Potential New Ride

BryanAV8R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bryan
Thinking of upgrading from my current C172K to something a bit more 'sporty':

28085-jpeg.79546

Yeah, I've heard the comments about rag fuselages and wood wings. But, this one's been taken care of, hangared, and with a nice IFR stack including GPSS and altitude hold.

Interior is a bit...ummmm...70's funky. But that's ok, folks say it never wears out (and there are no rips or seam separations...and the carpet is in surprisingly decent shape.

28085interior-jpeg.79549

Prebuy next week...then we'll see...

Attachments

• 28085.jpeg
    28085.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 402
  • 28085interior.jpeg
    28085interior.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 404
I like it! What kind of cruise speeds will you see?

Cool! Looks like a nice ride!

I like this airplane. A colleague owns one. They are very structurally strong.. I believe there is an advertisement of them rolling it. Pretty fast too, and looks great.

For me those are way way way way way too small, and I am pretty close to my ideal weight. 15 minutes max and I'm dying. They do fly nice, and scoot right along at about 160kts true.

Cool. Is it difficult to find someone knowledgeable to pre-buy/annual these? They're neat planes, but I haven't had an opportunity to fly in one. Good luck with it.

Cool. Is it difficult to find someone knowledgeable to pre-buy/annual these? They're neat planes, but I haven't had an opportunity to fly in one. Good luck with it.

Dave Pasquale out in Pottstown (N47) worked for Witmer's for a long time and took over the business. Luckily enough, he's only a half hour from my home field.

Looks beautiful; those airplanes are legendary ( and followed by a lot of unverifiable rumor ). The 70's thing seems irrelevant if it's in great condition - the styling always struck me as plush.

Btw, thanks for introducing me to the inside jargon, "street cover" vs "manhole cover" in an earlier discussion. I got that sick feeling in my gut when you told the story of a lineman struck by a cover dropped on him.

Good luck with the Bellanca, and keep us posted, please.

Plush? Yeah, I guess so...reminded me of my french-canadian grandmother's wallpaper in the 'parlor'.

What really impressed me was the almost spooky absence of vibration when that big 6 cylinder mill in the front was running. I guess I'm used to the 4-pot lycomings; having a 6 cyl Connie on the front (and a 3-blade prop that's been balanced) really makes a difference...

Will keep all up to date; my pleasure re manhole cover...;) A bit of AT&T lore...

Nice! I love the Super Vikings.
There are some haters out there but don't listen to them
The Bellanca is a real great bang for the buck!

Beautiful plane. Those who don't like it can sit on the ground.

Nice plane.
You have to change your name though.
We.already have a Bryan. With a y.
Sorry.

:D

Beautiful plane. Those who don't like it can sit on the ground.

Agreed. I really enjoyed the couple of flights I did fly her. So, I'll just have to work through the settings, speeds, procedures, and get the landings down. It's just transition (and, to tell the truth, bumping around in 172s for 900+ hrs in the right seat, kind of rusty on high-perf/complex. And that's with 200 hrs in a malibu back when.

That, and the vikingpilots forum has been a gold mine of helpful, sometimes contradictory, information. Sift it all..but, being somewhat of one who marches to a slightly different drum, I guess it fits my personality. Used to drive Lotuses and restored old Honda pressed-steel frame bikes. Anyone can drive a Chevy. Not many people even knew what a Lotus Europa was..;)

Lovely airplanes. Looks like a nice one! Hope the pre-purchase inspection goes well.
There's a few Vike owners on this forum.

However, it does require a unique corrosion proofing process: :)

IMG_0550.JPG

Looks just like the Turbo Viking I used to fly...

Awesome airplane and it holds enough fuel for six hours of flight time!

Huge upgrade from a trainer

Like going from a bike with training wheels to a real bike.

I’d also look at the PA24

A friend owns one. Been up in it a few times. Love it.

He has his recently redone at the place (former manufacturer) in KAXN. Haven't seen it since..

But 160 kts is easily achievable.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The interior is usually velvety fuzzy stuff glued to the tubing and covered with trim pieces, like a cub. Kind of a strange thing to see in a high performance airplane, but the interior is very comfortable IMHO.

Huge upgrade from a trainer

Like going from a bike with training wheels to a real bike.

I’d also look at the PA24

There was a pa24 on the field, but the panel and interior is in serious need of upgrade for more $$$ on the ramp vs the Viking.

Yup, upgrade from a trainer. But, I've flown Real Airplanes before, even done time where you need to set the altimeter to 29.92 for hours at a time, and have burned some kerosene in my log.

That's why we do transition training, right?

You can check out Franks at 160knots.com

He had a ton of experience with this make and model ... he's on the left coast though, so his shops won't be convenient.

Flying out to Pottstown to drop off the plane for the prebuy today, I saw 165 MPH indicated (120K GS...headwind), but on the way back a fellow Vike owner flew myself and the seller back in his 550-powerd BSV and at 23/24 we were seeing 196K over the ground for 170MPH indicated.

Back