Postal Service Delivery Time

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
I've read the USPS website and their delivery timeframe they list for first class doesn't seem to have changed over the past few years. But I've noticed a 1-2 day delay for a while now. It's frustrating because I used to have an incredible turn-around time for mailing invoices and receiving checks. Now it's 3-4 days longer than it was last year. Something has changed, I'm just not sure what or why. Especially since they seem to be fighting to stay alive amidst the competition.

It's also irritating that some days the postman comes by at 10 a.m., some days noon, 2 p.m....as late as 5:30 p.m.

And I'm the last one to complain about the price. Fiftysome cents to mail a letter is dirt cheap. Inexpensive enough that I send my customers pre-stamped return envelopes for convenience. They could double the price and I would still think it's fair. Or at least it would be if they'd deliver like they used to.

The guy at the local post office claims they're going to privatize the whole thing within the next couple years.

It's centralization. I used to mail stuff from the local post office and it got cancelled there. Now every item goes in a bin, sent to some central clearing house, cancelled, sorted, sent on its way. To go across the street now takes two days.
Oh, and half the time fed ex is handling cross country traffic. Smart Post indeed.
Still, a damned site better than Canada or the UK.

The more they try to save money,the longer the service takes.

It's centralization. I used to mail stuff from the local post office and it got cancelled there. Now every item goes in a bin, sent to some central clearing house, cancelled, sorted, sent on its way. To go across the street now takes two days.

Too often true... My parents live in same town, within 5 miles of where I live. The Christmas card they sent had to go to a central processing facility 40 miles away just to get sent back to local Post Office and delivered to me. 3 day transit.

Everyone knows that checks travel through the mail at less than half the speed of bills

Sent a check to New Jersey 1st class return receipt from here just north of Corpus Christi last month. Expected arrival 3-5 days. Tracked it to Corpus the first day. Left Corpus next morning. USPS could not find my letter for the next 30 some odd days. Had the local postmaster get on and try to get THEIR OWN SYSTEM to try to intercept the letter as it was a time sensitive deal. Three days of trying to get the usps system to do what it was supposed to do drove the Post Master nuts. He finally got the phone number of the destination post office and called the postmaster there. Had him watch for my letter and intercept it. They finally caught it over 40 days later and returned it to me. Two days back travel.

Too often true... My parents live in same town, within 5 miles of where I live. The Christmas card they sent had to go to a central processing facility 40 miles away just to get sent back to local Post Office and delivered to me. 3 day transit.

Yup....

Up till 6 years ago, local letters just got stuffed in other local boxes.. next day mail for local letters...

Then they decided ALL mail gets routed to Rock Springs Wy 150 miles away to speed up things.. That added 2 days delay....

Then, since the USPS didn't learn from their mistakes, just last month they now send ALL mail to Salt Lake City 220 miles away to speed things up... Now it takes 2 weeks or more to get a letter the the house next door... Bad part is they lose 50% of more in the " updated delivery system"..:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad:

Last edited:
Birthday cards for the grandkids go to a sort facility in Columbus, 90 miles away to come back to my daughters' houses 5 minutes away. Pick up and delivery at the same local PO but for "efficiency", it goes from my house to the PO to Columbus back to the SAME PO to their house.

Thank God for automatic bank bill pay or I would probably be delinquent even if I mailed a payment a month in advance. :D

Of course in the meatheads in Congress would relax the pension payment schedule as has been asked by the USPS for years and years, things might be better.

Cheers

Birthday cards for the grandkids go to a sort facility in Columbus, 90 miles away to come back to my daughters' houses 5 minutes away. Pick up and delivery at the same local PO but for "efficiency", it goes from my house to the PO to Columbus back to the SAME PO to their house.

Thank God for automatic bank bill pay or I would probably be delinquent even if I mailed a payment a month in advance. :D

Of course in the meatheads in Congress would relax the pension payment schedule as has been asked by the USPS for years and years, things might be better.

Cheers

Are you kidding..:dunno::dunno:...

That is what has bankrupt the PO now...

Letter carriers making 6 figures after 25 years on the job.... :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Cheers
So is this "getting even"?

I've read the USPS website and their delivery timeframe they list for first class doesn't seem to have changed over the past few years. But I've noticed a 1-2 day delay for a while now. It's frustrating because I used to have an incredible turn-around time for mailing invoices and receiving checks. Now it's 3-4 days longer than it was last year. Something has changed, I'm just not sure what or why. Especially since they seem to be fighting to stay alive amidst the competition.

It's also irritating that some days the postman comes by at 10 a.m., some days noon, 2 p.m....as late as 5:30 p.m.

And I'm the last one to complain about the price. Fiftysome cents to mail a letter is dirt cheap. Inexpensive enough that I send my customers pre-stamped return envelopes for convenience. They could double the price and I would still think it's fair. Or at least it would be if they'd deliver like they used to.

There was a change at he beginning of this year. I did read an article at that time that that delivery times would increase and they did. I get a letter from two states away every week and it's consistently one day longer.

http://abc13.com/news/expect-more-shipping-delays-from-usps-next-year/441159/

Are you kidding..:dunno::dunno:...

That is what has bankrupt the PO now...

Letter carriers making 6 figures after 25 years on the job.... :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Please give proof of mail carriers making six figures. Ours is a vietnam vet and has worked as a carrier since discharge in the early 70s and makes no where near that. I use the mail a lot and it works well. The congress should have to abide by the same monetary rules as the post office concerning retirement money. The congress, not the post office needs a complete redo. The post office would show a profit if it were not for this misguided rule.

Jimmy cooper;1879124[B said:
]Please give proof of mail carriers making six figures. [/B]Ours is a vietnam vet and has worked as a carrier since discharge in the early 70s and makes no where near that. I use the mail a lot and it works well. The congress should have to abide by the same monetary rules as the post office concerning retirement money. The congress, not the post office needs a complete redo. The post office would show a profit if it were not for this misguided rule.

I will not do simple fact finding for your sorry a$$....

The postal UNION has furnished those figures in the past.....

Ha... Keep looking...

Don't forget to include 25 years of service....

Not starting pay...:rolleyes:

Link says entry level is $32k, average is $42k, late career is $57.5k. Where did I miss $100k? :confused:

Cheers

Noticed that a lot recently, Netflix can ship a disk from their warehouse 20 miles away and it used to be here next day, now it's constantly 3 days

The postal service knows it needs to downsize to stem the losses. But Congress won't let them shut little Post Offices that aren't needed. So they had to shut bigger distribution centers that were needed.

Net result -- a letter has to farther, takes longer, and useless small-town postmasters keep their jobs.

Wonder if they go private if they'll learn how to handle hazardous materials? The "contract" shippers don't seem to have too many problems.

It is just another incompetent government run organization, yes I know strictly legally speaking it isn't, but it is. The world has changed and USPS hasn't. They can not change anything, getting rid of Saturday delivery is perfect example. It would allow you to reduce the head count on delivery people by 16%, but that didn't happen. I would even reduce it to M-W-F for that matter.

I have had too many letters just never show up. I have lived in the same house for 5 years in a 100 year old neighborhood and recently my credit card company said that mail was coming back undeliverable as the address didn't exist. This wasn't some hand scrawled letter, it was a computer generated bar coded address and they couldn't find my address? Twice this has happened. I did complain online, the local USPS person did call to apologize but they couldn't answer WHY it happened. My guess is a lazy incompetent employee just didn't care and that is the problem.

Back