Potomac TRACON Tour

HerrGruyere

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Pistol Pete
I was just at the seminar regarding the tower at FDK opening soon. One of the speakers from Potomac TRACON mentioned the next "open house," so to speak, was to be on May ...5th? Does anybody know anything about this and how to get "on the list" so I could maybe go? I'm scheduled to fly that day, but if the weather is lousy, I think a trip to TRACON would be sweet.

Didn't see you there! I heard of the tour prior to the seminar and I was looking for the same thing. I was told before it was an open house but from what I've seen it is a list. Last time I toured an ATC facility was with a CAP group and a hookup.

Please keep us apprised if you find out!

You might want to check the archives of the mailing list DCPILOTS on Yahoo

Post message: dcpilots@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: dcpilots-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: dcpilots-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Contact list owner: dcpilots-owner@yahoogroups.com
Vacation mode: dcpilots-nomail@yahoogroups.com
Normal mode: dcpilots-normal@yahoogroups.com
Daily digest: dcpilots-digest@yahoogroups.com
URL to this page: http://www.dcpilots.net

but I seem to recall a thread a couple of weeks ago and the upshot was they have a list and it fills up very quickly.

I figured there was a list. I'm attending ground school at the Community College of Baltimore County, and the ATC group is also organizing (or has organized) a tour of TRACON. They do it every year, I believe.

Naturally, I'll keep y'all posted if I find any news on a possible tour. It would be saweeeeeet to see the inside of a facility like this.

You used to be able to just call ahead and get a tour of ARTCC. I dragged each and every one of my instrument students through Miami Center. I don't think you can do it anymore since 9/11. Shame.

I have been to Potomac Tracon since 9/11. I got to see the guy whose job it was to watch VFR targets in the SFRA there as well. ZDC's tour was a real hoot back in the day. We each got to spend the better part of an hour plugged in at some sector. It was an evening with thunderstorms passing through the NE, and it was cool watching the controller managing the traffic flows through that.

Man, it really sucks that you can't tour stuff like this as easily any longer. It really is a shame.

Also, still no information yet!

The TRACON tours get listed at faasafety.gov, but they fill up ridiculously fast. So if you haven't joined, go do so now. They typically do tours two or three times a year.

The other day I received an email through the FAAST system announcing a tracon tour.

5/5/2012
10:00 AM
EA2343838

Potomac TRACON Operation Rain Check AM Session (10AM-12PM)
Briefing of ATC Ops, Tour of ATC Facility;...

5/5/2012
1:00 PM
EA2343840

Potomac TRACON Operation Rain Check PM Session (1PM-3PM)
Briefing of ATC Ops, Tour of ATC Facility;...
Potomac TRACON is pleased to announce the Spring 2012 session of Operation Rain Check. Attend a briefing...

It looks like both sessions are booked up at this time. It requires prior sign-up through the FAAST website using pilot credentials. Also, all visitors have to be US citizens and provide photo ID etc.

but I seem to recall a thread a couple of weeks ago and the upshot was they have a list and it fills up very quickly.
They have to do security screening on TRACON tours, so you must sign up in advance and show up with photo ID. If you can't get in there, there's plenty of room at the MDRFF, and there's no sign-up, security screening, or US citizenship required.
http://www.mdrff.org

Last edited:
If I'm not flying that day, I'll head out there. Also, I think I'll sign up for/become a member of FAAST so that I can get in on one of these TRACON tours!

If I'm not flying that day, I'll head out there. Also, I think I'll sign up for/become a member of FAAST so that I can get in on one of these TRACON tours!

The FAAST website states that they can't accomodate walkups. Doesn't hurt to contact the person listed there.

If you sign up for FAAST as a student pilot, I believe you have to call them as the web interface doesn't have access to the student pilot certificate database (as that is part of medical, not certificates).

The FAAST website states that they can't accomodate walkups. Doesn't hurt to contact the person listed there.

If you sign up for FAAST as a student pilot, I believe you have to call them as the web interface doesn't have access to the student pilot certificate database (as that is part of medical, not certificates).

I'll check but I don't think this is true any more. I don't believe one has to have a pilot certificate to join faasafety.gov, though one might to enroll in the pilot proficiency program.

I was just at the seminar regarding the tower at FDK opening soon. One of the speakers from Potomac TRACON mentioned the next "open house," so to speak, was to be on May ...5th? Does anybody know anything about this and how to get "on the list" so I could maybe go? I'm scheduled to fly that day, but if the weather is lousy, I think a trip to TRACON would be sweet.

Anything interesting come out of that seminar? I wanted to go but couldn't.

I am a member on faasafety.gov and am a student.

The seminar was basically a review of how to talk to ATC, new procedures for IFR pilots, possible traffic pattern changes for those in the pattern, why you shouldn't cross runway lines, taxiway hotspots on taxiway intersections A/B and A/D, and the importance of expediting your exit from the active after landing.

Bunch of free swag, though!

The "no walk-ups" is about security, not pilot certificates. They gave to run a check on everyone they let in the building, and that takes a couple of days advanced notice.

IIRC I joined as a student.

You dont have to be a pilot to join the website, in order for things to be credited towards your hours, you have to enter a certificate number. If you enter a regular certificate, the website automatically verifies it and comes back with your ratings etc. Back when I enrolled, it wouldn't do that with a student certificate number as it is a different database, a phonecall fixed that.

Perhaps I'll login and see if I updated my information. I do get the WINGS notification of my credits if that's what you mean.

Back