Powered Parachutes

nyoung

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan young
Anyone here have time in one ? Care to share your thoughts/comments, specifically how it compares/contrasts to flying more conventional GA?

I would really to fly one someday... it seems a perfect thing to do on a warm summer evening...

I heard a seminar about them. Can't fly if the wind is more than 5 or 10 knots, so normally they're used in the early morning and late evening, when the wind slows down. They are relatively easy to fly, and I think you need 10-12 hours worth of training, if I recall correctly. You control altitude with the throttle, and direction with rudder pedals, which are hooked up to either side of the parachute.

I heard a seminar about them. Can't fly if the wind is more than 5 or 10 knots, so normally they're used in the early morning and late evening, when the wind slows down. They are relatively easy to fly, and I think you need 10-12 hours worth of training, if I recall correctly. You control altitude with the throttle, and direction with rudder pedals, which are hooked up to either side of the parachute.

You don't NEED nothing (legally) but it would be stupid to not get the training.

One speed. Throttle controls altiude as you say. Pedals would be in a sit down trike, othewise you have toggles that you pull - and you wear the engine on your back. Stalling the canopy is a bad idea.

I work with a guy who has one - claims they are real safe. But I hear about a lot of accidents at every fly-in he goes to. The worst he has done was to bend his landing gear (ankle) - but he was on crutches for quite a while.

You don't NEED nothing (legally) but it would be stupid to not get the training.

Depends. The two-seaters fit in the whole SLA thing, if I'm not mistaken. There are ones that are ultralights, though. And there are ones that you wear on your back, and yes, your feet are the landing gear. Now that I think about it the wind has to be less than 5 knots.

The bigger wheeled ones are a different breed than the backpack ones. There is a LSA category for heavy/two seaters. I flew in one once it was fun. Poor mans helicopter. I wouldn't mine having one. The fellow I flew with had 950 hours in them. He was retired and traveled around in his motorhome towing a trailer with his paraplane. Flying in different places seeing different sites. Seemed a cool retirement to me. Understand they are not travel by air machines, but you can easily tow them wherever you want to fly.

Understand they are not travel by air machines, but you can easily tow them wherever you want to fly.

Can't see why not. I've seen the things at Oshkosh, little more than an engine, a couple seats, and a parachute. Not that big, not very heavy, and not hard to transport.

The guy who gave the talk I heard was the local dealer, he would fly one around his farm in the mornings. Said the fool thing could climb to 10K feet.

I bought a wings (Paratoys 33M) and full harness (for unpowered flight) but haven't yet bought a motor. I hope to take lessons this fall.

Can't see why not. I've seen the things at Oshkosh, little more than an engine, a couple seats, and a parachute. Not that big, not very heavy, and not hard to transport.

The guy who gave the talk I heard was the local dealer, he would fly one around his farm in the mornings. Said the fool thing could climb to 10K feet.

Easy to transport by trailer not practical for flying cross country. They are neat and great way to fly for flyings sake.

Hello,
I have owned three total now. They are for the most part pretty simple. Yeah anything that does not fall in the ultralight catagory (ie 5 gal of fuel or less, single seater, 254lb or less etc.) had to be registered. The FAA passed a dead line in 08 for all existing 2 seaters be registerd.
Anyway, as for comparason to the back packs (paragliders). They are a whole nother breed.
You can get them ranging in power, but the most common are the Rotax 582 (65hp). Though you can opt for the 100hp, but can figure on the cost being twice as much. Prices vary alot depending on new or used and the size.
If I were to guess a new 2 seater runs anywhere from 10 grand to 35 grand.
One of my previous ones was a rare one, fitted for taking of and landing on water. New it was just shy of 45k. Which is crazy, I bought it used by the way.
As for flying we are limited to the winds, anything above 8 to 10 mph is unconfortable to me. but you can fly in 12mph winds. It's hard to compare to a fixed wing, I have some time in a cessna. It's more like your floating I guess, and swooping down in pastures grazzing the grass is hard to beat.
By Sport Pilot we are limited to 10,000 feet, though I have never been close to that. About the highest personaly for me is 3600' and then I start to worrie about one of you big boys screaming by lol.
Also as far as crosscountry, it not practical, though I can easly cover 60 or so miles one way. And get about 3 hours of flight out of a 15 gallon tank. Speed ranges between 28 and 32mph on average. This all depends on the winds, weight and the chute. Probably the most common chute is the slow and sluggish square (actually retanguler) they range in all sizes, most common being the 500 square footer. And the sportier ellipticals are small but can carry as much weight, fly faster, cut on a dime, let rpms to maintain level flight etc. As with anything, there are all kinds of improvements if you have the money to spend.
Most of our flights are early mornings, late evenings when it's the most calm. So much more that 2 to 3 hours is about it.
Anyway, if you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer. If you ever get the chance to go up in one, I can promiss it not to disappoint.

As for being safe, they are like anything else, it takes good judgment, common sense and so on. These planes are vurtually stall resistant, can't spin em, collapse the chute etc. Actually you can but, it's something you have to make it do and then its not easy.
It only takes one jacka$$ like in the above link to make our sport look bad and set us back.

Take Care,
Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Back