PPL Checkride prep

PilotMedic865

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotMedic865
Other than the Oral Exam guide, and the Far/Aim, what do you guys recommend for checkride prep? My CFI says I know my info and will be fine. But I find myself second guessing on a lot of stuff. Testing never has been my strong suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mock checkride (both ground and flight) from a CFI you’ve never worked with for unbiased (hopefully) opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King has a check ride prep program...

...but honestly the scariest part is not knowing what to expect and listing to everyone that has been though it say "don't worry about it".

Every DPE is different, every student is different..trust your CFI if you are ready, it is a conversation, not a SAT test.

I did stage checks and a bit of mock check ride with the Head Flight Instructor once in while separate from my CFI training and that was more helpful than any "studying" or consuming check ride content that I did.

Last edited:
Other than the Oral Exam guide, and the Far/Aim, what do you guys recommend for checkride prep? My CFI says I know my info and will be fine. But I find myself second guessing on a lot of stuff. Testing never has been my strong suit.

My experience as an examiner was to ensure that you were a safe pilot and in command of the situation at all times. Just safe, not perfect. The examiner is just another passenger, although s/he will ask you to do things that a passenger would never think of. Be familiar with the maneuvers expected of you and the requirements in the Airman Certification Standards; the ACS is a better reference than an oral exam guide of FAR/AIM. Your CFI would not recommend you if you are not ready...his/her certificate is on the line.

Bob

Don't think of the checkride as a "test". Think of it as a "conversation", like @Shawn said, with an expert in the field. The odds of learning something during the ride are nearly 100%. :)

And it's open-book, so if you have a brain-melt on the oral, you can look something up. Bring a FAR/AIM and POH, each full of those little sticky-tabs reminding you where all the important things are so you can find them fast.

If your CFI says you're ready, then just BE YOURSELF.

Don't think of the checkride as a "test". Think of it as a "conversation", like @Shawn said, with an expert in the field. The odds of learning something during the ride are nearly 100%. :)

And it's open-book, so if you have a brain-melt on the oral, you can look something up. Bring a FAR/AIM and POH, each full of those little sticky-tabs reminding you where all the important things are so you can find them fast.

If your CFI says you're ready, then just BE YOURSELF.

My instructor did tell me that he pulled the line of “Sir, take off your DPE hat and put on your CFI hat and teach me this topic so I can have the knowledge with my pink slip.” The DPE didn’t fail him and actually laughed and helped him find the answer. I guess I forget that DPEs are just pilots who love flying and teaching with the rest of us.

Remember all that "other paperwork" have a copy (or the original if it's your plane) and understand what it means. W&B, Annual, ELT, prop insp etc. discussing that is part of the ride.

I would make checklist for each of the maneuvers to study so you when asked to perform you know what you are doing.

Back