Potential good deal

Bill Jennings said:

Dropping the price because a required inspection is overdue is usually a clue that the owner thinks that the inspection will turn up some things that need doing....and you can bet he hasn't discounted by as much as he thinks it will end up being ;)

I don't buy or sell planes, cars or chia pets, but I'd be suspicious if I saw that wording on any of them :)

It's a 175 with a runout engine (GO300 geared engine). Wonderful plane, but a gorgeous example with low-time engine will go at most mid $30's.

No avionics, bad paint, bad interior, run out engine. If the airframe is good, what is it worth?

Project plane. Get ready to invest a pile of money in paint (see how chipped it is in the interior close-up), interior (torn seats, aluminum floor, and who knows what uner the slip-on seat back covers), and engine just for starters, and if you want more than a VFR flivver, a complete new panel with both instruments and avionics. Beyond that, why did the seller let it get out of annual? When was it last flown? You may not even be able to ferry this bird. Looks like something to stay away from unless you're Tom Downey and need something to work on in your spare time.

It would be a good deal if you could get it for nothing with about $5,000 in cash on the seat. Then after you spend $50,000 on engine, paint, interior, a couple of modest radios and annual it barring any major airframe repairs you might be at break even. Overhauling a GO-300 is not something you can count on getting done. Charlie Melot

I wouldn't overhaul this engine, personally. There are STC's available to put an O-360 in the plane, and I think you may save yourself a chunk of hassle in the long run. $30K to buy and install the new engine? I don't know if a GO-300 core has any value or not.

For that money, you can have a ready to fly Cherokee 140, Warrior, or Skyhawk.

Joe Williams said:
I don't know if a GO-300 core has any value or not.

YOU BET!, any good parts that come from that case or gear unit are worth money. Having a buyer know that you have the part requires advertising. Personnally when I'm parting out a plane (the system works the same for boats and cars as well) I'll visit the local shops and let them know what I have, sometimes they'll have a customer or depending on the part and shop, they'll buy them for stock. I'll also run an ad in TAP as well as look in the relevent "wanted" columns.

That may be an idea for you to make plane money and learn a lot about airplanes. The insurance companies use disposal pools to get rid of damaged aircraft. You get on these lists and buy wrecked airplanes and part them out. I always bid them at the value of their avionics, possibly also having allowances for rare and notoriously parts hungry engines, and aluminum mass and current price of scrap. Then just part them out for whatever good parts are left. When you've sold every part you can, you seperate the metals and haul them off to the scrappers. You have to have a place to store it, but when you take the wings, gear, engine&mount,and empenage off a 172...(to the best of my knowledge, you don't need an A&P ticket to do salvage and take them apart) it doesnt take much room to store it. If you make a good go of it, your kid could be competing on a level with White industries when he takes over.

Henning said:
Second thing is if Barron Thomas is involved...never mind, I might get sued.
Did you say Barron Thomas? Bite my tongue, bite my tongue, bite my tongue...

SJP said:
Dropping the price because a required inspection is overdue is usually a clue that the owner thinks that the inspection will turn up some things that need doing....and you can bet he hasn't discounted by as much as he thinks it will end up being ;)

I don't buy or sell planes, cars or chia pets, but I'd be suspicious if I saw that wording on any of them :)

I think I would find out why it's over due, before I made a statemen like that.

The fuselage and wings alone are worth the asking price, If you want to build a daily flyer the price is right.

180/220 horse mod.
paint and interior
instrument panel/yoke mod

So your into a 55-60k aircraft for about 60k But if that is what you want, you can't buy it anywhere else.

buy it, fly it until you have all the stuff to do the mods and that will limit your down time.

You may in fact enjoy flying that old GO-300-D

But here is a word of warning, If the Reduction gear assembly has excessive back lash in the gears it is junk. (grab the prop tip and see if you can feel free play in the gears) There is NO standard Reduction gear bearings ANYWHERE, and only a limited supply of of used gears, and .010" under bearings.

If you have a good gear box there is a waiting list at most salvage yards to buy one. $15k is what they cost USED.

That goes a long ways toward the conversion to the IO-360 Cont. 220 horse, or the 180 horse Lycoming 0-360.

larrysb said:
It's a 175 with a runout engine (GO300 geared engine). Wonderful plane, but a gorgeous example with low-time engine will go at most mid $30's.

No avionics, bad paint, bad interior, run out engine. If the airframe is good, what is it worth?

about 15-18k, the wings will sell for about 10-12k to an alaskan 180 driver.

Last edited:
Joe Williams said:
I wouldn't overhaul this engine, personally. There are STC's available to put an O-360 in the plane, and I think you may save yourself a chunk of hassle in the long run. $30K to buy and install the new engine? I don't know if a GO-300 core has any value or not.

For that money, you can have a ready to fly Cherokee 140, Warrior, or Skyhawk.

If the gear box and crank are with in service limits I'll give ya 20k for it. Most salvage yards will too.

Ron Levy said:

Awe Cheees I didn't see that. RUN,,,,,, and it ain't worth looking back.

charlie said:
Overhauling a GO-300 is not something you can count on getting done. Charlie Melot

I can almost say with certainty that you'll not get that one done.

4900 TT, 1250 SOH it's been done twice/three times before.

NC19143 said:
If the gear box and crank are with in service limits I'll give ya 20k for it. Most salvage yards will too.

If you can actually buy an old 175 with the gearbox and crank worth that much, that makes them even more attractive. They are very low priced planes, purely because of the engine. That would make it a lot more affordable to do the engine conversion, and you can make it pretty as you get time and money. I don't really know what the engine conversion costs. I've got $30K in my head because that's what I remember seeing on Penn Yan's site to install the O-360 in a Skyhawk.

