just go flying with zero knowledge of US regulations or practices. That wouldn't have been smart and I found an instructor at the local airport to give me some ground training (he decided what to include) and then fly with me for a couple of flights. We did some cross-country trips to make sure that I had to deal with weather, flight planning, airspace etc. It wasn't difficult but it was definitely necessary ;)

If you plan to fly in the US long-term then I strongly recommend that you get the FAA foreign-based private certificate, and then an FAA commercial certificate. The reason is that an FAA foreign-based private certificate is only valid if your foreign certificate is valid, but a 'regular' FAA certificate never expires. By getting the FAA commercial, you remove the dependency on the foreign PPL. "Commercial" might sound scary, but in the US it's a VFR-only checkride and there's only one written exam.

Not sure about that, but I am certain it will accustom you to one of the basics: it is expensive. (Far cheaper here in the U.S., according to two of my former students. One lives in Germany and the other in England.)

I found a good deal through a Dutch flight school. The total price will be around $12,000-$13,000, which is slightly lower than the best prices I was finding at flight schools near my home in Southern California.

Are you a US citizen? Do you have legal residence in the EU?

When I lived in the Czech Republic (on a residence visa as I am American), I was unable to fly on a US license even in an N-registered plane. I was told this was because I was a legal resident of Europe. To get a Czech license I was going to have to pass 7 written tests in the Czech language. I ended up moving back to the US. This was in 2012-2015 or so so may have changed.

I'm only a US citizen, but my wife, children, and in-laws are Dutch citizen. Because I am married to an EU citizen, I get some extra privileges in the EU. Because of this, the flight school said I am eligible to train there.

Not Europe, but South Africa in my case. The FAA validated my SA PPL and gave me an FAA foreign-based private certificate. That's a completely paper process with no tests of any kind, so I was legal to just go flying with zero knowledge of US regulations or practices. That wouldn't have been smart and I found an instructor at the local airport to give me some ground training (he decided what to include) and then fly with me for a couple of flights. We did some cross-country trips to make sure that I had to deal with weather, flight planning, airspace etc. It wasn't difficult but it was definitely necessary ;)

If you plan to fly in the US long-term then I strongly recommend that you get the FAA foreign-based private certificate, and then an FAA commercial certificate. The reason is that an FAA foreign-based private certificate is only valid if your foreign certificate is valid, but a 'regular' FAA certificate never expires. By getting the FAA commercial, you remove the dependency on the foreign PPL. "Commercial" might sound scary, but in the US it's a VFR-only checkride and there's only one written exam.

Thank you, this is VERY helpful. Once I get back to the US, I would like to get my complex and high performance endorsements. Maybe I can couple that training with some US specific training like you said.

Couple of things. Are you sure the written is in English? I live in Norway and had to take the written in Norwegian (a language I learned at 36, and technical, and legalese Norwegian. It was very tough even for Norwegians).

I can only speak about Norway, which is not a member of the EU, but still is bound be EASA. But EASA was very influenced by the Chicago convention, so is very similar to the FAA. Though things change such as required extra fuel at destination, etc. I find the sectionals here are not exactly the same as in the US. That shouldn’t be a problem though. Here in Norway they don’t use all the classes of airspace (as far as I know there is no class E here).

I know a lot of Norwegians travel to England to train and get their PPL. They say it is cheaper and easier. Still ama little amazed that you found a lower price in the Netherlands vs. US.

I had to stop before getting my PPL, but am getting closer to starting up again. I passed the written, but wlll have to take it again because of time passed. You might find the medical more expensive, and maybe with less options I’m hearing are now in the US. BASIC med?

good luck!

Couple of things. Are you sure the written is in English? I live in Norway and had to take the written in Norwegian (a language I learned at 36, and technical, and legalese Norwegian. It was very tough even for Norwegians).

I can only speak about Norway, which is not a member of the EU, but still is bound be EASA. But EASA was very influenced by the Chicago convention, so is very similar to the FAA. Though things change such as required extra fuel at destination, etc. I find the sectionals here are not exactly the same as in the US. That shouldn’t be a problem though. Here in Norway they don’t use all the classes of airspace (as far as I know there is no class E here).

I know a lot of Norwegians travel to England to train and get their PPL. They say it is cheaper and easier. Still ama little amazed that you found a lower price in the Netherlands vs. US.

I had to stop before getting my PPL, but am getting closer to starting up again. I passed the written, but wlll have to take it again because of time passed. You might find the medical more expensive, and maybe with less options I’m hearing are now in the US. BASIC med?

good luck!

I checked on the language issue, and yes, the teaching and exams are in English.

That's good to hear that there is a lot of overlap with the FAA. It sounds like I may have to learn a few extra things when I get back to the US, but I should have a decent base of skills and knowledge that it should not take too long.

The school apparently is just over the border in Belgium, which I guess allows them to offer the course for cheaper. It means I have to travel about an hour each day to get there, but I think that will be worth the extra savings. I'll just study on the train.

You're right, the medical is about €100 more expensive than in the US, but that's fine, I'll just have to take it.

One of the positives of learning in Belgium/Nl is the airspace is much more complex so your navigation an radio skills will be a lot better.
Just have a look at the airspace you will be flying in Belgium and compare it to the airspace ar the same scale in the US.

Coincidence, I noticed a post by one of the flight club members on Facebook. Just thought to mention, they say after one has a Norwegian PPL (assume the same for Belgian) if you want to fly in the US you have to fill out a form, designate on the form an FSDO to meet up, and one should allow for 90 days to be sure, if it is time critical.

The EU-US pilot licence conversion agreement allows a PPL, issued by any EU country, to be converted to a US private without doing a US practical test. The steps are the same as for the foreign-based certificate, except for the addition of an FAA medical and abbreviated knowledge test. The flight review must be done before applying.

Here in Norway they don’t use all the classes of airspace (as far as I know there is no class E here).

To be fair, here in the USA we don't use Class F. Of course, neither do most other countries. (And complicating matters, Canada calls special use airspace "Class F," which has nothing to do with ICAO Class F.)

Back