PPL study material suggestions

Rigged4Flight

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Rigged4Flight
I have the John & Martha King PPL DVD set, and I'm slowly going through it, but a problem I have is that I learn and retain information much better if I have some type of exercise/feedback after each block of instruction.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good study material that would fit this description? Book format would be okay. Would love to have it in electronic format, but preferably on CD/DVD as opposed to internet. Access to any kind of internet is iffy at the moment, as I can get to the internet, but if the page has any graphics at all I'm relegated to just clicking and waiting, which is slow and frustrating.

I used the Gleim materials for my PPL. Very satisfied. No videos but plenty of practice tests and graphics. I score 89 on my written.

The Jeppesen Guide Flight Discovery Private Pilot book has what you want -- review questions at the end of each chapter.

Second the suggestion for the Gleim study materials. They fit your needs you described perfectly. I used them and got a 98 on the written. Definitely reccomend!

It' been a while since i've looked at them, but don't the King DVDs have questions at the end of the each section?
And did it come with a book of questions? If so, that book's roughly the same as the Gleim book. The gleim book isn't really questions about the material, it's a list of the FAA questions and answers. It'll help you pass the written exam, but i'm not so sure it's a good review of material.

I think this is the book Ron's talking about: http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/product_details.jsp?id=prod912
I'm sure it's available from other sites, and it says it's available as an ebook now too. It's a nice book, but pricey.

There's a bunch of other stuff in the guided flight discovery system, including a test prep book which again is basically the same format as the Gleim book. You can buy the text book separately.

King Schools videos and Rod Machado's book, plus practice test of Sporty's Study Buddy iPad app. Got me a 92. I could get more, but I did not read instructions carefully on 2 questions.

One thing I don't see much on the aviation boards is Ground School at a Community College. My local one offers both PPL and Instrument Schools. If you have one in the area, check their book list (or sign up). If you don't have one near, check Sinclair Community College in Dayton OH.

My Club that ran a 141 school used the Gleim books before it was closed by the USAF.

Cheers

Watch the king videos, then take a practice test where it will show you the correct answer IMMEDIATELY if you get the answer wrong.

Get some practice tests on your smart phone too, if you are running through 150 or so questions per day you wont have a issue when it come to testing time.

First of all, I'd suggest that you don't get into the mindset that you need study materials just to pass the written test. There is a lot more to training than the Knowledge Test.

You have a lot of options. Consider which forms of media work best for you: videos, books, audio, multimedia, or in person. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Take a look at the Gold Seal Online Ground School. It is a full multimedia course - not just a test prep package. You can register for free and take roughly a third of the modules without any charge whatsoever. If you like what you see, enroll for the full course for just $77. This gives you complete access to the entire program plus a Certificate of Completion and a written test endorsement.

The Gold Seal Online Ground School was the first internet-based program for the FAA Private Pilot certificate. Over the years, over 21,000 pilots have registered. We do offer an unlimited money-back guarantee of satisfaction. Take the entire course, print out your certificate and endorsement, and if you decide you are dissatisfied, let us know and we'll issue you a FULL refund.

Check it out at: www.OnlineGroundSchool.com.

The Gleim book will get you a decent score on the written, but it will NOT teach you all you need to know. It even says so in the introduction. It is not a textbook.

I don't have a specific suggestion, as I don't rely much on review questions, but I would suggest avoiding anything that smells like a gimmick. I haven't seen the Jepp book, but that's where I would look first if I were in your shoes.

Another possibility might be a community college ground school textbook. Quite a number of community colleges don't have aviation departments, but these days, quite a lot put their textbook lists online, so it doesn't have to be nearby.

Good luck.

The king videos used to have "DVD Menus" disguised as test questions. For my PPL, I just got the ASA Exam prep and went through it multiple times until I had all the answers right. This is enough to score 100% on the written. I then read the entire Jeppesen book and did most of the exercises. I got a copy of the Jeppesen DVDs (they are a cure for insomnia, Dr. Bruce should be along shortly to confirm this) and went to sleep watching them over and over and over and over again... Best have an understanding significant other. I didn't like the Gliem books, still don't. Of all the videos, I'd say the King videos worked the best. The Jeppesen ones, while more in depth and technical, put me to sleep and the Kings annoy you just enough to keep you awake. They're corny, annoying at times but seem like 2 people you'd like to know and they don't give the dead pan, textbook recital that the others do. One thing I liked about the King videos is that sometimes they even contradict what a/my instructor said and when they do that, you'll immediately run to your instructor to ask... You'll never forget that.

Stuff I wish I found before I spent money on Jeppeson "knowledge kit" (which includes the textbook)...

Websites with practice exams like RisingUP and 4VFR. 4VFR shows you the correct answer immediately. Don't know the answer, study it up. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

FAA version of a textbook: document FAA-H-8083-25A "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge." Free .pdf download from the FAA. Why did I spend that money on the Jeppeson textbook???

There are plenty of Youtube and other webpage tutorials.

My experience isn't validated yet, however, I take 60 or 100 question exams on 4VFR and get 75-85% minimum. Studied about 3 weeks going back almost 2 months ago. Getting back into to be prepared for the final written and oral in about 3-4 weeks.

Last edited:
My son used the Pilot Training Solutions material and liked it quite a bit.
It goes through the material with a bunch of user interactivity, especially when the topic covered is not easy to digest and at the end of each chapter it has a ten question test to reinforce the material learned. I don't know if the private is as entertaining as the instrument we baught but I assume it would be.
I think their website is passfaaexams.com

They also have free demos and videos so you can see if you like them before buying

I had no choice. My flight school required that I buy a kit at the start. This was it:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/2101

While it's all I know aside from what I learn on the internet and from my CFI, I have to say it seems like a very competent collection of training materials.

It seems overpriced, but at least the quality is there.

I second Machado's private pilot handbook. I bought the hard copy, as well as the iPad app format. Great book.

I had no choice. My flight school required that I buy a kit at the start. It seems overpriced, but at least the quality is there.

Yeah, quite expensive. If it's any consolation, the Jepp stuff, particularly their textbooks, are very well done. I like their books a lot.

I also bought the Machado book (and workbook!) The matrial is an easy read. Never feels like studying.

I also bought the Machado book (and workbook!) The matrial is an easy read. Never feels like studying.

Rod's books are great, but sometimes it feels like he's giving a bit too much and not very practical information.

Back