Pottstown, PA floods

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
One of my partners and I flew our R22 over Pottstown this morning. John did the flying so I could get the pictures. The flooding was not as widespread as I thought, but the river crested last night and appears to be down a foot or two from crest. For those who know the area, we flew west along the river from the Limerick power plant up to Rt. 100, and the pictures are in that order. They were taken between 600 and 1000 agl.

Attachments

• 0323.jpg
    0323.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 0331.jpg
    0331.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 0340.jpg
    0340.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 0341.jpg
    0341.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 0343.jpg
    0343.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 20
  • 0345p.jpg
    0345p.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 0346.jpg
    0346.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 0350.jpg
    0350.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
ug on the pics
how'd you get so close to the power plant? ( i keep hearing "no loitering near power plants, dams, or refineries" on an infinite loop in my head)

tonycondon said:
how'd you get so close to the power plant? ( i keep hearing "no loitering near power plants, dams, or refineries" on an infinite loop in my head)

Like it says, just don't loiter. V333 north of GQO takes you right over the cooling towers of Sequoyah Nuclear Power Plant. BTDT, many times.

Bob,
I'm supposed to be riding a freight train from Phila to Pittsburg next week, we are instrumenting a wind turbine being shipped for shock and vibration. Did you see anything to make you believe the tracks were underwater or bridges could be suspect alongh that corridor?
Just curious.

Keith

tonycondon said:
ug on the pics

Tony,

The extended centerline of the runway at KPTW (Pottstown Limerick PA airport) passes a stones throw from that nuke plant. An intrastate highway, separates (barely) the airport from the plant.

Len

ah i see. was just curious, not condescending or accusing.

tonycondon said:
ug on the pics
Tony, I fly by it all the time. I don't fly directly over it, nor will I orbit it (which would certainly mean loitering). I've never heard a complaint nor had a fighter swoop down on me :D

Keith Lane said:
Bob,
I'm supposed to be riding a freight train from Phila to Pittsburg next week, we are instrumenting a wind turbine being shipped for shock and vibration. Did you see anything to make you believe the tracks were underwater or bridges could be suspect alongh that corridor?
Just curious.

Keith
I only saw roads under water, but I didn't have time to fly the whole length of the river -- other spots were, I believe, more severly floodsed.

Keith Lane said:
Bob,
Just curious.

Keith

Keith,

When will you be in Pittsburgh? I may be down there on business the latter half of the week.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Keith,

When will you be in Pittsburgh? I may be down there on business the latter half of the week.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Ooooh, That info will be withheld from me until the last possible second.
Me 'good" boss has left the company, and the president (AKA Captain Chaos) rules again. I'm positive he hasn't even heard there's rain in PA yet.
I don't have a location, contact, work plan, drawing, nada.
all I know is the customer wants GPS, 30 accelerometers, 5khz sample rate, continuous sampling from Philly to Pitt.
Hey, why tell me anything.
/rant

Wow, thanks for the pics Bob. I used to be based at Pottstown Muni, N47. I bet my old hangar got flooded. We haven't had rain out here for three months.

Keith: A lot of the RR tracks are under water I can't tell you which ones and what lines but I have seen them along the schuylkill River washed over.

Back