PPL to IFR

um, yeah. I was part of the "Sport IFR" conversation...in fun of course.

However, none of us were in agreement that ANY flight under such conditions should start like this. That dude was just asking for trouble before he even taxied out...

You're worried about the "at your own risk" thing?

That's not at all unusual. It's done at that airport for every single helicopter operation even in perfect VFR (and there are a lot of them, including air ambulances to Stanford). It is not a danger sign by itself.

If Tower can't see the entire movement area for any reason, they will say that. Even if conditions are perfect. "Cleared for takeoff" means there is no one in your way on the runway. If they can't see any part of the runway, they won't say that.

I asked my DPE about the accelerated IFR course and he's not a big fan. He said that while the 10 day accelerated course will get you an IFR rating, it's will not make you a safe usable IFR pilot. He also added that being precise takes time and experience, and the last thing you want is to cramp everything down where precision is everything.

I'm a bit bummed by his comments as I, too was going to get it over with in two weeks. But I do value his opinion and I don't want to be a hazard to myself and others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked my DPE about the accelerated IFR course and he's not a big fan. He said that while the 10 day accelerated course will get you an IFR rating, it's will not make you a safe usable IFR pilot. He also added that being precise takes time and experience, and the last thing you want is to cramp everything down where precision is everything.

I'm a bit bummed by his comments as I, too was going to get it over with in two weeks. But I do value his opinion and I don't want to be a hazard to myself and others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a business standpoint I can see why he would say that. But since I have neither done the Accelerated Course or used a CFII for my training I cannot make a comment based on the accuracy of his statement.

From a business standpoint I can see why he would say that. But since I have neither done the Accelerated Course or used a CFII for my training I cannot make a comment based on the accuracy of his statement.

But you have recently completed primary training.

You had trouble getting all the details together.

Cramming it into a much smaller time can do nothing at all at best, and can make you completely lost at worst.

You tell me, would your primary training have worked better with you flying 5+ hours a day for 10 days, with lots of nonflying homework? Or would you just stop learning after hour #2, due to exhaustion?

But you have recently completed primary training.

You had trouble getting all the details together.

Cramming it into a much smaller time can do nothing at all at best, and can make you completely lost at worst.

You tell me, would your primary training have worked better with you flying 5+ hours a day for 10 days, with lots of nonflying homework? Or would you just stop learning after hour #2, due to exhaustion?
I do fairly well in a classroom type setting. When left to my own devices it gets a bit confusing.

Back