power tools!

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I might actually graduate to power tools soon. to think only two years ago I bought my first ever toolkit. right now all I'm going to get is a small battery operated screwdriver - and it has to be small/slim b/c the piece in question is a tight fit - argh! I have relatively small hands and trying to do this manually wasn't happening.

woodstock said:
I might actually graduate to power tools soon. to think only two years ago I bought my first ever toolkit. right now all I'm going to get is a small battery operated screwdriver - and it has to be small/slim b/c the piece in question is a tight fit - argh! I have relatively small hands and trying to do this manually wasn't happening.
Today a battery operated screwdriver, tomorrow a BANDSAW!!

Me? I'm excited because they're building a new Lowe's Home Improvement about 5 minutes away from my house - so I don't have to drive 35 minutes to get to the power tool department!!! :D

Careful, power tools are addictive!! I bought my wife an electric screwdriver (so she would quit using the kitchen knives) now her scroll saw, router table,
etc. take up more space in the workshop than my tool collection! She takes great pleasure in pointing out that I started it.

The right tool for the right job, I say. And you can never have enough.

(Watch out, guys, she's going for the chainsaw!!!) :D

etsisk said:
Today a battery operated screwdriver, tomorrow a BANDSAW!!

Exactly. :yes:

Just make sure you start buying the power tools in the correct sequence. You first need to buy the tools that you can build the workshop with before you buy the stationary tools that go in the workshop.

<---- A simple $20 52pc emergency wrench set... now 5 (need 6) toolboxes and 500+ hand and power tools later with a long need-to-get-next list.

wsuffa said:
The right tool for the right job, I say. And you can never have enough.

(Watch out, guys, she's going for the chainsaw!!!) :D

I don't think I'll ever have a chainsaw. they scare the crap out of me. (can I say crap here?)

fgcason said:
Exactly. :yes:

Just make sure you start buying the power tools in the correct sequence. You first need to buy the tools that you can build the workshop with before you buy the stationary tools that go in the workshop.

<---- A simple $20 52pc emergency wrench set... now 5 (need 6) toolboxes and 500+ hand and power tools later with a long need-to-get-next list.

actually, so far I'm buying things in a needs based order - I need to put this bookshelf together ... now when my Dad comes down, he's got some major tools! I should post pictures of the new addition they put onto my parents' home - it's amazing, really amazing, and he did most of it himself. I think our neighbor did the tiling but otherwise it was DAD.

Last edited:
The best way to make a bookshelf is to start with a tree and carve it out with a chainsaw.

While I have never made a bookshelf this way, I have made a chair and a bench this way.....

--matt

just stay away from those air riveters, i've seen one guy ruin the engine deck on a 20 million dollar chinook trying to tighten up 3 rivets.

woodstock said:
I don't think I'll ever have a chainsaw. they scare the crap out of me. (can I say crap here?)

Just treat a chainsaw like you do a running prop and you'll be ok. At least on the chainsaw you can see where the blade is when it's running, but then again, it tends to want to jump around more than a prop does.

woodstock said:
actually, so far I'm buying things in a needs based order

Uh-huh. Now where have I heard that before? Oh yea! I said that about 500 tools ago.

Disclaimer: We're just yanking your chain real good because we know by experience that what you're messing with here is one very slippery slope and you seem to be just walking along like it's dry flat high friction pavement...

In the meantime, I'm just going to keep drooling over that 15 gallon air tank/compressor that will solve a lot of very annoying hassles...as soon as I get out of apartments... (there's another 30ish pieces for the collection)

Quote of the day: You don't have enough tools until you can start building tools with the tools you have.

woodstock said:

As long as you get a little training from a pro and remain sufficiently scared of chainsaws they can be pretty safe. Most chainsaw accidents I know of were the result of an experienced user that failed to maintain the respect that such tools require.

BTW if your looking at power screwdrivers be aware that there is a huge range in quality and you want to get one of the best or you'll be seriously disappointed. The cheap ones can't generate enough torque to sink a wood screw in soft pine and they turn so slowly you could do the job more quickly with a regular driver.

woodstock said:

You're on your way. Our daughter was known as the Al Borland of her sorority when she was in college. Quite handy with tools, and not afraid to use them. I hope her husband realizes how lucky he is (not that I'm biased or anything. Not me. :D )

My name is Petra, and I...I...sob...have lots of...wheez...power tools. It is a slippery slope, but I haven't hit bottom yet. (Haven't mastered the chainsaw. It looked like fun, but when someone handed me one once, my perspective changed. Too loud, too heavy, and it occurred to me that it would be bad, bad precedent to learn to use one.

I'll second what Carol said. Get a drill--two tools in one. Also, as mentioned, the cheapie cordless ANYTHINGS are a waste. No torque, don't hold their charge, etc.

Carol said:
My dad's got one like this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5704-6319116?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

and it will flat do the trick.

Get a heavy duty drill. It will do everything a screwdriver will do and more.

I use my corded drill instead of my battery powered screwdriver because it has more torque. Just make sure you have enough extension cord.
If you get the 18V, make sure your forearms are fairly developed if you plan on more than a few drives. That's not a particularly light drill. :D

I can't even list my inventory of tools. I had to build a 14x24 shop to get out of the garage...and I still have stuff in the garage. :rolleyes:

I'm still using an old Black and Decker electric drill that I've had for at LEAST 20 years. I think my other power tools are all over ten years old. Haven't any new ones lately, but then again, haven't been building/fixing/etc. stuff much nowadays...

welcome to power tools! :) Next think you'll need is a workshop like the one that one of our EAA members has at his farm (private airstrip, gorgeous hangar for the airplane, FULL workshop right in back--spotless. Beautiful. You feel like you're in church. Sigh. I am trying to get him to adopt me.)

terry

Back