Joe Williams said:
If you can actually buy an old 175 with the gearbox and crank worth that much, that makes them even more attractive. They are very low priced planes, purely because of the engine. That would make it a lot more affordable to do the engine conversion, and you can make it pretty as you get time and money. I don't really know what the engine conversion costs. I've got $30K in my head because that's what I remember seeing on Penn Yan's site to install the O-360 in a Skyhawk.

That's a double edged sword though. If you have a good GO-300, why would you part with it? If you want a 175 with an O-360 in it, get it already done. You can't sell the GO-300 and install the O-360 (or IO 360) for less than you can get it already done for unless you are doing the work, and doing it on a field approval, not buying the STC, and even then maybe not.

Ron Levy said:

Did I miss something? I always thought that was a good place to look for discounted planes. Can someone please fill me in.

Henning said:
That's a double edged sword though. If you have a good GO-300, why would you part with it? If you want a 175 with an O-360 in it, get it already done. You can't sell the GO-300 and install the O-360 (or IO 360) for less than you can get it already done for unless you are doing the work, and doing it on a field approval, not buying the STC, and even then maybe not.

If I had a 175 with a good GO-300 in it, I wouldn't part with it till it needed replaced. OTOH, if I were looking at a plane like the one in the first post, it needs an engine now, or will soon. However, at $18K it may be worth buying and putting an O-360 in, especially if you can do so for a cost of $10K - $15K after selling off our old engine. Jumping into a C175 for $33K isn't a bad deal, it doesn't seem to me, and leaves you with a fine starting point for making a nice plane. Or just getting off the ground in an ugly one, depending on how much money you have.

Joe Williams said:
If I had a 175 with a good GO-300 in it, I wouldn't part with it till it needed replaced. OTOH, if I were looking at a plane like the one in the first post, it needs an engine now, or will soon. However, at $18K it may be worth buying and putting an O-360 in, especially if you can do so for a cost of $10K - $15K after selling off our old engine. Jumping into a C175 for $33K isn't a bad deal, it doesn't seem to me, and leaves you with a fine starting point for making a nice plane. Or just getting off the ground in an ugly one, depending on how much money you have.

Here is one time a guy who knows GO-300- is worth the pre-buy price.

Joe Williams said:

Maybe, although with $33k in it plus some more, you can start looking at nice 170 taildraggers. Choices choices. I still think I'll end up in one of 2-3 planes, a Citabria if I prevail, and a Tiger or M20F if she prevails ;-)

Joe Williams said:

What makes you think it has a good crank, case, and gearbox? You pay $45k for a good plane with good crank, case and gearbox.

Joe Williams said:
However, at $18K it may be worth buying and putting an O-360 in, especially if you can do so for a cost of $10K - $15K after selling off our old engine.

Cost of STC conversion, complete, all parts and engine/prop for FP O360 - $40K, add $5k for C/S prop. A shop in Porterville does this conversion, I spoke with the owner when I was researching the 175, he said that was the realistic price.

Franklin Engines has an STC for a 220hp version, with a new Franklin PZL, where-ever those are made now.

I've seen in annual, ok looking, ok equipped, low time engine 175 sell in the mid 20's.

From what I understand, a nice healthy 175, especially the later C/S prop model, is a joy to fly behind that smooth running engine and slow turning prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Levy

Iceman said:
Did I miss something? I always thought that was a good place to look for discounted planes. Can someone please fill me in.
No. Barron Thomas has been the subject of a number of both negative and positive comments, and IIRC, has taken legal action against some negative commenters.

Henning said:
Second thing is if Barron Thomas is involved...never mind, I might get sued.

Ron Levy said:

I just got a "I want to buy your plane." postcard from that guy.

I am SICK of constantly having to toss junk mail like that. WHY, WHY, O WHY can't we make ownership records private like pilot records?

Re: Potential good deal/ a better deal

Bill Jennings said:

1960 CESSNA 175, GO-300A, 175hp. 1500 TTAF, 900 SMOH (1200 TBO). 2 KX170B's, transponder/ encoder, KMA20 audio panel, KI-214 LOC/GS, intercom. New Slick mags & harness. Paint/8, interior/8. New horizon indicator, altimeter & DG. $24,900. UT/(435) 574-0545.

Might be rebuidable one more time.

1960 175A, 1895 TT, 300 SFREM, 16 STOH. O-360 180hp Lycoming, Hartzell prop, 35 SPOH. Narco 120, Narco 810, transponder AT150, intercom, always hangared, $47,000. MI/(517) 627-9688.
http://tappix.com/718879

Already done 180 horse under 50k..Good deal? it's worth a look.

1960 C175-A: 2040-TT, 146 SMOH, Cont. GO-300, new STec, starter, radio, Cont. cables, strobes, interior, shoulder belts, all logs, needs paint. $30,000. WA/(206) 595-8209.

They are out there, with or without conversion. note the times since major, there are shops that will overhaul the GO-300-D.

I had a friend bring me a early 175 for pre-buy/annual last summer, it needed a gear box but run well, equipped with 2 Narco 12Ds IFR radio package, very clean fuselage, and interior.

I talked to Western Skyways about rebuilding the Reduction gear box, they quoted 7500 for regrinding the reduction gears shafts to .010 under and fitting new .010 under bearings. the owner considered it because the engine had 6 new ECI cylinders and ran really great.

He desided to dump the aircraft for 18k. and it sold in a week.

mikea said:
I just got a "I want to buy your plane." postcard from that guy.

I am SICK of constantly having to toss junk mail like that. WHY, WHY, O WHY can't we make ownership records private like pilot records?

I get them all the time too. They are just a very small drop in the sea to the amount of other junk mail I receive. I bet the US Postal Service would go out of business if junk mail was banned.

Back