Pottstown PA Fly In Breakfast

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
51st Fly In Breakfast is this Sunday the 11th at KPTW and Ron, I promise, no parking or ramp fees.

Avgas is going to be sold at a reduced price. Breakfast is cheap at $5 for adults and $3 for kids.

I'll either be directing planes to parking spots or keeping on lookers off the taxi way while talking about aviation (hopefully the second as I love to talk).

I'll probably be wearing my bright green Maule baseball cap as I ran over my well loved and worn red Maule baseball cap with the lawnmower (I truly am a klutz, I really don't know how I ever learned to fly). I don't really like the color green but it is the only aviation related baseball cap I own.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
51st Fly In Breakfast is this Sunday the 11th at KPTW and Ron, I promise, no parking or ramp fees.

Avgas is going to be sold at a reduced price. Breakfast is cheap at $5 for adults and $3 for kids.

I'll either be directing planes to parking spots or keeping on lookers off the taxi way while talking about aviation (hopefully the second as I love to talk).

I'll probably be wearing my bright green Maule baseball cap as I ran over my well loved and worn red Maule baseball cap with the lawnmower (I truly am a klutz, I really don't know how I ever learned to fly). I don't really like the color green but it is the only aviation related baseball cap I own.

Len

You know - someday, just someday, I'm going to have to come up there for that. I love pancakes, and I love flying. Seems it would be the perfect combo.

NickDBrennan said:
You know - someday, just someday,

Nick,

Rather long ride from New Mexico just for some breakfast. If you do come be sure to stop by the place where the anouncer stands and tell them where you flew in from. They have never given out an award for the person who made the longest flight but that could change you might even get some extra pancakes.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Nick,

Rather long ride from New Mexico just for some breakfast. If you do come be sure to stop by the place where the anouncer stands and tell them where you flew in from. They have never given out an award for the person who made the longest flight but that could change you might even get some extra pancakes.

Len
In order for me to make it, I'd have to leave at like 11 the night before or so. It is going to happen tho. I can taste pancakes already :)

NickDBrennan said:
In order for me to make it, I'd have to leave at like 11 the night before or so. It is going to happen tho. I can taste pancakes already :)

Working in a call center you aren't all that rich. We can help cut your expenses if you'd like. We live 10 minutes from the airport, and will put you up Saturday, Sunday & Monday if you'd like. We have church obligations and lunch with our Pastor Sunday, so you'll be on your own for the picnic. But we'll loan you one of our cars so you can get around, and you'll certainly have plenty of company at the picnic. It's a good crowd, lots of cool planes. Cathy and I are still discussing whether or not we want to miss the music service, go to breakfast, and head to church in time for the sermon.

And don't make fun of the Sugar Hill Gang.

Joe Williams said:
Working in a call center you aren't all that rich. We can help cut your expenses if you'd like. We live 10 minutes from the airport, and will put you up Saturday, Sunday & Monday if you'd like. We have church obligations and lunch with our Pastor Sunday, so you'll be on your own for the picnic. But we'll loan you one of our cars so you can get around, and you'll certainly have plenty of company at the picnic. It's a good crowd, lots of cool planes. Cathy and I are still discussing whether or not we want to miss the music service, go to breakfast, and head to church in time for the sermon.

And don't make fun of the Sugar Hill Gang.

It wouldn't be this weekend. I wish it could! Thank you for the offer tho. I really appeciate it! If its open, I may take you up on it when I decide to go tho!

I love the Sugar Hill Gang. In fact, so far all of the lyrics I've posted are among my favorite 80s rap songs. They just have some lyrics that 20 years later don't make a whole lot of sense :)

Edit: I just realized that I was confusing Pottstown with Greenville, MI. Either way, I wanna fly somewhere far for some pancakes! Someday.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
It wouldn't be this weekend. I wish it could! Thank you for the offer tho. I really appeciate it! If its open, I may take you up on it when I decide to go tho!

