Power-on stalls - confidence zero, can't feel them or hear horn

Get your head outside more. You can easily tell what the airplane is doing.
Biggest problem I see with new pilots. They refuse to look outside. I think some of it comes from too much time on home simulators. Your scan should be 100% outside doing stalls.

With no awareness of the ball? I’ve been flying a long time and I still glance at the ball during slow flight and departure stalls. More planes should have inclinometers up high in the panel or on the glare screen.

With no awareness of the ball? I’ve been flying a long time and I still glance at the ball during slow flight and departure stalls. More planes should have inclinometers up high in the panel or on the glare screen.
I was flying in the front seat of a friend's J-3 Cub, and having problems with adverse yaw. He saw me looking around the panel and asked me what I was doing.

"Looking for the ball," I said.

"The ball is in your ass!"

On the way back to the airfield, for educational purposes and as I'm a curious type he demonstrated more advanced things (he's a test pilot in the week) such as how stalls are connected to the angle of attack rather than airspeed i.e. it's possible to stall at speed if you get it very wrong....
My second lesson (a week ago) the CFI drilled that angle-of-attack-stall at speed thing into my head and to never get sloppy with uncoordinated flight; rudder discipline. I'd never saw speed stalls it in all my flight sim "experience" but it makes sense and glad both our CFIs brought it up. As for coordinated flight, centering the ball without having to look at it is also atop my muscle-memory-master-it list. Keep it up, topdog!

My second lesson (a week ago) the CFI drilled that angle-of-attack-stall at speed thing into my head and to never get sloppy with uncoordinated flight; rudder discipline. I'd never saw speed stalls it in all my flight sim "experience" but it makes sense and glad both our CFIs brought it up. As for coordinated flight, centering the ball without having to look at it is also atop my muscle-memory-master-it list. Keep it up, topdog!
Since this post is from 2015, I doubt he gives a flip.

Since this post is from 2015, I doubt he gives a flip.
Incorrect doubt; indeed my OP was from 2015 but then I came back to the thread to update on the situation because it's so unusual to come back to a new hobby after this time, and all constructive input is gratefully received.

The other thing is of course to let your instructor do it a couple times just to experience it. I despise doing power on stalls and could never get my Cherokee to break, even with reduced power and full nose up trim. Just didn't seem to have the elevator authority.
I don't think I've successfully done a power on stall in my Cherokee, and belive me I've tried lol.

On the main note, can you feel a power off stall versus the power on? My only thought on this is if your inner ear (the part responsible for balance awareness along with other stuff) isn't working well/damaged, if you seriously can't feel the break or drops, that might be a reason. Also yes, look outside. You are flying vfr, not ifr. Just my thoughts

Many cockpits are unbelievably un-user friendly, and this is reinforced by the “you’re not a real pilot unless …” crowd.

Though I’ve done full power stalls later, my checkride was in a 162, which has a loud and useful horn. And we didn’t use full power on since in that airplane you’d exceed 30 degrees of pitch. You’d need parachutes to meet regulations. Even at reduced power you can’t see jack.

I got comfortable with them in the 162 which is designed not to spin and has the loud horn. Then when I got checked out in a 150 I was shocked when it dropped a wing in the blink of an eye. Bottom line - it teaches you to be super aware on initial climb and the crosswind turn.

Back