PowerPoint on MacBook: How do *not* trip the virus warning?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I want to launch a video from within a PowerPoint stack.

I have it saved on my MacBook hard drive as an MP4.

But when I click the control button I set up to "hyperlink" to an external item and launch the video, I get this warning.

upload_2020-8-27_22-4-35.png

Anyone in the PoA hive mind have an idea how to have that not show up?

(Google-Fu failed me as I wasn't able to find the answer myself quickly)

Odd, I start videos all the time. Are the videos online or on your computer? If on your computer, shouldn't be a problem. If online, you may need to look at your security/firewall settings.

My problem right now...on the Mac, teaching using Microsoft Teams. At random times, iTunes starts up. Worst (or best) part? Plays the opening theme to "Terminator".

I think you’re fighting something similar to this with gatekeeper.

Recommend doing the thing in the “Solved” to set ALL mp4 files to open in something.

But I also suggest downloading VLC and not opening videos in PowerPoint. That’s a whole different security problem.

Gatekeeper quarantines EVERYthing downloaded from the internet until you tell it not to and open the machine up to all of the “I opened a file type that might totally own my machine” for that file type.

If you’ve ever opened mp4 files in something other than PowerPoint like dunno, maybe Preview can deal with them... never checked... ages ago it was QuickTime which shouldn’t be used anymore really ever...

The meta data for that file type is probably all mixed up and screwed up.

Not totally identical to this post but I suspect something really close. Gatekeeper can be a PITA.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250102205

@denverpilot and @murphey

Figured it out.... As usual, I was doing it the more difficult Aggie method....

I was using a clickable button to hyperlink to mp4 file that was "outside" of the PowerPoint. So it was going external and warning me that the "outside" file could be hazardous.

Just now I remembered the word "embed" and figured out how to use the insert function, then look alllll the way on the right side of the ribbon to see the icon for Video.

Now the video clips play within PPT and no hazardous to my health warnings.

@denverpilot and @murphey

Figured it out.... As usual, I was doing it the more difficult Aggie method....

I was using a clickable button to hyperlink to mp4 file that was "outside" of the PowerPoint. So it was going external and warning me that the "outside" file could be hazardous.

Just now I remembered the word "embed" and figured out how to use the insert function, then look alllll the way on the right side of the ribbon to see the icon for Video.

Now the video clips play within PPT and no hazardous to my health warnings.

Ahh yeah. That would make Gayekeeper or Ppt itself freak out. LOL.

Sounds like you’re making a PPT but if just watching, definitely grab VLC. Monster media software that is a true Swiss Army knife. Does way more than just play stuff.

And free.

Back