PPL Training and Deer Strike - Read your Insurance Policy

My CFI and I were doing our night work and the landing light burned out. He said it was ok, he was going to turn it off anyway. Did 3 landings without it.

Just thought I should tie a bow around this and let you all know how this turned out. I hired a lawyer and had to push the airplane owner to sue me to get AIGs attention. They appointed a lawyer, who was great, and we worked back and forth until we got to a place where we settled. Airplane owner was paid for the dammages and also got a new engine out of the deal. I will be I out a couple grand, but feeling a whole lot better than when I wrote the initial post.

My initial comments/warnings are unchanged. I hope all renters out there understand what is not covered under their policy and how that relates to the aircraft owners policy and obligation to tender a claim. Thanks for everyone who added input to this and helped guide me to a successful conclusion.

Blue skies...

If you don't want to give more info, that's fine.

But I think it would be very helpful to let us know who actually paid for the damage. Did AIG end up paying some portion or most through your rental insurance? Or did his insurer actually end up having some liability?

Bonchie,

Other than the down time, the owner got out smelling like a rose. Repairs paid and he got to convert the prop strike inspection to his new engine. Once lawyers were involved and my insurance was on the hook to defend, the option to settle became a more cost effective solution than fighting. Sad it had to come to that.

Good news is that we got it done and was even able to get my Ppl along the way.

Eye opener I must say, Thanks for the post, I will from now on dissect my insurance policy...

Back