Powering Garmin GPS without 12v cigarette outlet

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
I just bought a used Aera 660 to use in my airplane. The problem is I do not have a 12v cigarette lighter outlet in my cockpit any more. I do have many USB outlets though. How can I go about powering this thing without having to install anything else?

I made this out of a Harbor Freight ammo box and use a 8AH 12v SLA battery. I mostly use it when camping but nothing to prevent taking it along in the plane. I added a connector so that I could plug it into a folding solar panel or a battery minder to recharge. Mine has two 12v outlets and 2 USB outlets.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 28
I made this out of a Harbor Freight ammo box and use a 8AH 12v SLA battery. I mostly use it when camping but nothing to prevent taking it along in the plane. I added a connector so that I could plug it into a folding solar panel or a battery minder to recharge. Mine has two 12v outlets and 2 USB outlets.

I'd rather not have to lug yet another thing to the airplane, but that is a neat setup.

I believe it will charge w/ the USB cable. Pretty sure that's how I'm powering/charging mine in the yoke cradle until I hardwire it
USB Cable | Garmin
From the pilot's guide: "Charge the aera 660 for at least 4 hours before using on battery power. Charge the battery by connecting the aviation power cable, the USB cable, an AC adapter, or use a stand-alone battery charger (optional accessory)."

I believe it will charge w/ the USB cable. Pretty sure that's how I'm powering/charging mine in the yoke cradle until I hardwire it
USB Cable | Garmin
From the pilot's guide: "Charge the aera 660 for at least 4 hours before using on battery power. Charge the battery by connecting the aviation power cable, the USB cable, an AC adapter, or use a stand-alone battery charger (optional accessory)."

Oh, I didn't realize that it could be powered/charged via the USB cable. Excellent!

I flew with some cheapo campsite power pack for a long time. Now that I'm using iPads I just got a mongo USB backup. The thing lasts a good long time.

Back