PP-ASEL checkride report

kclimie

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kristopher
After several days of constant worry, and a pretty sleepless night I took the PP-ASEL checkride.

I got to the FBO early to finish the flight plan from KCDW to KCXY with updated winds aloft forecast, get a standard briefing and file the flight plan, move my tags from the old AF/D to the new one, and review the aircraft maintenance logs.

The 172N I have been flying in just came out of 100hr inspection, and (uh-oh!) the logbooks are still at the maintenance shop. I talk to the chief pilot and he says to just let the DPE knows when he arrives and if it's a problem to let him know. Turns out it wasn't an issue, the DPE just had me pull one of the other planes logbooks.

When I sat down, Jay Auslander (the DPE) walked me through the entire process, explained what we would be doing, and what his expectations were. He reviewed my logbook and Part 141 file, said everything looked to be in order, and then said it was time to finish the IACRA.

The IACRA was quickly signed and we returned to the conference room, where I pulled out my tagged FAR/AIM, POH, AF/D, charts, Oral Exam guide, and PTS book. From all the stickies I had on them all, it was pretty obvious I had done some prep. :wink2:

In a previous conversation, the chief pilot had recommended this to me, and said to be sure to tell the DPE that, "I will give you what I believe is the correct answer, but if I am not 100% sure I will reference the material, but I will inform you before I do." I had no idea you could do that; I would have shown up with nothing but my charts...

Turns out I didn't need them, but I did learn where the material was in the process of making all the bookmarks, and it made me feel good to know they were there.

Jay started asking questions, and it was just a conversation -- it was like when I had mentioned to a co-worker I was working on the PP-ASEL and he wanted to know more about it, "oh? what about this? What about that? How does this work?" Very natural, and it was just a chat about flying. It was not what I had expected after watching that infamous video, and reading the Oral Exam guide cover-to-cover.

He asked about the required certifications in the aircraft logbooks, and when they need to be renewed. What the difference was between an 100hr and an annual (glad I re-read the Oral guide recently, because I had forgotten that only an A&P/IA can sign off the annual).

We talked about weather, what the outlook for the day was (I wanted to say, "it's gonna be hot. Damn hot. Crotch-pot cookin' hot," but refrained myself).

We discussed airspace, what some of the symbols on the charts mean, aeromedical factors, oxygen user, the dangers of flying persons who had recently been SCUBA diving.

We talked at length about various systems on the airplane (engine, fuel system, ignition system, electrical, etc).

He reviewed the flight plan and W&B he asked me to perform and said it all looked good.

He said he wanted me to calculate conditions based on current weather, and I responded, "right now, the DA was about 2,200ft. We need 1,840" to takeoff." Good enough.

In no time at all, it was time for a break where I snarffed down the sandwich and apple I had thought to bring, grabbed the keys to the plane and headed out to pre-flight.

Pre-flight was a non-issue (other than it being hotter than hades out there today).

Soon enough we were taxiing out to 28 for westbound departure with a transition through Morristown, at which point we were cleared for takeoff.

The plane climbed like a pig...

The XC went well, got a bit off course at the beginning, but quickly and quietly turned to the right towards the next checkpoint. When Jay gave me a sidewards glance, I explained that I was getting us back on course and would be back on the calculated heading then. He asked why we got off, and I explained that I had misjudged the wind, and was putting in too much correction, and that I just need to settle down and follow my plan.

We then cleared the Class Bravo airspace, he asked for my Sectional, and after reviewing it for a minute, said, "let's go to Orange County airport (KMGJ)."

Quickly figured out the right heading and the (wrong) distance and ETE. On my laminated checklist I had taken a sharpie and marked off distance on it -- on one edge, I set the Sectional scale every 5NM, on the other, the TAC scale for 5NM. After a few minutes it dawned on me that I had used the TAC scale to compute the distance and hence the time. Opps. I immediately confessed, he laughed said, "good catch!" and that was that.

So far, I have quoted just about everything the DPE had said since entering the plane. He was very quiet which made me very nervous. I checked where we were. Then double-checked. Then triple-checked. I found a landmard and said, "we are right here," pointing at the sectional. He didn't freak out at me and scream, "zomgwtf are you doing we're all gonna die!!!1!1!one1" so I took that as an encouraging sign. It didn't make my stomach feel any better, but that's ok.

After a few more minutes of (almost unbearable) silence, I spy an airport about 7 miles at our 10 o'clock. Sussex (KFWN). I'd know that damned hill on the approach end of 21 any day. I still have nightmares of simulated engine-outs there (more on that later).

OK, I know I am going in the right direction and KFWN was about where it was supposed to be, so I settled down and concentrated on finding Randall (06N) which was a few miles SW of KMGJ.

I see what might be Orange County airport straight ahead but I'm not 100% sure. I look around and spot an airport with one runway, look in the AF/D to see that runway is 08/26 and after a quick glance at the DG, I confirm that what it was.

"Randall is right there," I said as I pointed at it, "and Orange County is right up ahead."

Instantly, Jay broke his self-imposed radio silence, "that was great, you did such a good job on that diversion, good for you!"

I felt so much better. I tell him the airport elevation, runways, distances, etc. We check the ASOS -- winds are 190 @ 04. I explain that 21 would be the best bet. 21 & 26 have right traffic pattern, and from the position we were in, it would be best to just turn to the left slightly and enter the 45 to downwind -- there is no benefit to doing an overhead pass with the teardrop entry.

Made a very good landing there. We pull off the runway and he recommended moving some of the XC gear to the back (AF/D, flight plan, etc).

