PPL Solo & HP Time Towards Insurance Rates

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
So now I'm curious, given the following hypothetical PPL student, are any of these times considered w/r to insurance costs:

100hrs: Total time (dual + solo)
50hrs: Total Dual given
50hrs: Total Solo (pattern, practice, XC)
50hrs: Total HP (during all solo)

...so does the solo time count towards PIC time? Does it count towards insurance rates? Does the solo HP time count towards total HP time and insurance rates too?

Having a plane is awesome and being able to solo is awesomer :) But going above and beyond would be a (somewhat) waste of time if it doesn't count towards insurance premiums and other ratings until after the PPL is finished.

...so does the solo time count towards PIC time? Does it count towards insurance rates? Does the solo HP time count towards total HP time and insurance rates too?

Has your instructor discussed what does and does not count for PIC time? How are you logging your solo time?

As far as insurance goes, I have never been asked about high performance time, nor do I log it. I don't think the insurance companies care about it. Time in type would be far more important and have an effect on your insurance rate.

Having a plane is awesome and being able to solo is awesomer :) But going above and beyond would be a (somewhat) waste of time if it doesn't count towards insurance premiums and other ratings until after the PPL is finished.

In my opinion, doing any solo work beyond what is necessary to get the rating plus any additional solo time your instructor wants is not worth the effort, unless you just want to fly because you can. Your time would be better spent working with your instructor to meet the requirements needed to take the checkride. Once the checkride is done there won't be the limitations your instructor placed on you anymore, and you can do whatever you want to.

Never been asked about HP time. But I've never insured an HP aircraft either. Usually they care about your certificates and ratings, TT and make and model, and TT and make and model in the past 12 months.

Duh. It's about the type then and not the endorsements.

So then in the example above, does the 50hrs of solo time (in this case a 182 fixed gear) help towards insurance costs being lower vs a 0 time PPL who buys a 182 or are they both considered the same?

Duh. It's about the type then and not the endorsements.

So then in the example above, does the 50hrs of solo time (in this case a 182 fixed gear) help towards insurance costs being lower vs a 0 time PPL who buys a 182 or are they both considered the same?

Yes, time in type is always helpful for insurance rates.

The annual insurance renewal form for the Navajo asks for total time, time in type, complex time, and date of the required category & class IPC.

I'm probably wrong... but my logbook shows HP and Complex in separate columns because they are both things I have endorsements for. If I had a TW endorsement I'd log that too.

I know it's not required by the FAA, and I'm not sure if it impacts my rates in any way. But I do it.

Has your instructor discussed what does and does not count for PIC time? How are you logging your solo time?
As I understand it, FAR 61.51 (e)(4) spells out a student pilot who is the sole occupant and has a valid solo endorsement can log as PIC.

The main point of the question is does the clock only start ticking (insurance wise) after the PPL or do the 50 hours of solo/PIC during training count as time in type towards reducing insurance costs?

As for time building solo, I will have a couple week stretch where our schedules don't align, he's fine with me practicing and encourages it over just sitting and waiting. There are certain procedures I don't practice without him.

Your insurance rep can answer all of these. I bought a plane as a student pilot and it worked out fine. Time in type is important.

As I understand it, FAR 61.51 (e)(4) spells out a student pilot who is the sole occupant and has a valid solo endorsement can log as PIC.

The main point of the question is does the clock only start ticking (insurance wise) after the PPL or do the 50 hours of solo/PIC during training count as time in type towards reducing insurance costs?

As for time building solo, I will have a couple week stretch where our schedules don't align, he's fine with me practicing and encourages it over just sitting and waiting. There are certain procedures I don't practice without him.

I'm curious, why do you believe your time as a student doesn't count? A student pilot certificate is a pilot certificate, just like a private pilot certificate is so your time starts from lesson one.

Have you looked at an application for insurance? What questions do they ask? Do they ever ask about time accumulated prior to a private pilot certificate issuance vs. after? ;)

Considering there are only a handful of aviation insurance underwriters the questions asked and expectations are going to be fairly uniform, especially when dealing with something as common as a 182. If you really want to know the answers to your questions, I'd call your insurance broker. They should be able to answer them for you, and answer them related to your specific policy. The best anyone here can do is guess and give general answers. Your broker should also be shopping for the best deal for your desired coverage every year when the premium is due. Sometimes the lowest bidder is a different company than your currently with.

Also, don't expect everyone's insurance experience to be the same. I never saw nearly the premium decrease many people see when they get their instrument rating and I saw no decrease for any additional ratings. My agent essentially told me I was already at the lowest risk level from day one. I'd expect that your rates will drop once you get your private certificate though, and will continue to drop as you gain total time and time in type.

Back