posting from Tuscany - ballooning

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Ballooning in Tuscany - photos

howdy folks. thought you'd get a kick from my experiences yesterday. I'm in Pienza right now and shortly heading out to Rome. This is something I wrote to friends in an email. never mind the typos, I'm not completely used to Italian keyboards and will correct typos later...

=================

Today was one of my most memorable travel days yet - as in ever. It will be hard to decide which overall travel experience is going to go down as my favorite of all time, chronologically they are so far:

Galloping horseback, surfside, along the Pacific Ocean in Peru. uncontrollable giggling as the horse thumped along the beach.

Flying over Whistler in British Columbia...

Volcano run in New Zealand. (giggling the whole way down - if you ever get a chance to run through scree, by all means, do it!)

Zorbing in New Zealand. (non-stop giggling. and I mean helplessly nonstop)

and this morning... ballooning in Tuscany. (google that phrase if you want to know more). such a pretty day and what magnificent countryside. perfect weather and 50 miles viz.

I got up at 445 AM and made my way to Montisi. I actually decided to do a dry run last night just to make sure I wasn't wandering around aimlessly at 530 AM today. it worked out well - I found the place last night just before sunset (a beautiful time to be out) and then went back to Pienza. That drive bw Castelmuzio and Montisi is now one of my favorites - it really reminded me of the Corniche drives above Monte Carlo and Nice. zoom zoom zoom. very twisty windy curvy. Last night I also visited Sant'Anna in Camprena - the English Patient abbey. (we also saw it from above today).

can you believe I didn't take one single photo the whole time today?

Robert and Liz (the balloonists) are a lovely couple and needless to say I now have new friends in Tuscany with an open invitation to come back any time I want (even if I don't go ballooning). What a production to get it all prepared! He used big fans to get it partially blown up and he then used the flames to get the balloon itself to rise. the basket then righted itself and we all clambered in.

then the takeoff. I remarked that it reminded me of the Wizard of Oz - haha! we lifted slowly slowly up and up. it was such a gentle graceful glide and it appeared we were headed right for the trees but he didn't even graze them as we passed (but it sure looked close!). We saw the Abbey from way up above. He pointed out all the various spots off in the distance and let me tell you, Tuscany is now one of my favorite spots on earth. (it's in stiff company but it's up there to be sure). We were up at 2000 feet at one point and a few other times down so low we were almost grazing the ground. As we passed some agriturismos the folks came outside to wave and take photos. that was when he descended to just above the rooftops - boy did they get a good view. Can you do that in the US? aren't the rules the same for balloons as planes in the US?

we had dogs barking at us at various times, and saw many deer. near the end as we landed in a field some horses came out to investigate. they were separated from us by a fence but as we were descending to land they were all lined up watching. what a hoot!

The other couple was from Phoenix, and, Robert's brother Mark (Robert is the pilot) went along as well. Lovely lovely person, we talked quite a bit after we landed and come to find out he was Kristin Scott Thomas's babysitter way back in the day. Can you guess how that conversation started? Also come to find out his wife is the niece of the Duke of... (it sounded like he said Fief but I doubt that was right, I have asked one of my British friends who is very knowledgable about everyone in royalty to figure it out although we did exchange emails so I suppose I could ask him, he was very forthcoming about it all.) at any rate he knows the Queen as well as the Princes and so forth. I thought that was pretty interesting.

After landing we loaded it up in the jeep and trailer and headed back. on the way back Mark and I stood in the basket which was bungee'd to the trailer. We were warned that if Robert tooted twice it was the carabinieri and we were to duck down into the basket. (which didn't happen but of course I'd have real trouble not peeping anyway)

It was so much fun - like a very bumpy convertible ride after a balloon ride. All of a sudden Italian fighter jets ROARED overhead, doing very low passes, and then I really squealed and jumped up and down. There were four of them and I was enthralled watching them. (I feel the need... the need for speed! hahaha name that quote). I suppose we were lucky they didn't try that while we were airborne as they were definitely that low!

I will write more later... and did you really believe I didn't take a single photo?

Last edited:
What fun, Beth.

A fabulous part of the world, and a fabulous thing to do, too.