ND is closer than PA Nick! Come out out to Northwood (4V4, my favorite practice-landing airport since I don't have to worry about dealing with any FedEx 737s or Mesaba airliners there like I do at GFK) in October for some buffalo burgers and see our new crop circle formation. You missed the fabulous pancake breakfasts we had at Grafton (April) and Northwood(July, the claim to be the BEST fly in breakfast on the Plains) but there are and will be others.

I feel so cut off from everyone. :( Gotta...get...the...training...done... (whew, that was hard) so I can cut loose and visit some of you guys on my own instead of plotting how I could coerce my instructor to combine a lesson with a trip to a fly-in or airshow like I have been doing.

terry

NickDBrennan said:

I love the Sugar Hill Gang. In fact, so far all of the lyrics I've posted are among my favorite 80s rap songs. They just have some lyrics that 20 years later don't make a whole lot of sense :)

Edit: I just realized that I was confusing Pottstown with Greenville, MI. Either way, I wanna fly somewhere far for some pancakes! Someday.

Well, this would certainly qualify as far... I think you'd beat EdFred's record for a hamburger run!! A route to get you around the weather, as of today, would take two 3.5 hr legs, a 3 hr leg, and a final 2.5 hr leg in a Skyhawk SP. You'd sure be hungry when you got here LOL.

Let me know if you are ever headed this way. Our door is open :)

Ron Levy said:
Maybe I can do breakfast in Pottstown and lunch at Easton PA.

I think we start serving at 8am this year and Pottstown is pretty much on the way for you.

Len

After further review, Duke and I have decided that the PTW breakfast sounds like something we can't miss. See you there!

What a nice turn out !!!

I hope you didn't wait to long Ron, the line for eats really backed up quick. I had a chance to meet Len and Ed, although to busy listening to Ed to properly intro myself. Mary and I checked out all the aircraft and she really like the green and white cardinal on the back row, thought the Pitts pair that came in were really hot and was amazed at the Beechcraft (big red)with that big ol' radial hanging off the front. She kept calling it the "monster" :D

She is really getting hooked. She thought everyone was friendly and on the way out she said maybe next year we will fly in. I hope my rudder pushin' brick for feet heard that comment. As we fired up the 81 vette for our ride home she asked if I could part with the "toy" to use as additional cash for a down payment on a plane. I really didnt answer, but, I think she knows I'll sell to purchase the right aircraft. I just thought it was funny hearing Mary talk about buying a plane. I guess thats half the battle having the bride on board.

Had fun.....and it was nice to meet you and your family Len.

Duke and I got there about 11, and the line was quite short. The breakfast was hot, fresh, and tasty. Len was, as usual, the consummate host, and found a nice container for water for Duke (I forgot to bring the one I have in the hangar), who I think was the hit of the show -- must've been 100 kids who came up and asked to pet him. Many folks were quite taken with the idea of a dog who flies, and his head hanging out as we taxied in (love that sliding canopy) got a big crowd reaction.

On another note, folks gotta be smarter than the proverbial box'o'rocks when attending these things. The FAA had a table out in the middle of the show, complete with the big FAA banner and two guys with their gold FAA badges hanging out. So it's not exactly a stealth presence. Sure enough, two morons in Pitts Specials take off in formation and do simultaneous rolls on takeoff about 2/3 the way down the runway at less than 100 AGL. Needless to say, the FAA guys saw it.:( Next thing, the PA announcer is reminding folks that the FAA is there and watching and everyone would be real smart not to do anything other than a plain vanilla takeoff and climbout. Talk about having to say what shouldn't need to be said.:dunno:

GMascelli said:
although to busy listening to Ed to properly intro myself.

Gary, my apologies. You obviously were right there when Dave Gaiskey, Tim Sprinkle, and I were talking to Len. Where were you standing so I can work over my memory and try to come up with a face.

Ed,
:) No apology needed......We were right next to you, I was in the blue and white stripe shirt and Mary was right next to me. It was nice to put faces with all the posts we read.

Ron,
Sorry to have missed Duke. We are animal people all the way and have wondered how maggie our Italian Mastif will do when we are flying (someday soon).

