Power supply

StanN45

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StanN45
I'm looking for a power supply for a KLX135. Any ideas? I've already checked with Bevan-Rabell and they didn't have any.

I'm looking for a power supply for a KLX135. Any ideas? I've already checked with Bevan-Rabell and they didn't have any.
v
What are you wanting to do? Operate the radio out of the airplane to learn it's operation? If you don't need to transmit you need 12-14v at 2A, transmitting requires at least 7A. Something like this:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/SWI24-12-N-P6R/SWI24-12-N-P6R-ND/5417749

Would be fine for receive only operation. You'd also need the two board edge connectors that BK used to connect the radio to a tray along a few pins.

v
What are you wanting to do? Operate the radio out of the airplane to learn it's operation? If you don't need to transmit you need 12-14v at 2A, transmitting requires at least 7A. Something like this:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/SWI24-12-N-P6R/SWI24-12-N-P6R-ND/5417749

Would be fine for receive only operation. You'd also need the two board edge connectors that BK used to connect the radio to a tray along a few pins.

7 amps, really? I thought they have like a 8w transmitter (I understand nothing about how this wattage is calculated).

7 amps, really? I thought they have like a 8w transmitter (I understand nothing about how this wattage is calculated).
You're confusing watts input to the radio with watts output from the transmitter power amp. Unlike a handheld, there's little incentive for electrical efficiency in a panel mounted navcom.

Power (watts) is the product of voltage times current. A 12/14 volt radio at 2 amps is consuming about 25 watts and at 7 amps about 90 watts (round numbers). Quite frankly, I can't imagine why an 8 watt transmitter is sucking that kind of power. The best you can do with a reasonably linear AM transmitter is 50% efficiency, but this sucker (if the 7 amps is a true number) is a little less than 10% efficient. I've done some inefficient designs in my time but nothing quite that bad.

As for a power supply, you can probably jury-rig a computer power supply around for receive-only operation.

Jim

No, the "power board" is not functioning in the radio. It's the backup radio in my plane and it's INOP.

No, the "power board" is not functioning in the radio. It's the backup radio in my plane and it's INOP.

Why not just fix it? If somebody has the schematic, troubleshooting to the component level in a power supply is pretty trivial.

Jim

Back