Post Flight Cleaning products

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
What is a recommended cleaning product for wiping down the wings and cleaning off smashed bugs when you put the plane back into the hangar?

Is there a product that is purchased as a concentrate and we dilute to a specific spec?

What ever product our club has been using worked well. But the club member who last purchased it has moved on, and none of the remaining members know what it was.

While we're discussing cleaning items, please provide suggestions on keeping the floor carpets and the leather seating clean and in good condition.

Wash-Wax-All works pretty good.

Last time I was at Aircraft Spruce, I found some stuff called Flightbrite that works just as good as WWA, but is noticeably cheaper.

I like wash and wax all but also use maguire s cleaner wax

you don't need to spend a dime, everything you need you can steal from your spouse or your kids. Take a plant mister bottle, fill with water, add a few drops of dawn dishwashing detergent. As good as any general cleaner you can buy and safe for all surfaces.

I like Wash Wax all too. There is also a special towel that they sell at Oshkosh that you jet get wet and it wipes everything clean with no soap or chemicals needed but I forgot the name of it.

like everyone said, a spray bottle with water. I follow up with a liquid detail wax (armor all just b/c it's cheap) and wipe it on the leading edges of the wings, tail and cowl. It just makes it easier to wipe the bugs off next time.

the worst things you can do is go long periods of times b/t cleanings. the bugs get much harder to remove.

What is a recommended cleaning product for wiping down the wings and cleaning off smashed bugs when you put the plane back into the hangar?

I like Meguiars Quick Detailer. Gets the bugs off easy, but doesn't strip the wax like Dawn. Available at any auto parts store.

On my personal plane, I keep it waxed and use Lucas speed wax spray between flights.

For the work planes we use "purple power" de-greaser from walmart, dilute it in a spray bottle, mist and wipe with a rag, works well (and fast) on bugs, piston oil/grease and turbine soot too.

Pledge works great on plexiglass

For many of my landings Resolve will get those stains off of the seats.

Top two products for debugging the leading edges after flight, in my experience:

1. Wash/Wax All by Aero Cosmetics

2. That Bug Stuff by Eagle Lake Solutions

My mechanic likes TBS but I think WWA is as good or better. (and TBS does not seem to be available any more)

Also, though the OP didn't ask: for cleaning the windshield and windows, Markley's All Kleer.

Undiluted water and a microfibre towel (available in the aviation department of WalMart). Works best if used as soon after the flight as reasonably possible. Delayed use requires slightly more time and more undiluted water.

Lemon Pledge

I wish they still made it in a pump spray. Pledge was our cleanser of choice going all the way back to my Goldwing motorcycle days.

The aerosol stuff just ain't the same. It turns into something like a gel when applied, and doesn't remove the bugs as well.

Back