Potential Partnership

AcroGimp

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AcroGimp
My consulting that I do on the side has been going OK this year and looks good for next year, so I am about to pull the trigger on something stupid, but very cool. Stupid because the time is 'never right' for something like this in purely rational terms, but I am not getting any younger - planning to try and get it done by my 45th birthday which is in 7 weeks. 50% partnership, 1987 Yak-52 in great shape.

It's a bit of a stretch goal since I have sworn off using credit of any kind but I ran the numbers on current and expected billables through Mid-January and it is just workable without impacting our current 'normal' budget.

Will scratch my Warbird itch, my aerobatics itch, my formation and ACM itch, and give me an introduction to aircraft ownership with a great partner and friend.

Wish me luck!

20141205_144332_zpspofb9mb3.jpg

20141205_145532_zpsp6u32ftw.jpg

20141205_143745_zpspulh9fdh.jpg

'Gimp

what is the fuel burn on that baby?

If it's the 400hp one, 20+ in cruise, throw it all forward and the shadin will show over 40...remember it only has about 40 in the mains and 20 in the aux with an interesting cg, the one I got to fly could not have fuel in the aux and carry a pax so 1.5hrs of range with reserve at 135kts

Engine is stock 360hp. For formation and basic fun flying it's 12-15 gph, WOT it is somewhere better OMG and Holy $h!t!

Has 15 gal aux tank which makes for up to 3.5 or so hrs endurance.

Not a practical plane by any measure, but the most bang for the buck out there.

'Gimp

'Gimp, if you haven't already, give Tom Johnson (AirPower Insurance) a call. He speaks Yak!

Sweet. Might want to have that oil leak looked at:D Definitely go for it, if you don't it will haunt you til the end of your days.

Nice, have fun, you should enjoy it. There is a 52TW conversion as well that uses the CJ-6 fold in gear. I always wanted to stick a 985 on a CJ-6 and see how it faired.

Is that still an 'air' accessory plane or has it been converted to electric?

Damn that's a nice plane! Might just have to bring a 6 pack around as a bribe for a ride!!!

-Brian

'Gimp, if you haven't already, give Tom Johnson (AirPower Insurance) a call. He speaks Yak!
This Yak is available because it's current owner is buying a -50 from TJ and TJ already has the policy on this one - small world!

'Gimp

I see that you keep only two oil drain funnels under the engine when the airplane is parked. Must not leak much oil at all. ;)

I see that you keep only two oil drain funnels under the engine when the airplane is parked. Must not leak much oil at all. ;)

I always figured that if you could add a compression release device, at least to the bottom cylinders, that staked open the exhaust valves, you could avoid a lot of hassles and grief on radials. Just start the engine spinning with the exhaust valves hung open for a few blades then release for compression and fire off.

Go for it.. we ain't gettin any younger....:no:...

Ps.... Remember... On take off > LEFT rudder....:yes:;)

You only live once!!!!

Never seen a hearse with a trailer hitch right? Can't take it with you.

When life gives you YAK....make barf bags....and YAK it up!!!!

It's not done until money changes hands but all indications are this is gonna happen in January.

Insert happy dance smiley here.

'Gimp

On my Stearman it was the 0 rings. After replacement, it leaked very little. The mechanic who replaced them was very hip on radials and explained that this was usually the case. However.......I'm sure henning knows more and has worked on hundreds of them .

Update - this has moved from a 50% partnership to outright purchase - earnest money going in today, expect to close within the next 2-3 weeks pending outcome of Condition Inspection/Pre-Buy.

It ain't real until the registration changes but looking good - kinda scary (first plane purchase) but exciting.

20141205_144332_zpspofb9mb3.jpg

20141205_145532_zpsp6u32ftw.jpg

20150105_161706_zpsc0a33639.jpg

20150105_161044_zpsf440c724.jpg

'Gimp

Nice, what is the lever on the stick for?
The Yak's, Sukhoi's and Nanchang's all use pnuematics for brakes with a lever for actuation and a proportioning valve in the rudder circuit to direct brake force based on pedal position. Reportedly takes a couple minutes to get used to but very reliable. The lever also has a lock for setting it as parking brake.

'Gimp

That is a sweeeeet plane! Basing it out at Gillespie? I'll definitely have to come check it out when you get it!

Cheers

-Brian

Deal will be done and registration change goes in today with continued transition training planned through the next few days (2-3 more flights). Ended up being an offer I couldn't refuse.

This is really cool, I am very excited even though it is a big commitment.

20150207_100419_zpse45de6e5.jpg

20150207_100435_zps72014ee1.jpg

20150105_161143_zps3b432e6e.jpg

09F-1-1_zps87f7b7b5.png

09F-1-2_zpse6ce707c.png

20150207_122254_zpsc1ae3bed.jpg

'Gimp

The Yak's, Sukhoi's and Nanchang's all use pnuematics for brakes with a lever for actuation and a proportioning valve in the rudder circuit to direct brake force based on pedal position. Reportedly takes a couple minutes to get used to but very reliable. The lever also has a lock for setting it as parking brake.

'Gimp

Ah, cool, I could get used to that pretty easy, I'm used to hand brakes and air brakes.:lol:

Looks like you're going to have fun. Is that the 360hp? I saw they come in up to 475hp.

Deal will be done and registration change goes in today with continued transition training planned through the next few days (2-3 more flights). Ended up being an offer I couldn't refuse.

This is really cool, I am very excited even though it is a big commitment.

Did you get Brandon to throw in the Trident flag?

In the time honored POA tradition:

'Gimp, you suck!

John

Back