POV T-72 Target.

In your opinion is the video real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No Joy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
No Joy
Could be a little bit of both. A real video that's been shopped a little.

Shopped a lot, the shell flying was obviously a digitized image, there is no camera gear with a focal system that works that fast, especially on that long of an objective, plus it never changed focal range the whole time.

I was a tank gunner for the Israeli Army for three years and have shot my fair share of tank shells.

That was most DEFINITELY NOT a tank shell. The "shell" actually looked more like a "TOW" anti-tank missile than a tank shell and was flying at the approximate speed of a "TOW" like missile as well.

A tank shell would be MUCH faster than that.

Then again, they COULD be demonstrating firing an Anti-Tank missile from the cannon itself, something the newer generation of tanks with smooth bore cannons (like the T-72) can do...

I was a tank gunner for the Israeli Army for three years and have shot my fair share of tank shells.

That was most DEFINITELY NOT a tank shell. The "shell" actually looked more like a "TOW" anti-tank missile than a tank shell and was flying at the approximate speed of a "TOW" like missile as well.

A tank shell would be MUCH faster than that.

Then again, they COULD be demonstrating firing an Anti-Tank missile from the cannon itself, something the newer generation of tanks with smooth bore cannons (like the T-72) can do...

The shell in question was finned, which I believe the T64+ tanks fired. That said I find it hard to believe the frame rate of the video cam is quick enough to catch still shots of a tank projectile.

The shell in question was finned, which I believe the T64+ tanks fired. That said I find it hard to believe the frame rate of the video cam is quick enough to catch still shots of a tank projectile.

I wasn't familiar with how the T-72 HEAT shell looked like in flight. (To be honest, I never wanted to see one in flight, that would normally mean a bad thing was about to happen!) But after searching online I think that the shell in question could have been this one:

tank6.jpg

The Israeli equivalent works the same way but has significantly smaller fins...

I still think that this was either edited OR the camera is MUCH farther away than it looks like in the video and we cant accurately use our depth perception.

I wasn't familiar with how the T-72 HEAT shell looked like in flight. (To be honest, I never wanted to see one in flight, that would normally mean a bad thing was about to happen!) But after searching online I think that the shell in question could have been this one:

tank6.jpg

The Israeli equivalent works the same way but has significantly smaller fins...

I still think that this was either edited OR the camera is MUCH farther away than it looks like in the video and we cant accurately use our depth perception.
Thanks for your post. Enlightening. I was leaning toward fake, but now I'm leaning towards real.

If it's real. I suspect it is fixed focus at significant range. I suspect the camera was unmanned, and that there may have been a decoy near the camera location.

Apparently fires at 5900 fps. Nuts.

This particular shell (3BK14 so sayeth the Internet) leaves the barrel at just under 3000 feet per second.

And since the flight lasts about 1.5 seconds our noble cameraman would have had to have been almost a mile away.

Back