Power source for ipad in Remos

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
Now that I am flying the Remos more, I want to start using the ipad during flight.

Battery life is pretty good for the iPad, but I'd like to have a way to power the iPad from the airplane if necessary. There is no cigarette lighter plug in the airplane, but there is a smaller plug that looks like a cigaret lighter pluq, just smaller. It is between the seats towards the rear of the airplane on the bulkhead. It looks like it is supposed to be a power source of some type.

Anyone know what this is, if I can use it as a power source, and where I can get an adapter that will allow me to use the iPad?

Sorry, no pics. Will take some next time I am in the airplane.

Check out the external batteries from New Trent.

I have an external battery that will keep an iPad, with screen on, at full charge for a full day of flying and probably more than that. It will actually charge an iPad (or iPhone) with the screen on too.

I have cig lighter power in my Cessna but I have never really used it - I use the battery instead.

The battery I have is a bit older and can cause some minor radio noise that occasionally breaks the squelch - but only if I throw it up on the glare shield. If I keep it elsewhere it doesn't do that. I suspect the newer batteries are better about this.

A few years ago I bought a Hyper mac battery for external power for a Spidertracks unit. I never used it for that but it's been in my travel bag ever since for charging/operating my iPads and iPhones. There's no magic, more capacity will last longer. My battery will charge an iPhone 4 times or power an iPad for many hours even with GPS apps running. I've never needed more but these days aux batteries are more powerful and smaller and you'll have lots of choices. Best Buy or an Apple Store are two sources that I like. I just bought a smaller but equal size battery from my Apple Store a couple of weeks ago. Built in lightning plug, too. Handy!

One thing to look for is whether a battery comes with a 120v charger or USB. Pick the one that suits you best. 120v is bulkier but the charge rate is faster. Especially if you're using those weak USB outlets at an airport.

Here's the Hyper Mac link. Scroll down. They have lots of capacity choices.
http://www.hypershop.com/

Last edited:
I say go with the battery pack, like the Gorilla Gadgets or any of 100 similar units. $15-$40 will get a good one. Make sure it's rated to charge an iPad.
http://gorillagadgets.com/collections/portable-battery-packs

I'd just fly with the iPad and see how long the battery lasts. If it gets low, just plug-r-in. Flying with it plugged-in (needlessly) is just asking for problems. Having a cord is a hassle, and can become a problem if you you tweak the connector (I've seen a few broken). My mini will last for 3-5 hours (by itself), depending on if I shut the screen off when I don't need it.

Last edited:
but there is a smaller plug that looks like a cigaret lighter pluq, just smaller

I think you meant to say cigaret lighter socket.

If that's the case then it's probably a 'Powerlet' type socket, which is widely used in Europe.

If so, all you need is an adapter like this one.

Now that I am flying the Remos more, I want to start using the ipad during flight.

Battery life is pretty good for the iPad, but I'd like to have a way to power the iPad from the airplane if necessary. There is no cigarette lighter plug in the airplane, but there is a smaller plug that looks like a cigaret lighter pluq, just smaller. It is between the seats towards the rear of the airplane on the bulkhead. It looks like it is supposed to be a power source of some type.

Anyone know what this is, if I can use it as a power source, and where I can get an adapter that will allow me to use the iPad?

Sorry, no pics. Will take some next time I am in the airplane.
The socket between and behind the seats will accept an Apple 'cigarette lighter' charger. I have a G-3 and use it to charge my iPad, iPhone and Dual GPS. It's powered through the avionics bus, so it won't work unless the master and avionics switches are on.

Back