Post Forum Registration Checklist ...

Pilot-Dave

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Hi all,

I thought I'd take a second to introduce myself to the community. My name is Dave, and I'm a new student pilot working toward a Private Pilot certificate. I've a whopping 6.5 hours in the logbook so far!

I'm training at Indianapolis Metropolitan Airport (KUMP) in a Diamond Eclipse DA20. I had always envisioned taking lessons in a Cessna, but my discovery flight was in the diamond, and it worked out that my first lesson would be too so I stuck with it ... now I really like that lil' plane. :) (I will fly the 172 for the first time this weekend.)

I've been having a blast, naturally, and find that I can't stop thinking/talking about flying. Unfortunately there aren't too many people around me particularly interested in listening to me go on and on (and on) about it. :p Since, I haven't really found a community of pilots/students here in Indy with whom to "hangar fly", I'm doubly glad to find the PoA site/community. (Any of you in the Indianapolis area? Midwest?)

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

- Dave

Hi all,

I thought I'd take a second to introduce myself to the community. My name is Dave, and I'm a new student pilot working toward a Private Pilot certificate. I've a whopping 6.5 hours in the logbook so far!

I'm training at Indianapolis Metropolitan Airport (KUMP) in a Diamond Eclipse DA20. I had always envisioned taking lessons in a Cessna, but my discovery flight was in the diamond, and it worked out that my first lesson would be too so I stuck with it ... now I really like that lil' plane. :) (I will fly the 172 for the first time this weekend.)

I've been having a blast, naturally, and find that I can't stop thinking/talking about flying. Unfortunately there aren't too many people around me particularly interested in listening to me go on and on (and on) about it. :p Since, I haven't really found a community of pilots/students here in Indy with whom to "hangar fly", I'm doubly glad to find the PoA site/community. (Any of you in the Indianapolis area? Midwest?)

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

- Dave

Welcome, Dave. We can talk about aviation all day and all night. I remember during my student pilot training my family and friends got so sick of me talking about planes. Especially describing a flight using pilot talk that they didn't understand. You will like it here.

Dave:

Let me add to the welcome. I am not near as cute as Kim, but I am... more hairy?

I love the DA20, bet you will too. Keep us posted on your progress, and one day soon, you'll meet some of us.

Welcome. Kimberly is the only one who guarantees a response within 3 minutes.

Dave:

Let me add to the welcome. I am not near as cute as Kim, but I am... more hairy?

I love the DA20, bet you will too. Keep us posted on your progress, and one day soon, you'll meet some of us.

You don't know how hairy I am, I've never met you.

And Dave - there are lots of events where members here meet, I'm sure you saw "other" aviation forums - but to me - I don't get the feel at those "other" places that all the pilots have met before. Though far away from them all, I have met many from this board and quite honestly credit all of them with the completion of my pilot cert. Without these folks helping me when I was a student like you I don't think I could have made it.

You don't know how hairy I am, I've never met you.

Kim, I know how hairy *I* am... and that's enough to know!

Pray that, when we are at Gaston's, you don't see me in my swim trunks! :yikes:

Hi Dave - Welcome to PoA. I'm not *near* Indy. I'm in Toledo. (TDZ) But it's only 152nm away. So if you decide to to TDZ or TOL for your xc let me know! (Yeah that seems far now for you but in a Diamond that'd probably take a little over an hour)

I fly Piper Warriors and Cessna 172's (Hoping to get done with my checkride this weekend. (If you need someone to kick you in the butt to keep going let me know....I have had everything possible happen during my training)

Welcome, Dave. I'm in New York. And hairy in my own way.

I did my primary training in the DA20 and loved it. If only they maed it in a true IFR version....

I've thought that too. Unfortunately the school/club I'm working with doesn't have a DA40 or anything to rent, so I guess I'll have to move on to Cessnas for IFR stuff?

Hi Dave - Welcome to PoA. I'm not *near* Indy. I'm in Toledo. (TDZ) But it's only 152nm away. So if you decide to to TDZ or TOL for your xc let me know! (Yeah that seems far now for you but in a Diamond that'd probably take a little over an hour)

Oh yeah that's not too far at all, really ... we could easily end up at the same regional fly-in. :)

I fly Piper Warriors and Cessna 172's (Hoping to get done with my checkride this weekend. (If you need someone to kick you in the butt to keep going let me know....I have had everything possible happen during my training)

Nice, good luck/congrats!

I believe the closest fly in for us is the one in Philly coming up next month. But I won't make it.

Welcome, and happy studies. Please take care of 571MA. She's a great plane, and near and dear to my heart.

:yikes: Wow! That's the very plane! I will, she's a great plane indeed. Are you from the Indy area?

Yes. And 571MA is the plane I did all my training and check ride in. If you find my Chicago sectional in there, you can have it. It's out of date anyway. I left it in there the last time I flew her, which was some time last year.

Dude!

Welcome.

My ride used to be parked just up the road at Westfield and I did a bunch of landings there at KUMP getting my feet back in the game before I brought it home.

I hope you like cleaning bugs off the prop / leading edges. I think I accumulated enough bug mass in about three hours that I should have adjusted my weight and balance...

Yes. And 571MA is the plane I did all my training and check ride in.

Very cool to find some 'local' folks on here as well! Are you a part of any a club around here? I may have to pick your brains a bit about the local scene. :)

Dude! Welcome.

My ride used to be parked just up the road at Westfield and I did a bunch of landings there at KUMP getting my feet back in the game before I brought it home.

I hope you like cleaning bugs off the prop / leading edges. I think I accumulated enough bug mass in about three hours that I should have adjusted my weight and balance...

Haha no kidding. We landed once with enough 'bug mass' that someone asked if there had been a bird strike or something. :rofl:

Welcome home

Thanks!

Very cool to find some 'local' folks on here as well! Are you a part of any a club around here? I may have to pick your brains a bit about the local scene. :)
Not a member of a club. I looked at a long standing local club, which I understand to be well run. There were memberships to be had for a song, but the plane availability looked to be less than I wanted. But that's not to say it wouldn't be a good choice.

I ended up buying in to a partnership that looked to be perfect for my needs. So far, I am happy with that decision.

Back