Power window motor replacement

Dan Smith

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
The rear driver side window motor on my Subaru has died. The dealer wanted a huge amount to replace it, and I'm looking into the possibility of doing it myself. I've found the right motor for a lot less than the dealer price, but could use any thoughts or advice from anyone who has replaced one before. Is it a fairly straightforward job that is feasible for a moderately mechanical owner? Or am I liable to end up with my door in pieces and begging for help from the dealer?

Dan

dan,
michael may be able to help here. he helped me replace all the guts of my passenger side window in my oldsmobile. You should be able to do it, it wasnt too hard.

I know squat about subaru's however I've pulled the motors and tracks from all 4 of my jeep windows. If it's anything remotely like the jeep hardware, it's a game of get the quarter through the dime slot to get the hardware in/out but it doesn't require any magic. You might have to drill out a few mounting rivets that can be replaced with self tapping screws. Remember, if they can do it, you can probably do it too.

FWIW: To replace the broken slide rack on just one door on the jeep:
Them: $80 for the plastic slide rack, $200 labor, overnight in the shop across town...and that's just for one door.
Me: 2 hours (first exploratory dissembly and cleaning) and $10.95 for the rack. Total time for all 4 is right at 4 hours including lots of cleaning and removing the door latches while I was in there. $40 and change and it was done properly.

You can do it. depends on the type of subaru. The older "Hard Top" Subarus are down right a pain in the butt to install. Pullies and cables, like inside a cessna wing.Probably less room though.
Lemme know if i can be of assistance.

Tony / Frank / Michael,

Thanks for the replies; it looks like I've got to try this. I'll keep you posted on how the adventure turns out, and will let you know if I get in over my head.

Dan

Back