Power settings for PA28-181

odachoo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Odachoo
Hi Friends,
I'm starting my IFR training on a PA28-181 Archer and I need to figure out the power settings for different flight configuration. Does anyone has this chart for PA28-181 handy ?

Hi Friends,
I'm starting my IFR training on a PA28-181 Archer and I need to figure out the power settings for different flight configuration. Does anyone has this chart for PA28-181 handy ?

While getting someone else's numbers is a good start, this is important enough to do on your own. Each aircraft flies a bit different so someone else's numbers might not be correct for your aircraft...

Get out your word processor and replicate this chart with some blank spots. Then grab a helpful passenger and go fly these configurations, asking them to write down the numbers that achieves a stable state for the desired configuration. You do the flying, they do the writing.

----------- CLIMB ---- CRUISE CLIMB -- CRUISE -- CRUISE DESC -- APPR.LEVEL -- APPR.DESC
Attitude.....____°.........____°........____°.....____°...........____°........____°
Power........____RPM.......____RPM......____RPM...____RPM.........____RPM......____RPM
VSI..........____FPM.......____FPM......____FPM...____FPM.........____FPM......____FPM
Airspeed.....____KIAS......____KIAS.....____KIAS..____KIAS........____KIAS.....____KIAS

Once you have this, and practice, you'll be very impressed that when you fly your plane by these numbers, you will achieve the desired condition (such as 500fpm climb or descent) every time.

Attachments

• IFR PERFORMANCE SETTINGS.pdf
    118.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Mike's method works pretty good - I've been the "dude with the pencil" for a few folks. And you get a RIDE :)

BTW Mike - got the book - VERY helpful!

I would agree with Mike ,especially if it's your airplane. When you do the numbers you get the experience of the feel of the airplane at different settings.

Let me know when you need a scribe - pretty sure I can find VNY. Hope so as "we" own it :)

I just through of one line to add to my chart -- flap conditions.

This will add a reminder, plus having them deployed versus retracted may change some of the numbers

Hi Friends,

Send me an email over the weekend and I will send you what I have based on my training in a Pa28-181.

I took my chart and made up something in MS Word.

Permission given freely to use as shown or butcher it to your own needs.

Let me know when you need a scribe - pretty sure I can find VNY. Hope so as "we" own it :)

Isn't Vny the published speed you move through the bad neighborhoods of the Bronx or Queens?

its actually alot simplier than this -

Take off - WOT

Cruise - WOT and lean to max green rom.

descent - throttle back to whatever speed you want - either descent in fpm or GS in knots.

pattern - about 1700-1800 rpm

Why make it complicated? Its not a turbine with ePr and temp limits you can reach . . .

Why make it complicated? Its not a turbine with ePr and temp limits you can reach . . .
This.

Aggie Mike has a good method, but if you are just flying this airplane for the IFR training and you don't own it (which is how I read the OP), I think it is kind of overkill.

Keep it simple - figure out what rough RPM will give you the approach speed you are looking for and stick with it, fine tuning along the way.

I never look at the tach except to see if I need to pull the carb heat, and to make sure I'm not overspeeding the engine in level flight or a descent. Other than that I just listen and put the throttle where I feel it needs to be.

It doesn't take 10 minute in the air to fill out the sheet, and have it for reference. (Of course several of the settings don't apply) It will be committed to memory soon enough in an archer.

Back