Confession time: it wasn't until after I had gotten home and reviewed the chart that I noticed that nice big fat Class D airspace just to the east of KMGJ at Stewart (KSWF). If I had been wrong in my heading by just a few degrees at the beginning, I could have easily busted that...

Back at KMGJ, Jay had me enter the traffic pattern for 21, and abeam the numbers he said pull the throttle for an engine out. Not a problem -- I basically treated it as a short-field approach -- immediately turn towards the threshold, and then bring it in.

A few weeks ago, I had a simulated emergency almost turn into a real emergency when my instructor pulled the throttle for a simulated engine-out abeam the numbers at Sussex. I chose to go around the hill thats there -- bad choice. We were skimming the tree-tops. In discussing this with the chief-pilot, he said in the plane I was in, a 172N with 40 degrees of flaps, he would probably dump them all in and just aim for the numbers. With all those flaps, it's going to be hard to overspeed and it will come down fast.

This is the approach I took at KMGJ -- put in all the flaps, nose down, and brought it right in. Touch down about halfway between the numbers the 1,000' marker.

Touch-and-go and we were off again. At about 800' AGL I hear, "so if your engine failed right now what would you do? Better yet, pull the throttle."

Damn, someone really needs to look at the engine in this thing...

I point the nose down and said, "see that highway? Let's head for that." "Great choice," he said, "just watch out for that overpass. Well done, full throttle and lets get to altitude and do some hood work."

While climbing we discussed the full-flaps approach on the first engine out -- he explained that he would probably not put in any flaps until final was assured, but my approach was perfectly valid. At that point I relayed the story of my horrific approach at Sussex and the subsequent discussion with the chief-pilot.

Jay gave me a heading and altitude to follow and then we did some slow flight and stalls. Various maneuvers followed after which the hood went on, and two 180 degree turns were followed by VOR tracking.

We headed back towards Caldwell, at which point we did pattern work (soft field, short field, go-around, etc). In no time at all we were sitting in a parking spot, Jay looks over at me with a big smile and says, "Congratulations!" And gives me a firm handshake. :D

I was quite surprised by Jay -- he was fun to fly with, he was encouraging, when you did something right, he would say, "that was nice!" If something was-good-enough-but-not-great he would say, "that was still within standards, but consider x, y, and z." Best of all, he wasn't in a hurry. If you needed a minute to clear you head, he would give it to you, nary a concern.

Not to mention that he is a nice guy and genuinely wants you to pass.

TL;DR: New PP-ASEL is certified, so check your six. Also, Jay Auslander was a great DPE that I highly recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Great write up and congratulations!!! So you really had an engine out? Thank goodness you were by an airport, good job with that as well!

Wow! great job on the check ride and that's quite a write-up. Congrats private pilot.

It's really nice to hear about the positive DPEs out there.

Great write up and congratulations!!! So you really had an engine out? Thank goodness you were by an airport, good job with that as well!

Thankfully no, both engine outs were simulated, sorry for the confusion.

Congrats, can you amplify on that engine out scenario please?

The first was just, "your engine has failed," while on downwind abeam the numbers. So where you would normally reduce power to 1500RPM, he said to just pull it to idle. I just chose to treat it as a short approach in my head.

The second was more of a discussion during initial climb, "so what do you do if the engine fails right now?" that turned into, "just pull the throttle and show me." Basically what I think he wanted to see was that the nose came down and we immediately chose a landing zone. I didn't try to pitch for best glide because at 800' AGL, that gives you almost no extra glide before you hit the ground. Obviously we couldn't go below 500' without busting the regs, so he just said, "good job, full throttle, let's climb out."

Congratulations. Enjoy your certificate :)

Wowww! Congrats!! I was suppose to do my check ride with jay today for ppl as well.. Funny I asked for a report on him lik2 weeks ago. Great write up.

Always fun to read about someone else's day in the sun. Nice job, and congrats.

Well done on the check ride pass! Enjoy your new prvellages! Any plans for your first flight as a private pilot?

Re: Stewart's class D near MGJ- it is really close! I have not gone into MGJ yet but landed at Stewart 2 times. Visiting MGJ is on my list of destinations and I know I'll be looking out for that class D.

Thanks everyone. :goofy:

Wowww! Congrats!! I was suppose to do my check ride with jay today for ppl as well.. Funny I asked for a report on him lik2 weeks ago. Great write up.

Thank you for canceling with him, it worked out well for me.

Well done on the check ride pass! Enjoy your new prvellages! Any plans for your first flight as a private pilot?

Re: Stewart's class D near MGJ- it is really close! I have not gone into MGJ yet but landed at Stewart 2 times. Visiting MGJ is on my list of destinations and I know I'll be looking out for that class D.

Well, my wife has said that if I take anyone up before her, I am in big trouble. :D

I have a friend who has to visit the NY Presbyterian Hospital tomorrow and is going to stay with us for the night. I said I would see about taking us up Tuesday early evening or Wednesday morning, but the weather isn't looking that great. Hopefully it will work out.

As for MGJ, it is a very nice airport with two 100' wide runways, with 03/21 being a hair over 5,000' long. The only trick to it is the hill just inside of the downwind-to-base turn of 21 but it's not really a factor with a regular pattern approach. For short-field or simulated engine-out, best to turn before you get to it.

Congrats! Great write up. Sounds like you had an awesome DPE. I hope I get someone as cool as you did. :)

Congratulations and thanks for the write up!

Back