PPL Checkride - Pt. 2

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
My school - A community college called Albuquerque TVI - has a flight program. I am starting my instrument training there next semester. Since I already have my PPL - they are gonna give me credit for it....if I pass a few tests.

Tomorrow - well, actually, in 9 hours, I have to retake the written exam (sorta - I think its just a similar test). If I pass, I get 3 credit hours, and credit for AVIA132 (Private Pilot Ground School).

Then - probably not tomorrow - I have to take a checkride with the chief CFI. This will be the exact same thing as the PPL Checkride. If I pass - I get 3 credit hours, and credit for AVIA132L (Private Pilot Lab).

Its kinda like CLEPing the classes. I'm nervous. Sigh.

i dot understand, they are only going to give you 6 hours credit for what the faa says is a minimum 40 hour program? do the piots who go thru their PPL recieve 6 hours when they pass their checkride?
Well, Im happy for you. Good Luck Nick.

edit...i see now...credit hours. like in school.
sounds good Nick.

Michael

NickDBrennan said:
I'm nervous. Sigh.
Nick,
It's likely your examiner will comment on something (several things?) about your technique that he/she thinks you could improve on, some of which are simply a matter of opinion. "Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full." is always the correct response to those comments.
Have a great flight. You'll do well I'm sure. Let us know how it goes.

6 credit hours usually means 6 hrs per week instruction plus homework for a whole semester. Should be more than 40 hours done that way.

Good luck Nick. It'll be a piece of cake. Remember the easy parts of Ron Levy's test taking rules.... RELAX. (You can find the rest of the rules on the board. He posted them for Ben.) Remember also, you already did this so you are only doing this for points. You did the first one (for real). This is just practice.

Ok - part 1 is done - got an 88 on the written exam (it was exactly the same as a lasergrade format test).

Easiest 3 credits I've ever earned :)

Of course - the scary part was driving on the freeway, when I saw the attached happen.

Crazy drunk truck drivers!!

Actually, its being towed - but it did scare me.

NickDBrennan said:
Ok - part 1 is done - got an 88 on the written exam (it was exactly the same as a lasergrade format test).

Easiest 3 credits I've ever earned :)

Of course - the scary part was driving on the freeway, when I saw the attached happen.

Crazy drunk truck drivers!!

Actually, its being towed - but it did scare me.

We won't even get into crazy drivers taking pictures while driving!! :rofl:

LOL - I thought about that after I took the picture....

call it a lesson learned, and a never again :)

A tractor pulling a tractor...in the 'fast' lane. Plus, it appears his tow isn't properly marked. Boys, you in a heapa trouble.

I get credit hours for getting my PPL, i took a class at Pittsburg State from Tom Richards that prepared me for the written and then i bring a copy of my license and i get a total of 6 hours i believe. Pretty cool stuff

Woohoo!!! I got three more credit hours today - passed my "2nd PPL Checkride."

Go me! :)

Couple of things...

As noted by others, the 6 credits refers to academic credit hours (which usually require at least 15 hours of class time for each credit hour), not flight hours.

Second, university aviation accreditation standards require that unless you got your training at another CAA-accredited college/university, the gaining school must confirm that the transfer student's knowledge and skill meet the gaining school's standards before awarding academic credit for pilot certificates and ratings. In a professional pilot program, just meeting FAA standards isn't good enough -- if it were, the airlines wouldn't test you as part of the hiring process.

You are right Ron,

What I was doing was essentially the aviation equivalent to CLEPing the classes. I challenged the fact that I already possesed the skill and knowledge to pass the class's final, and I succeeded. As such - the normal 3 credit hours for the class that would have come for attending the entire 15 week class, was credited for successfully challenging the classes.

Still - the easiest 6 credit hours I've ever earned in college.

Back