PPL school near Austin Texas

Max B

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MaxB
I am interested in taking flight lessons to obtain a PPL for hobby flights. I live in North Austin and have zero experience. On the forums I read it's best to avoid AUS, because you'll spend most of your time to get in and out of airspace. Georgetown is close by, but I can consider others, like San Marcos as well.

Does anyone know of any good flight schools?
Bonus question: do I need to be a US citizen?

Googling, I found:
* Austin Academy & Aviation (AAoA) in San Marcos: 221$/h (159$ plane + 62$ instructor), 230$ intro lesson
* Genesis Aero in Georgetown -- one requirement is US Citizen.

Above and Beyond at Austin Executive Airport (KEDC), north of town. Austin Executive is a Class D (Towered) airport, so you'll learn how to use the radio, but not in a busy airspace of Austin Bergstrom Class C space.

Many years ago I lived in Austin.

As a member of the Bergstrom AFB Aero Club I could fly new Cherokee 140s

for $7 per hour. Wet!!! Has that changed

Also recall Timm’s Airpark and BirdsNest . Eagles Nest?

Many years ago I lived in Austin.

As a member of the Bergstrom AFB Aero Club I could fly new Cherokee 140s

for $7 per hour. Wet!!! Has that changed

Also recall Timm’s Airpark and BirdsNest . Eagles Nest?
Everything you posted has changed!! No AFB Aero Club, no $7/hour, no Tim's Airpark or Bird's Nest airport!

Tim's Airpark became Austin Executive Airpark (not the current Austin Executive) and was purchased and demolished. You can still see a hangar or two, but no runway. Only large business buildings now.

Bird's Nest is now Austin Executive Airport and in no way resembles what it used to be!

Black Hound Aviation in San Marcos is a good school run by a very good instructor and all-around dude. I would give Marty a call.

There are many good schools around Austin. At GTU: Genesis,pilot’s choice,all atps. Edu & AUS : Above and beyond.

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Above and Beyond does not work with non-citizens unfortunately. Some schools may allow it if you have TSA approval.
Therefore I am now contacting some of the others mentioned in the thread: Black Hound Aviation, Gensis, Pilot's Choice.

If they don't take citizens either, it may be a good reason to finally apply for citizenship :).

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Above and Beyond does not work with non-citizens unfortunately. Some schools may allow it if you have TSA approval.
Therefore I am now contacting some of the others mentioned in the thread: Black Hound Aviation, Gensis, Pilot's Choice.

If they don't take citizens either, it may be a good reason to finally apply for citizenship :).
Reach out to them and let me know if it doesn't work. My friend may be able to do it. I don't know the rules!

You won't beat Pilot's Choice at GTU for price in the Austin area, but price should is only one ingredient in choosing flight instruction. They are an all low-wing shop (Tomahawks, PA28, etc). I got my instrument there - but have not been there in 5 years. Website looks up to date.

Thanks. Both Genesis Aero and Pilot's Choice are willing to work with me. There is indeed a huge price difference, so I wonder what more I would get out of Genesis Aero.

Genesis Aero: between 238-398$/h (incl 68$ for instructor), depending on plane. Planes: Cessna 172, Cirrus SR20 Generations 2-6.
Pilot's Choice: between 159-300$/h (incl 50$ for instructor), depending on plane. Planes: Tomahawk, Archer, Warrior, Duchess.

I have zero experience with any of those airplanes :). Any thoughts?

Thanks. Both Genesis Aero and Pilot's Choice are willing to work with me. There is indeed a huge price difference, so I wonder what more I would get out of Genesis Aero.

Genesis Aero: between 238-398$/h (incl 68$ for instructor), depending on plane. Planes: Cessna 172, Cirrus SR20 Generations 2-6.
Pilot's Choice: between 159-300$/h (incl 50$ for instructor), depending on plane. Planes: Tomahawk, Archer, Warrior, Duchess.

I have zero experience with any of those airplanes :). Any thoughts?

Genesis has newer, fancier planes. Cirrus planes cost a fortune to rent. But they have fancy avionics and a parachute and they're relatively new. I'm going to guess the 172 also has updated avionics in it at that price.

Pilot's Choice has older planes with most likely older avionics. The Tomahawk, Warrior and Archer are all Piper, low-wing aircraft. Probably no "glass" avionics at this school. The Duchess is a twin-engined Beechcraft, but you'd not be taking PPL flights in her.

It would be good if you could visit both schools - see the planes and meet the instructors - and see which one you'd prefer.

Back