POTS

U

Unregistered

Just a bit of a question/health profile for the Doc or anyone familiar.

I'm pretty sure I have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), and was wondering how that might affect my ability to retain/renew my first class medical?

I became concerned when I was having trouble sleeping, sweating when the temp in my home was 68 degrees, sometimes a bit of excessive nervousness, some days seemingly for no reason I struggle with fatigue and I would have a hard time keeping my mind focused, finally I have a pretty good hand tremor most of the time.

I consider myself to be in pretty decent shape, I lift weights 3-4 times a week (only take protein supplement, nothing weird or exotic), try to go for a 3 mile run twice a week, and before Christmas I had been substituting short sided soccer for 3 hours straight on two nights a week. Also I'm usually pretty picky about eating healthy, detest most fast food, only big vice would be red meat. Non-drinker anymore, although I used to in college. I'm also extremely sensitive to alcohol, more than two beers and the next day my heart is pounding and hands shaking pretty bad.

After becoming concerned I started to monitor my heart rate with a pulse oxymeter (spelling?) over a period just short of two months. In the morning, after sitting or lying down for awhile my heart is usually in the 45-55 bpm range. However if I transition to standing it jumps right up to the 100-115 range. Another thing I've always noticed in my sports or running attempts is that I struggle to maintain a certain pace for long periods, but excel at short bursts and short recovery periods. I started to monitor this on a treadmill and I can sustain a sprint and my heart jumps into the high range 180+, but comes back down really quickly if I stop completely or slow walk. Anything you would consider 'fast jogging' and my heart still eventually builds up to the 180+ range every time. The speed just seems to control the pace at which my heart speeds up to that range. Not sure if that's related in any manner but just trying to get anything out that might help.

Not wanting to go to my doctor to specifically look for a heart condition (fearing for my medical). I did a 'wellness blood screen' that looked for anything abnormal and also my thyroid levels. They were all in the normal range and I did an ekg at the hospital and found nothing irregular. It was sitting down and I did a bit of one jogging in place/doing jumping jacks and my heart did its normal thing jumping up into the 160 range and the doctor said it seemed I was out of shape.

I've given all this information to several friends in the medical community who all seemed to conclude POTS and told me that they believe there is medication if I were to go and get diagnosed officially with that, but I don't seem to have the major symptoms related to it. I don't pass out when I stand up or anything like that. I do sometimes get dizzy if I have been laying down and jump up quickly, but nothing from sitting position or when I've been standing. I was wondering if you agree or if there's something these others might have missed?

So far I've been advised to increase my salt intake as much as possible, which I've done but probably not enough as I don't really like to eat overly salty things. And the health stigma I've always had about eating too much salt.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide.

What is your hemoglobin A1c? Diabetic disautonomia frequently begins well before it's noticed, and before this condition is found.....especially since you hint that this is acquired in mid-life....:(

What is your hemoglobin A1c? Diabetic disautonomia frequently begins well before it's noticed, and before this condition is found.....especially since you hint that this is acquired in mid-life....:(

You also have one of the most maint intensive, systems loaded light twins there is and come in at $250hr. It really isn't all that damned bad owning a twin.

Oh, BTW, during your course of ownership, how much money have you spent on keeping your autopilot working?

LOL! Reminds me of the "Freudian Slip" joke my Dad likes to tell.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back