Powder Coating

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Has anyone here use powder coating on exhaust? If so, what were the results? I am thinking of having the exhaust on the Challenger done in a High Temp powder coating, but it is only good to 1000 degrees.

It won't work, It'll burn right off in short order and look terrible. I had the exhaust ( Rotax 503 dc) on my autogyro ceramichromed, and it is awesome!! Looks like a mirror, and has stayed perfect for over 3 yrs now.

OOPS! Maybe ceramichrome IS a high-temp powder coat? I used normal flat-black first, and it didn't hold . But the ceramichrome is perfect.

Many of the snowmobile guys have had hightemp ceramic powdercoating applied to their exhaust. It looks fantastic, and holds up very well.

Paint, any paint, is gone quickly.

Go to any of the larger snowmobile forums, and do a search for exhaust powdercoating and you have piles of info to read through.

Beware, there is much chaff to wade through on snowmobile forums for a few grains of wheat.

tim

Has anyone here use powder coating on exhaust? If so, what were the results? I am thinking of having the exhaust on the Challenger done in a High Temp powder coating, but it is only good to 1000 degrees.

The header on my truck is Jet-Hot coated. Been 5yrs and still looks good.
Don't know what the material is.

I used Jet Hot coating on a experimental (twice) didn't last more than a year each time with rust spots showing through. Maybe just a bad application, the header paint works just as good.
Dave

I am running Sanderson headers on my experimental. They came factory coated with their ceramic coating and three years and several hundred hours later they still look good in 90% of the surface. The area that has lost its coating is in the collectors. I do run my motor real hard on takeoff and my egt probe is mounted there. My temps are in the 1650+ range,,, probably the reason the coating is not holding up there... I have not heard of any type of standard powercoating that will take heat over 1000 degrees.

YMMV.
Ben

Back