Ed Guthrie said:
Gary, my apologies. You obviously were right there when Dave Gaiskey, Tim Sprinkle, and I were talking to Len. Where were you standing so I can work over my memory and try to come up with a face.

Ed:

Perhaps you are getting your Gary's confused?!! Seems as though there were two of us there, guess we were both in the same area when Len was doing his traffic duties. I'm the taller one from UKT!! (maybe better looking, need to confirm this! :D )

Len: As usual, great fly-in, breakfast was hearty and the weather terrific! Sorry we missed Ron, but we went over to the Easton fly-in to see what was going on there. They had a similar number of planes, but the drive-in crowd is much less. They did have a good exhibit of Light Sport planes, that was pretty cool, I did like the Kappa.

Gary (the UKT one!)

NickDBrennan said:

If you make your long distance pancakes in MI, I'll offer to host. You'd still have a bit of a flight to Greenville or wherever as I'm near Mettatal (1D2). But may I suggest Sandusky. I didn't make it to Greenville but at Sandusky after you got you pancakes, saussage and hash browns... they asked you how you liked your eggs! These guys sure put on a good breakfast... so good that as long as the weather lets me I'll be going to their Oct. 1 Soup fly in with homemade bread and pies! Yum!

Melissa

Ed,

And my apologies for not recognizing you right away (my duh!) :<)

Sorry we all couldn't talk more. About mid morning is when all the folks that came early start to leave and a bunch of folks are still getting to the fly in. That side of taxiway Charlie gets a little busy.

Glad you and your gang could make it.

Karen (wife) was saying that doing the little fly in we had last year wasn't that hard so maybe we will try to get a mini fly in scheduled before it gets too much colder. I will attempt to post details with advance notice so folks can schedule.

Len

Ron,

Thanks for the kind words.

I was just getting "off duty" to eat breakfast as I saw Duke in the back seat of your Grumman so things worked out well.

As a side note, my friend from work, Bob - who you met, took his kids up for helicopter rides. Later I let Bob the kids sit in the Mooney...I may have hooked someone to at least take a few lessons.

Len

GMascelli said:
Had fun.....and it was nice to meet you and your family Len.

Gary,

Good to meet you and your wife. Glad to hear that she is interested in flying as well.

Len

Gary said:
Len: As usual, great fly-in, breakfast was hearty and the weather terrific! Sorry we missed Ron, but we went over to the Easton fly-in to see what was going on there. They had a similar number of planes, but the drive-in crowd is much less. They did have a good exhibit of Light Sport planes, that was pretty cool, I did like the Kappa.

Gary (the UKT one!)

Gary,

Thanks. I heard some of the early returns...between 980 and 990 paying breakfasts...a lot fewer aircraft than in prior years though we did not get a count of aircraft that was just based on how many parking spots we used.

Len

Gary said:
Ed:

Perhaps you are getting your Gary's confused?!!

No, I remember talking to you (you were standing on my right or right/front), but I will admit that I started wondering if my Rev. Jim memory was going flake when "Gary's" last name started morphing...

Sorry I missed this one. Saturday was my aviation day with attendance at the Wings Field Vintage Aircraft show. Which was the Best Ever. You can see some of these plane in books and avitars, but boy to see them in person is awesome. I counted no less than 4 beautiful 170s, 3 T-34s, one Luscomb ( which I learned required carb heat on take off) 1 Stearman, 1 T-24 let me tell you about that HUGE radial engine, this plane was huge. burns 50 gal per hours. I saw a Gypsie Moth so beautiful restored.( I thought I'd have a stroke when some guy let his kid walk off the wing walk onto the fabric my heart almost stopped. I saw a beautiful Stearman and a drop dead gorgeous absolutely mint Beech Stagger Wing, I had to wipe off the drool There was a great 195 that made me think of Greg Bockleman, Saw a bunch of neat grumans, an albatross a kachina, Tri Pacer They also had an L-49 wow is that fast.
Before the show started I checked the AWOS determined the Arrival runway and 1.5 hours before the show started planted myself by the road at about 1/4 mile final to 24 turned on my Sporty's Transceiver and they all landed right over me. I felt as if I could reach out and touch them. The Citabras and Decathlons flew such tight patters I swore they were flying sideways. The best was when the L-49 announced on CTAF he was flying the pattern at 150Kts and requested cooperation. On a 4 mile final he dropped WAY low turned the smoke on and Did a high speed low approach, talk about getting juiced up WOW! To think folks complain about living near an airport. I'm lucky I do. Left me enough time to watch the landings go home shower go to a Bar Mitzvah, come home meet Arnold go to the show and have lunch. Love Living near an Airport yes I do! However my wife felt that two days with airplanes would somehow interfere with cleaning the garage so no breakfast at PTW. Go figure!

