PPL test prep

signu127

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sig-Nu
Anybody here been to American Flyers in Houston...if you have, what did you think about it? It is a 3 day class, 8 hours each and they give you the test on Sunday when finish.

thanks

All I know is I get their unsolicited propaganda...I mean "learning materials" from time to time. Not too impressed with their shotgun approach.

Why do you need a class? Study the Gleim or ASA books, or use Sporty's Study buddy for free, then take the written.

I did this with the bunch in Addison. I had been home studying the written exam on my own with the Gleim material, but wanted a bit more.

The class teaches the test, but not the real extra depth you oughtta have to be a knowledgeable pilot. I did pick up some good pointers to help solve various problems (like the ADF "rubber boots (RB Relative Bearing) plus Muddy Hole (MH Magnetic Heading) equals Muddy Boots (MB Magnetic Bearing)"). I did well on the exam (88%) so I was satisfied with the value, especially since the cost of the exam was included.

The classroom environment was good since other attendees raised a question or two that I had yet to think of, and the answer was something I needed to know.

I will state that this weekend exam prep is not a replacement to some form of study ahead of time. If you're going into the cram session completely cold with no prior study of the knowledge info, you will be lost in hurry.

If you are working the practice exams offered from the various sources (gleim, dauntless, exams4pilots, Sportys, ASA, etc) and have been scoring well, then you might want to consider saving the additional money and just go straight into the exam.

Last edited:
I did this with the bunch in Addison. I had been home studying the written exam on my own with the Gleim material, but wanted a bit more.

The class teaches the test, but not the real extra depth you oughtta have to be a knowledgeable pilot. I did pick up some good pointers to help solve various problems (like the ADF "rubber boots (RB Relative Bearing) plus Muddy Hole (MH Magnetic Heading) equals Muddy Boots (MB Magnetic Bearing)"). I did well on the exam (88%) so I was satisfied with the value, especially since the cost of the exam was included.

The classroom environment was good since other attendees raised a question or two that I had yet to think of, and the answer was something I needed to know.

I will state that this weekend exam prep is not a replacement to some form of study ahead of time. If you're going into the cram session completely cold with no prior study of the knowledge info, you will be lost in hurry.

If you are working the practice exams offered from the various sources (gleim, dauntless, exams4pilots, Sportys, ASA, etc) and have been scoring well, then you might want to consider saving the additional money and just go straight into the exam.

I have been using dauntless everyday for over a month. Stuff like regulations, airspace, weather, psych...i know all that. It is just read it and remember it. It is weights and balance, maps, charts, flight planning that I am not 100% on.

Don't waste your time or money. I'd go with an online course but then again depend on how much it is and if u have the time as certain things the online doesn't teach like how to use e6b

Why do you need a class? Study the Gleim or ASA books, or use Sporty's Study buddy for free, then take the written.
Some people just do better in a classroom environment -- not everyone learns well from just books. Knowing your own best learning style is important in choosing your learning method for maximum effectiveness. Please don't rag on the OP or suggest s/he is wasting either time or money by doing what s/he thinks works for him/her.

Some people just do better in a classroom environment -- not everyone learns well from just books. Knowing your own best learning style is important in choosing your learning method for maximum effectiveness. Please don't rag on the OP or suggest s/he is wasting either time or money by doing what s/he thinks works for him/her.

I am a 36 year old widowed dad of an 8 and 7 year old. I haven't studied for a test in about 15 years. Studying has proven to be tough mainly because of time and the fact that I kinda forgot how to study.

Keep coming with the opinions, I do appreciate it!

thanks

I have been using dauntless everyday for over a month. Stuff like regulations, airspace, weather, psych...i know all that. It is just read it and remember it. It is weights and balance, maps, charts, flight planning that I am not 100% on.

Feel free to start new threads on the specific topics and/or questions that have you stumped. We will do our best to either explain or confuse!

Out of curiosity, what text book are you using?

And if you haven't already found them check out the FAA books online (downloadable free as PDF's) at http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/

I am a 36 year old widowed dad of an 8 and 7 year old. I haven't studied for a test in about 15 years. Studying has proven to be tough mainly because of time and the fact that I kinda forgot how to study.

Keep coming with the opinions, I do appreciate it!

thanks

Brother I totally feel your pain. Now add another 18 years to your current state and that's the level I was at just over a month ago trying to prepare for IFR oral/checkride. For my PPL written back in '09 I attended a similar local classroom groundschool program. It was worth the money to me, 40 hrs' of training over 2 weekends. This time for my IFR written I decided to use King Schools. It actually met my needs better this time around as I was able to do lessons every day and let the info slowly enter my memory banks. I think either style will get the job done (which is passing the written) so maybe decide how you want to prepare your self... Fast and Furious or Slow Roasted. Good luck to you.

For the written test I used the Gleim and the Sportys on line courses and test prep. Both seemed to have good and not so good points, so along with my flight school/instructors I was able to figure stuff out.
Before the written test I did at least 2 mock tests a day for a couple of weeks, just to get into test mode. I got an 87% and the questions I missed a couple of them where ones I second guessed myself on.:mad2:

I think just doing the written prep on its own without flying is a mistake, as I found it very helpful to see what I had been reading about into "real world" situations, it also helped me understand a lot more of the material.
I had done about 30 hours when I took the written test, and now am at about 70 total and getting ready for the check ride. While the process has taken about a year, doing 3-4 flights a month as well as the book work.

Studying for this 44 year old does not come easy either, work, family etc eat the time away, which is why I have been in no hurry to complete the process.

Feel free to start new threads on the specific topics and/or questions that have you stumped. We will do our best to either explain or confuse!

Out of curiosity, what text book are you using?

And if you haven't already found them check out the FAA books online (downloadable free as PDF's) at http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/

The only books I have are Gleims. They were given to me. Most of my studying comes from the Dauntless app.

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/groundschool/

This got me a 94%:

Purchase the blue ASA test prep book. Over a period of 3 weeks, read every evening. Do every sample question once. If you get it wrong, do not move on until you understand why you got it wrong.

When you finish that book, download the Gleim online test prep software. Do actual length practice tests. When you get a question wrong, be sure you understand why you got it wrong. Continue taking practice tests until you score consistently 90 percent or above.

Now go take the written test and pass.

The only books I have are Gleims. They were given to me. Most of my studying comes from the Dauntless app.

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/groundschool/

Ahh... that might be the bottleneck.

Adding to your library might help. In addition to the FAA AC's I mentioned above, consider getting a copy of Bob Gardner's "The Complete Private Pilot" book.

Other folks like Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook.

Any of these, and what you have already, are good choices to have and review. Each covers the same information. But for you, one of them might cover it just a bit better so that light bulb over your head comes on and burns brighter.

I took the test there a few months back, but used Gleim. Testing environment is decent. As far as the course, not sure...

I wanted to update this thread. I took my written last Friday and passed (90). I stuck with the dauntless aviation app and it did me well. I never purchased any other books just the $30 app. I have a friend who is a commercial pilot and he helped explain W&B, performance and a few things like that but mostly the dauntless app did it. Just putting it out there for any other students, I will be using Dauntless for my IFR studying.

thanks

Almost forgot...I did not attend the American Flyers test prep class. When it was time to go I felt like I was ready for the test so I drove to New Orleans to take it instead of Houston for Amer Flyers.

I've used the Dauntless stuff to get back up to speed after a 40 year lay off. It has helped me considerably. I've used their Sport and Private Pilot written and oral applications and now instrument.

Back