Thanks for some good ideas! I looked up the site when you were first talking about going there - what more could you want, airborne and surrounded by good food!!!! :D

as an aside, I don't know why someone would be so sneaky as to give this thread a single star and not have the personal honor to at least post and say their reasons. It's like some nasty little brat hiding in the bushes and throwing rocks at people when their backs are turned. Sheesh. So I gave it a bump in the ratings! ;)

Last edited:
Personally I think Beth is having too much fun. Must be nice to go to Europe on VACATION, rather than business. Oh well, we've got a cruise to Alaska in three weeks and a week in Hawaii in July. Can't be too jealous, now can I?

smigaldi said:
So very nice and as for the photo thing...Too much lemincello or grappa made you forget didn't it :D:D

THread drift...

Last time I was in Abq. on business, hanging out in a hotel bar (late...) there was a woman who was planning on going ballooning the next morning, early. She was drinking with us in the bar until well after midnight-thirty. I always wondered how she felt at departure around 5 AM....

thanks gentlemen, glad you liked it!

actually I took 250 photos, I was being tongue in cheek. :D

I'm glad you're having so much fun. THAT's why no pictures! When you're having a blast, you're not thinking about pausing to take a picture!

I hope the rest of your trip is just as much fun!

BTW, our horses watched the hot air balloons all the time (tons of them in NJ where I used to live) and your comment reminded me so much of them lining up to watch everything I had to giggle. I always wondered what they were thinking, nudging each other and snorting in between stares. (Silly two leggers, you think they'll ever get it right?)

LOL!

Have fun and take care and eat some torte della nonna for me.

terry

am looking through photos now...

yep, I'm baaaaaaaaaaack. :blowingkisses:

stories to follow if you can stand to hear more...

woodstock said:

Welcome back and glad you had a good time. I am looking forward to the stories and adventures

woodstock said:
Zorbing in New Zealand. (non-stop giggling. and I mean helplessly nonstop)

Also off-topic, but... what the heck is "zorbing"?

--Kath

woodstock said:

Liz,

Bring it on! :yes: Sounds like an awful lot of fun! :D

Ghery said:
Personally I think Beth is having too much fun. Must be nice to go to Europe on VACATION, rather than business. Oh well, we've got a cruise to Alaska in three weeks and a week in Hawaii in July. Can't be too jealous, now can I?

that sounds super, wow!

smigaldi said:
Welcome back and glad you had a good time. I am looking forward to the stories and adventures

surely! if you can stand it, you'll hear about it. heh.

wsuffa said:
THread drift...

Last time I was in Abq. on business, hanging out in a hotel bar (late...) there was a woman who was planning on going ballooning the next morning, early. She was drinking with us in the bar until well after midnight-thirty. I always wondered how she felt at departure around 5 AM....

eek. not so good I am sure. you could get dizzy I think...

Terry - aren't horses great? so inquisitive.

Dave, this was pretty darn cool I have to say. I definitely want to go back up again.

woodstock said:
I took over 1300 photos this trip. are you suuuuuuuuuuure? :D

Better ask Chuck how big his hard drive is! :hairraise:

I'll just download until my cell phone melts. :D

11hrur6.jpg

This is my friend Monica and me... I've got sunglasses on.

this is in Venice, she ended her trip in Venice and I started there so we met up for dinner a few times...

woodstock said:
11hrur6.jpg

This is my friend Monica and me... I've got sunglasses on.

this is in Venice, she ended her trip in Venice and I started there so we met up for dinner a few times...

Hey!!! Where is the vino??

actually that was breakfast. the morning after I arrived I was up pretty early (6 AM) and after getting ready walked from my hotel to hers (which had a terrace on a canal) - about a 45 minute walk, bright and early in Venice, NO tourists or even locals to be had. the way it should be done!

woodstock said:
actually that was breakfast. the morning after I arrived I was up pretty early (6 AM) and after getting ready walked from my hotel to hers (which had a terrace on a canal) - about a 45 minute walk, bright and early in Venice, NO tourists or even locals to be had. the way it should be done!

There are two points in Venice that are a 45 minute walk apart? :p Nice leisurely stroll.

Ghery said:
There are two points in Venice that are a 45 minute walk apart? :p Nice leisurely stroll.

for me, that's a QUICK stroll. usually I look in every window and don't forget, my first 24 hours I took 500 photos. actually that walk may have been more than 45 mins come to think of it. :p

Great photos! Looks like it was a wonderful time . . . dang, jealous again! :D

Back