Hey, did you guys get any pictures of people and their airplanes? Sounds like you had fun, even if you didn't always know who was who. :)

flybill7 said:
Here are my pics from the breakfast. Great pancake breakfast!

http://www.aircobratech.com/Bill/Fly-Ins/Pottstown_11Sep05/Pottstown_11Sep05.html

... Bill
Great pictures Bill, thanks for posting them. You sure have a pretty Citabria! :yes:

I see the caption where you are parked at Massey includes this: "My landing at Massey from the back seat wasn't the best one I've ever made." Was that why your dad was smiling? ;)

I think it's wonderful that you and your dad fly together.

Bill,

Great pictures. I heard someone say that they thought the red plane with the itty bitty tail is a Falco. On the URLs below there is a link to a fellow by the name of Tim Dreager...he puts together the PAOP website...he would love to add your pictures to that site.

First 8 pictures from the top of the page at the link below are of this years fly in.

http://www.paop.org/pics05.htm

I'm in the seventh picture from the top...the picture where everyone is wearing a neon green shirt. I'm the guy with the green baseball cap standing in the middle (I don't even like green).

Pictures of other PAOP events in 2005 are on the same page.

Pictures from other years can be found via this link.

http://www.paop.org/pics.html

Len

Diana said:
"My landing at Massey from the back seat wasn't the best one I've ever made." Was that why your dad was smiling? ;)

I think he was smiling because he was so happy to be on the ground safe and sound! No, actually, he was smiling because he was having a fun day.

... Bill

Bill Jennings said:
Are you going to keep the Citabria once you're done building? BTW, what is a cleco, I've seen that mentioned many times in building Rv's, etc. Is it some type of clamp?

Hi Bill,

Regretfully I'll have to sell the Citabria once the RV is flying to help payoff the loan. As good an all-around plane as the RV is, I think I'm really going to miss the Citabria because I love flying low and slow. I'm hoping to do a long trip in the Citabria from east to west coast along the Oregon Trail and back before I sell it though.

I didn't know what a cleco was when I started the project. Basically, it's a little device with a spring in it. They're used to hold parts together so you can drill them, and the holes line up. You squeeze the cleco with special cleco-pliers to relax the spring, insert the tip through a hole in two pieces of metal, then release the pliers, the spring extends, and the two pieces of material are secured together.

... Bill

Len Lanetti said:
On the URLs below there is a link to a fellow by the name of Tim Dreager...he puts together the PAOP website...he would love to add your pictures to that site.

Hi Len,

Tim is welcome to my pictures. I can get his email address from the web page, I'll send him my shots.

... Bill

Bill-

NICE photo, it looks remarkably like the view in my rear-view mirror one perfect spring day...................................

Tom-

I gotta tell you, those pictures make me a little home sick. The weather looks perfect, what a great day. :)

I miss the flight I use to take all the way form Pottstown Muni (N47) over to Pottstown Limerick (PTW) for those pancake breakfasts.

Anthony said:
I gotta tell you, those pictures make me a little home sick. The weather looks perfect, what a great day.

Anthony,

It was a great day. I was initially surprised that we did not get as many aircraft as the year before. No one thought to make a count of aircraft but I know the numbers were down significantly because we did not have to pack the aircraft as tightly for parking.

Len

Back