PPL training at KPWK?

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
I have a friend near PWK looking for primary (non-career) training. Can anyone recommend a good FBO or CFI that operates there?

Thanks,
Dan

Are the instructors "time builders"?

The one I flew with at WCF was not. When i last checked a few months age, he was still there but the name escapes me. But, I went much more north and saved a chunk of change on rentals.

Fly There LLC offers block time discounts. They operate a very nice Archer III ($152 on nlock time) and 172 ($133 on block time). They also have a Redbird FMX ($75). I finished up there. Jason Unger and Joe Bartosiak are good instructors. The instruction rate is $65/hr.

Are the instructors "time builders"?

Careful with that one!

The "old seasoned" hobby pilot/CFIs are even worse, if you hear "I've got 5000 hours and have been flying for 40 years" do the math on hours per year AND RUN!

Try to find a gold seal CFI who averages at least 60hrs a month

Gold seal doesnt mean too much, just they have had a few students as 80% first time pass rate, but there sure is a certain type of CFI that bothers to get their gold seal.

The "old seasoned" hobby pilot/CFIs are even worse, if you hear "I've got 5000 hours and have been flying for 40 years" do the math on hours per year AND RUN!

Aww come on. He could have done 1000 hours this year and the other 4000 the previous 39. This advice is bogus unless you ask.

Joe and Jason at Fly There are not time builders. They have flown with airlines and decided they love instructing. Very up front with candor and assessment. Very professional. I selected them to teach my 20 year old son as I was happy with their manner of instruction. They do perform some charter services for some clients.

Aww come on. He could have done 1000 hours this year and the other 4000 the previous 39. This advice is bogus unless you ask.

Which is my point ASK!

If the CFI put on 1k per year, yea sounds good.

I the CFI puts on 120hrs a year, maybe he should look into time building before he attempts to charge for his time.

FWIW, I have quite a few hours and still am time building, time building is experience building, heck when I have 25,000hrs I'll still be a time builder.

Really it's just recent and relivent experience, skill and having a teaching style that matches how you best learn.

I sent my friend over to these guys and they told him a PPL would cost $15k - $25k! Their 172 (G1000) goes for $141/hr + $30/hr fuel surcharge.

Is this the new reality or what? These rates are crazy!

--Dan

Too much!

172 G1k 120-130hr all in wet is about standard

For a ppl how bouts a 152?!

I haven't seen a G1000 172 for $120 in ages, if ever, from an FBO. Granted I tend to frequent large metro areas, but 150-160 is pretty typical. Throw in 55/hr for an instructor and you can easily burn $12k on a Private cert in 50 hours. I'm sure it's a lot cheaper away from the big cities, but Chicago is not cheap.

So, that price is on the higher end, but not outrageously so compared to similar airports.

Still why on earth would a VFR private ab inito student want/need to pay for a G1000???

Seems like it's just people that have money to burn for nothing renting those screens for VFR flight training, so since price is irrelevant to them anyways?

The Archer3 with twin 430 and Aspen on block time is $152 / hr and the 172 with steam gauges and a 530 is $133 per hour at Fly There.

If you figure the average is 20 hrs solo on the 172 and 45 hrs dual on the 172, then the air cost at Fly There is about $11,500 for the PPL. They also have a Redbird FMX so you may knock about $500 off or so. But with ground school, AME costs, books you are still looking around $12,000 in the Chicago area (realistically).

Still why on earth would a VFR private ab inito student want/need to pay for a G1000???

Seems like it's just people that have money to burn for nothing renting those screens for VFR flight training, so since price is irrelevant to them anyways?

They put him in it for an intro flight. Not sure how hard they pitch it for primary training, but I suspect many of their students train in them.

They have 1 "standard" 172, 2 G1000 172s, and 1 DA20.

--Dan

If you figure the average is 20 hrs solo on the 172 and 45 hrs dual on the 172, then the air cost at Fly There is about $11,500 for the PPL. They also have a Redbird FMX so you may knock about $500 off or so. But with ground school, AME costs, books you are still looking around $12,000 in the Chicago area (realistically).

My scenario above uses 65 hours for training based on national average numbers. It's a great place to learn.

Hopefully I'm not too late to the party, but if KUGN is an option Stick'n'Rudder flying club is a pretty good option. It's full of crusty old pilots. If he's south-west of Chicago my instructor down at Joliet was perfect for my personality type; look up Gary in Joliet (via JF Aviation).

Hopefully I'm not too late to the party, but if KUGN is an option Stick'n'Rudder flying club is a pretty good option. It's full of crusty old pilots. If he's south-west of Chicago my instructor down at Joliet was perfect for my personality type; look up Gary in Joliet (via JF Aviation).

Perfect. I sent the link to him. I think this club fits the bill nicely!

Dan

Back